"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Guten Tag!

Today I are mainly been doing this ..........

post-20303-0-43310200-1433257181_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-90460200-1433257217_thumb.jpg

One more off the list towards the proposed layout, still some weathering and bits to put on it :)

• Like 5

And this one to finish so I can steam away into my fantasy world !!! :)

post-20303-0-83469800-1433258834_thumb.jpg

(Please excuse the picture quality-iPhone jobby !)

• Like 4

The boat/ship is like one of those Lake Lucerne paddle steamers...very nice indeed.

cheers,

Iain

Hi Iain, you're quite right, although it's a hybrid of sorts I suppose. With the help of some RMweb parish members I managed to get some details and web addresses etc to enable me to produce this vessel. She's not completed yet ( still in sections) but will eventually feature on my proposed layout at a landing stage area ( all of which is partly on plan and the remainder is floating around in my head !). Part of the bigger picture as they say. It was constructed using mainly 1mm ply and some brass, and at some future stage I may well start a blog for the layout ?

Thanks for your comments, and all those who have 'ticked the box' too ! Apologies to Mr.Downes for taking up his valuable space here :)

Happy modelling everyone :)

• Like 2

Hi Iain, you're quite right, although it's a hybrid of sorts I suppose. With the help of some RMweb parish members I managed to get some details and web addresses etc to enable me to produce this vessel. She's not completed yet ( still in sections) but will eventually feature on my proposed layout at a landing stage area ( all of which is partly on plan and the remainder is floating around in my head !). Part of the bigger picture as they say. It was constructed using mainly 1mm ply and some brass, and at some future stage I may well start a blog for the layout ?

Thanks for your comments, and all those who have 'ticked the box' too ! Apologies to Mr.Downes for taking up his valuable space here :)

Happy modelling everyone :)

Oh, Blimey! Respect is due then, I thought it was a kit bash!  Very, very fine work indeed. Yes, you should start a blog for the layout, I am sure I'm not the only one to be intrigued.

cheers,

Iain

Oh, Blimey! Respect is due then, I thought it was a kit bash!  Very, very fine work indeed. Yes, you should start a blog for the layout, I am sure I'm not the only one to be intrigued.

cheers,

Iain

Thanks Iain ,

No kit bash there matey, I can't find a 1:87 model of a German paddle steamer anywhere so, sleeves rolled up and off ya go !

Cheers

Grahame

• Like 2

Oh, Blimey! Respect is due then, I thought it was a kit bash! Very, very fine work indeed. Yes, you should start a blog for the layout, I am sure I'm not the only one to be intrigued.

cheers,

Iain

Laid bare for all to see! No kit bash matey, lots of glued fingers and a few choice words but here she is in her constituent parts ready to assemble and finish off ( sometime !)

post-20303-0-51262600-1433325216_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-81693700-1433325232_thumb.jpg

I was going to keep it hived away until I did a blog ? but hey !

Cheers

Grahame

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2

Laid bare for all to see! No kit bash matey, lots of glued fingers and a few choice words but here she is in her constituent parts ready to assemble and finish off ( sometime !)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I was going to keep it hived away until I did a blog ? but hey !

Cheers

Grahame

OK, that's proper modelmaking. Lovely to see this...very fine work indeed!

cheers,

Iain

OK, that's proper modelmaking. Lovely to see this...very fine work indeed!

cheers,

Iain

Thanks again Iain.

Last ones for now, the paddles were probably the 'worst' part having thrown away one attempt I settled on this as being satisfactory, don't know what you think but they're on the hull and they are definitely staying now !

post-20303-0-82738800-1433326688_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-30937700-1433326735_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Grahame

• Like 1

Oh! By the way, has anyone seen Allan ?

I've heard he's doing a bit of research on those arches, but maybe taken it a bit too far in his aim to get some authenticity !

post-20303-0-95285300-1433327386.jpg

I thought he'd gone to Scotland to talk to some oil men...

You're probably thinking of Turkish wrestlers Stubby ...........

post-20303-0-08858500-1433347575.jpg

• Like 1

Whatever floats your boat, I say :senile: ...

Anyway, here are some pics of something I have been working on in order to quell the proliferation of oil men on this thread...There is still a lot to do on it before it will be finished, so this is "in progress"

The goods shed is based on Kingsbridge, but actually with every day that goes by, it becomes less "based on Kingsbridge". I somehow put the office chimney on the wrong side, not sure how I did that, but my long-suffering customer just wanted it left, he preferred it like that...phew!

I have had fun with the interior, the customary joists etc from Evergreen section 252 square tube, built on a jig. The walls are scribed foamex, inside and out. Crane is a bit freelance but hopefully catches the spirit of a typical one. Packing cases are cut out on the Cameo cutter and then assembled. I have sent for some accessories from the US, recommended by the excellent Mikkel, made by www.rustystumps.com...they do some amazing castings and as well as cases I have ordered some workshop clutter for my loco works...will show on here when they arrive.

