"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Meanwhile, windbag Cameron, who hands over our taxes wholesale to  half of Europe so they can build luxury houses in their own countries while many here have to fork out thousands a month in rent  to foreign landlords  is spouting on about our 'Healthy Economy'

Obviously he hasen't bought a  bag of Peco coal lately.

Or tried bed and breakfast in South Kensington...

But Flieschmann have the right idea - 500 quid a loco now - without chip !

But only here, not in Germany, or anywhere else for that matter with a 'Healthy Economy'

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 2

Just bought a bag of Peco coal at £4.75.

I can remember when you could have bought half a ton for that !

Mind you, it came in grotty sacks and not a pretty plastic bag...

One of the benefits of having an open fire. Just raid the coal bucket :) 

And the stress relief when smashing it down to a suitable size for wagon loads is rather handy.

"Bloody Allan [sMASH] Downes! [sMASH]. Why can't I [sMASH] make buildings [sMASH] that bloody [sMASH] nice!!! [sMASH][sMASH][sMASH]" :jester:

NOTIFICATIONS

I only ever seem to be able to choose one of these from the icon list but this morning for example, one kind member managed to send me 11 notifications all at the same time and all saying the same thing !

This in fact happens daily and I was just wondering how it is done !

But keep 'em coming anyway !

Cheers.

Allan.

NOTIFICATIONS

I only ever seem to be able to choose one of these from the icon list but this morning for example, one kind member managed to send me 11 notifications all at the same time and all saying the same thing !

This in fact happens daily and I was just wondering how it is done !

But keep 'em coming anyway !

Cheers.

Allan.

And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you manage to build something amazing with them and make the rest of us green with envy! :O

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

Bin hung with some kind of bug that's doing its yearly round fo a couple of days when suddenly I got caught off gaurd by an almost fatal dose of American christmas syrup.

Didn't get it all as I drifted off into a coma at the sight of some orphaned nine year old kid who had been " Living in the woods off sticks and ants for the past few months " with a note pinned to his tattered jumper explaining what he was doing in the woods in the first place and who dumped him there where the couple who found him found " Do you believe in love at first sight ? " with each other as they wrapped presents for the local orphanage where our ant eating kid had now settled in shoveling back bus wheel sized pitzas as the reas tof the kids rehearsed their christmas concert.  Misty eyes and syrupy sighs ensued as the ambulance arrived just in time to save me from a coma inducing ending - something to do with an uzi and a couple of hand grenades - or so I was told by the Doctors  in order to revive me... 

Then by way of rehabilitation I watched a REAL  picture of America, unabridged,  stripped of all syrup - Al Capone meets Machine Gun Kelly directed by Bonnie And Clyde

Edited by allan downes

Question asked on the radio this morning

"Why do posh people drive into the countryside, park up their bentleys and range rovers, change into green wellies, unpack ten grands worth of Holland & Holland, sling it over their shoulder then spend the rest of the day blasting small species of wild life to pieces, then finaly retire to the nearest pub celebrating yet another pointless wholesale slaughter of defenceless animals with high fives and a generous helping of game pie leaving behind them many a wounded animal to crawl into the undergrowth to die as they swill it all down with vast ammounts of Claret ?

Wimps by birth, wimps by nature trying to look macho in a real mans world ?

My Dad nicknamed a group of shooters who came to the farm where he worked and I grew up the 'Italian Machine Gun corps.' Yes they were Italian, let off loads of bullets and never hit much if anything. Eco hunters I suppose! Apologies to any Italians.

We loved the hunt as well. They used to ride across the farm leaving gates open. I still remember on occasion walking round the field with him to find the cows because they had been let out. I was once told they stopped coming in the end because the railway line was relatively close to the railway as the crow flies, though still a few miles, and the foxes knew it and used to lead the hounds to it, the smart foxes didn't usually get caught.

• Like 2

One of my club colleagues turned up with a Colron-stained O gauge watermill this evening which he said he'd "bought off some famous bloke I've never heard of..."

It looked not dissimilar to the water mill on page 110 except that the main building had a different extension on it and a flight of steps going up the outside of the gable end.

I did photograph it, but still haven't found my camera lead....

One of my club colleagues turned up with a Colron-stained O gauge watermill this evening which he said he'd "bought off some famous bloke I've never heard of..."

It looked not dissimilar to the water mill on page 110 except that the main building had a different extension on it and a flight of steps going up the outside of the gable end.

I did photograph it, but still haven't found my camera lead....

He might never have heard of him before, but, if it was Allan he came face to face with, I suspect he'll remember him thereafter ... 

Allan, I do like the Artex finish on your coaling tower.... most authentic.  I  lived in student digs with ceilings like that, same sooty appearance too.

It's achieved using a real cement and mucky water mix - something similar to what students are coated in.

Cheers.

Allan

• Like 2

Here's a story broken down to ease the boredom of it.

Many years ago I was making buildings for a shop in London to sell.

One morning I turned up before the shop had opened with a load of stuff.

Owner arrives "Mornin' Allan, have you looked at the new lot of models in the window ? New supplier that knocks you into a cocked hat - mate "

I looked at said buildings then said " Got a stanley knife handy ?" -- "What for ?" --- " To cut the bottom out of any one you choose and if my name's not there on the inside I'll buy the lot - deal ? "  

And so it was and it turned out that some guy had gone around buying all my buildings up from wherever he could then flogged then off claiming that he made them.

Except for the windmill...

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You wonder why he did that as he would have found it difficult to maintain the supply. Most people would expect it to be the other way round trying to pass off second rate stuff as your work. Regards

Don

Right guys, me and the missus are upping stakes and headin' West up into the Colorado mountains with American O16 narrow gauge and since American On3 might not be appropriate here I reckon I'll have to post progress elsewhere so I won't be around to  post anymore but I shall be looking in now and then just to keep an eye on y'all !.

So guys, thanks for all your support and for making this thread so successful. Without you guys it would have died on it's feet ages ago.

Therefore, best regards  to you all and I hope to see you in the narrow gauge section and now I'm off to build a six foot trestle bridge !

Cheers.

Allan and long suffering missus who's just bought me  six dump trucks and a two truck shay - yay !