Tomorrow I will be packing up a different model to send to a customer, it's a big one and will take all day to build the packing case for it. I sometimes use a dedicated company from Aberdeen who do nothing but move models and film sets but wow are they pricey...OK for oil jobs when cost is no object, but tomorrow it will be a local carrier, based on the fact that I know where he lives and will go round there if anything goes wrong :triniti:

Anyway, some pics!

post-18033-0-16291100-1433349450.jpg

above: the interior with joists and crane.

post-18033-0-75175000-1433349479.jpg

post-18033-0-45571600-1433349492.jpg

post-18033-0-06171600-1433349513.jpg

post-18033-0-56420100-1433349532.jpg

above: just a shot to show the effectiveness of the scribed stonework. Das? No thanks...

post-18033-0-42673100-1433349644.jpg

More pics when it is finished!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

Sorry about the oil magnet !

More sobering topic Iain, excellent stuff. May I ask how you get on with your Cameo? I've been pondering for a while and whilst it may not totally earn its keep I've got a few ideas knocking around which could ? warrant buying one. I've followed the thread on using these machines and also looked at various models which do a similar job but it sort of hinges on the software too. Hmmm

Sorry about the oil magnet !

More sobering topic Iain, excellent stuff. May I ask how you get on with your Cameo? I've been pondering for a while and whilst it may not totally earn its keep I've got a few ideas knocking around which could ? warrant buying one. I've followed the thread on using these machines and also looked at various models which do a similar job but it sort of hinges on the software too. Hmmm

For me, the Cameo is a no-brainer, because I use it in some way for almost every job I do. But the software is awful, deeply unintuitive and downright impossible to accomplish anything more than a straightforward set of squares. I use Illustrator and port it to the Cameo with an add-on bit of software, but it doesn't get it right every time...better than the "Studio" software though. You can use Inkscape with it too, although I find that a bitch to use as well.

The cameo does have it's limitations and sometimes mysterious things happen that have to be sorted within the machine's settings, but I still love it to bits. All the windows were done with it on the goods shed, from Canford card, spray mounted onto the glazing substrate. I tend to use a 65 degree blade for it's accuracy and buy them from Ebay at a fraction of the cameo ratchet blades which are very variable in quality as well as being much more expensive than the Chinese ones.

If you are methodical and can learn empirically, then the Cameo will be a very rewarding tool. I am neither but I still wouldn't be without it.

Hope that gives you some food for thought!

cheers,

Iain

For me, the Cameo is a no-brainer, because I use it in some way for almost every job I do. But the software is awful, deeply unintuitive and downright impossible to accomplish anything more than a straightforward set of squares. I use Illustrator and port it to the Cameo with an add-on bit of software, but it doesn't get it right every time...better than the "Studio" software though. You can use Inkscape with it too, although I find that a bitch to use as well.

The cameo does have it's limitations and sometimes mysterious things happen that have to be sorted within the machine's settings, but I still love it to bits. All the windows were done with it on the goods shed, from Canford card, spray mounted onto the glazing substrate. I tend to use a 65 degree blade for it's accuracy and buy them from Ebay at a fraction of the cameo ratchet blades which are very variable in quality as well as being much more expensive than the Chinese ones.

If you are methodical and can learn empirically, then the Cameo will be a very rewarding tool. I am neither but I still wouldn't be without it.

Hope that gives you some food for thought!

cheers,

Iain

Thanks Iain, whilst I'm pretty computer literate and to some extent "happy" to play around with software to get what I ultimately need I'm still left in two minds. I can understand you when you say love it to bits especially when all goes according to plan and certainly the windows look to be first rate. Despite being "old skool" I embrace new tech and have used a laser cutter successfully which was a " before your very eyes" moment for me !

Being methodical is the key to using these or any other tech and I'm in total agreement with you there, so, I appreciate your reply and maybe, just maybe ?

Cheers

Grahame

p.s. Allan! Allan! Are you there ? We're taking over here LOL

• Like 1

Whatever floats your boat, I say :senile: ...

Anyway, here are some pics of something I have been working on in order to quell the proliferation of oil men on this thread...There is still a lot to do on it before it will be finished, so this is "in progress"

The goods shed is based on Kingsbridge, but actually with every day that goes by, it becomes less "based on Kingsbridge". I somehow put the office chimney on the wrong side, not sure how I did that, but my long-suffering customer just wanted it left, he preferred it like that...phew!

I have had fun with the interior, the customary joists etc from Evergreen section 252 square tube, built on a jig. The walls are scribed foamex, inside and out. Crane is a bit freelance but hopefully catches the spirit of a typical one. Packing cases are cut out on the Cameo cutter and then assembled. I have sent for some accessories from the US, recommended by the excellent Mikkel, made by www.rustystumps.com...they do some amazing castings and as well as cases I have ordered some workshop clutter for my loco works...will show on here when they arrive.

Tomorrow I will be packing up a different model to send to a customer, it's a big one and will take all day to build the packing case for it. I sometimes use a dedicated company from Aberdeen who do nothing but move models and film sets but wow are they pricey...OK for oil jobs when cost is no object, but tomorrow it will be a local carrier, based on the fact that I know where he lives and will go round there if anything goes wrong :triniti:

Anyway, some pics!

attachicon.gif1-SAM_2704.JPG

above: the interior with joists and crane.

attachicon.gif2-SAM_2705.JPG

attachicon.gif3-SAM_2711.JPG

attachicon.gif5-SAM_2718.JPG

attachicon.gif7-SAM_2724.JPG

above: just a shot to show the effectiveness of the scribed stonework. Das? No thanks...

attachicon.gif6-SAM_2722.JPG

More pics when it is finished!

cheers,

Iain

Hi Iain

That is an incredible bit of modelling. The stonework is exquisit.

Can I ask what thickness of foamex do you use and how do you glue it together? I gather you can not use normal solvents like MEK or Plasticweld. It's a material I would consider using to get some of the finishes I woudl like if I knew how to use it.

All the best

Andy

Hi Iain

That is an incredible bit of modelling. The stonework is exquisit.

Can I ask what thickness of foamex do you use and how do you glue it together? I gather you can not use normal solvents like MEK or Plasticweld. It's a material I would consider using to get some of the finishes I woudl like if I knew how to use it.

All the best

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks!

I generally use 3mm Foamex...I also use 5mm, but for general purpose work the 3mm is very useful. I use "Palight", but there are all sorts of different types out there and you can buy it from a couple of good suppliers on Ebay.  I find the thinner Foamex is fine so long as you don't scribe it, because it will warp quite badly at that thickness. The shed is built mostly with 3mm Foamex, laminated with another sheet for the inside walls- it also gives the illusion of depth and is easier to cut than one big sheet of 5mm!

I use Super Glue to stick it to itself and to Styrene, card, etc...some people use Evo-Stik impact but I have found joints to fail very badly with that glue. With Superglue it is permanent and you can use the slightly less instantaneous type so that you can position the components, rather than ruining something you've spent a day scribing!  Yes, you are right, normal solvents like Mek don't touch it.

Do have a go, it is very nice and clean to work with and scribes beautifully. I might suggest a tutorial by Master Modelmaker David Neat, who is a great exponent of Foamboard.  https://davidneat.wordpress.com/materials/constructing/palight-foamed-pvc/

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Iain

Sadly this one lost its sails a long time ago but they're still around !

attachicon.gifimage.jpg (of Torcross Brunel atmospheric pumphouse)

Forgive me if I may have taken this post too literally - but (after reflecting a bit about it) are you inferring that this atmopspheric railway pump used to also be wind powered?

Brilliant concept if true - Air in and air out. On a windy day on the south Devon coast who needed a coal fired boiler? :locomotive:

dhig

Hi Andy, thanks!

I generally use 3mm Foamex...I also use 5mm, but for general purpose work the 3mm is very useful. I use "Palight", but there are all sorts of different types out there and you can buy it from a couple of good suppliers on Ebay.  I find the thinner Foamex is fine so long as you don't scribe it, because it will warp quite badly at that thickness. The shed is built mostly with 3mm Foamex, laminated with another sheet for the inside walls- it also gives the illusion of depth and is easier to cut than one big sheet of 5mm!

I use Super Glue to stick it to itself and to Styrene, card, etc...some people use Evo-Stik impact but I have found joints to fail very badly with that glue. With Superglue it is permanent and you can use the slightly less instantaneous type so that you can position the components, rather than ruining something you've spent a day scribing!  Yes, you are right, normal solvents like Mek don't touch it.

Do have a go, it is very nice and clean to work with and scribes beautifully. I might suggest a tutorial by Master Modelmaker David Neat, who is a great exponent of Foamboard.  https://davidneat.wordpress.com/materials/constructing/palight-foamed-pvc/

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Iain

Thanks for the information and the link. I've just lost myself for the last half hour on the David Neat site. Definitely worth a read and certainly something new that I'll try.

• Like 2

Many thanks for the information and link to David's site. I will definitely look that up, as I will the suppliers on Ebay.

If you could persuade David to give us Palight 'virgins' a tutorial I'm sure there would be hundreds of grateful students on here.

I am amazed at the rate you and Allan turn out these beautiful models. Below is one of mine which, so far, has taken around 4 months of on and off work to get it to state I am happy with. All made from plasticard and card slates and coloured with watercolour pencils.

This will be a chandlers warehouse and workshop.

post-8259-0-22716700-1431094968_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-74816400-1431094969_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-18357900-1431094969_thumb.jpg

post-8259-0-73442000-1431094968_thumb.jpg

The one below is a harbour master/customs house building I am currently working on

post-8259-0-26387300-1433015984_thumb.jpg

Many thanks

Andy

• Like 6