"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

This Shed was built from 1mm foamex, the planking scribed automatically by a Roland signwriter plotter (a cameo would do the same thing)

Internally braced with 2mm foamex for strength, and roofed with 3mm

post-15693-0-29440400-1433427664.jpg

post-15693-0-09939200-1433427665.jpg

post-15693-0-26586900-1433427666.jpg

• Like 3

Many thanks for the information and link to David's site. I will definitely look that up, as I will the suppliers on Ebay.

If you could persuade David to give us Palight 'virgins' a tutorial I'm sure there would be hundreds of grateful students on here.

I am amazed at the rate you and Allan turn out these beautiful models. Below is one of mine which, so far, has taken around 4 months of on and off work to get it to state I am happy with. All made from plasticard and card slates and coloured with watercolour pencils.

This will be a chandlers warehouse and workshop.
The one below is a harbour master/customs house building I am currently working on

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

I like that! Very impressive work. I really like the slates, the detail and the light touch you have with the weathering. It all looks very realistic and will be an impressive feature on the layout. The stonework has come off very well, too...and the build is a nice sharp one with no dodgy angles. The Harbourmaster's looks very promising and I would like to see more of that when it progresses.

cheers,

Iain

edited for spelling...as usual!

Edited by Iain C Robinson

more scribed Foamex...

sorry about the thread-jack ;)

attachicon.giftunnel1.jpg

attachicon.gifrear.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-15693-0-29097300-1377089357_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif77.jpg

attachicon.giffixed.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC09128.JPG

Hello old pal, I was just thinking that you were the one to talk about Foamex - as it was you that persuaded me to try it in the first place. Nice to see these models again, lovely stuff. What are you up to now...eh?

cheers,

Iain

edited...for spelling again!

Hello old pal, I was just thinking that you were the one to talk about Foamex - as it was you that persuaded me to try it in the first place. Nice to see these models again, lovely stuff. What are you up to now...eh?

cheers,

Iain

edited...for spelling again!

At the moment I am making 3 Wordpress websites into responsive versions, designing an 8 page brochure, fixing the dripping waste trap on the bathroom sink and, oh yes, building 3metres of retaining wall in engineering blue brick for a loyal customer.. Luckily, he's very patient, as I've had to put it on the back-burner recently. My last few models have been detailed with embossed plasticard as there's no way I can scribe brick without losing my sanity! (still using foamex as a substrate though)

This is where it's at so far:

post-15693-0-48574800-1433430626_thumb.jpg

so where are your blog updates then eh? Been nothing since a stroll down main street! ;)

Edited by freebs
  • Like 4

Lee wrote "so where are your blog updates then eh? Been nothing since a stroll down main street! ;)"

I have quite a backlog of stuff to post, and I must get down to doing the updates- the same with "Treasure maps".  Thanks for the nudge. :scratchhead:

That retaining wall looks rather nifty, and I agree that scribing bricks is a sure way to lose your mind- although I have the advantage in that I don't have any sanity to lose. :locomotive:   Like you, I tend to use the Foamex for everything, I even packed up a customer's model in it this week and it arrived without a scratch. The foamex is so light and strong, I am very grateful to you for putting me in the right direction with it.

Glad to see you are still busy with commercial work as well as the web work.

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

It takes some time to measure the real one.

Allan is very quiet, he must be building the Forth Bridge in 4mm for someone? :scratchhead: :locomotive:

Pete

It must be taking him a while to measure the real one. He set of with a ball of string and a six inch rule, a bag of butterscotch and a bottle of IrnBru.

I was talking earlier about finding suitable items for inside the goods shed- Hornby used to do some great crates and baskets, but for some reason have discontinued these. Mikkel, who has a thread on here and a great blog (http://www.farthinglayouts.org/ ) had a couple of masterclasses on making crates and stuff for Edwardian goods depots...but I wanted something quick and dirty, that wouldn't take me long as I can't charge that stuff to my customer. Mikkel had suggested "RustyStumps" castings, who do a neat set of accessories in resin including all kinds of crates. I sent away six days ago and they came today...I painted them in quiet moments between doing my tax return (!).

They are not expensive and the guy's service is amazing...I have no connection obviously, but here are a couple of shots of the one that I bought. It looks fine next to a Knightwing crate, the scratch built ones and a couple of Hornby baskets.

post-18033-0-03274200-1433443951.jpg

Unpainted

post-18033-0-62597400-1433443961.jpg

painted

post-18033-0-41110100-1433443971.jpg

In place!

Sorry to bore you with this, like anything to do with railway modelling, once you start studying something it opens up a whole new world of detail :blind:

cheers,

Iain

• Like 11

It takes some time to measure the real one.

It must be taking him a while to measure the real one. He set of with a ball of string and a six inch rule, a bag of butterscotch and a bottle of IrnBru.

Sourcing enough Colron will be a challenge too!!

Allan is very quiet, he must be building the Forth Bridge in 4mm for someone? :scratchhead: :locomotive:

Pete

No Pete, I'm drawing up the Forth Bridge to build after The Bridge of Muir!

It will be approx. 40ft long and nearly 4ft high. Wendy is threatening to divorce me if I go ahead with it.

Peter

• Like 1

No Pete, I'm drawing up the Forth Bridge to build after The Bridge of Muir!

It will be approx. 40ft long and nearly 4ft high. Wendy is threatening to divorce me if I go ahead with it.

Peter

Saw your Connel Ferry Bridge in this month's Hornby mag a few weeks ago - what a coincidence you should pop up in here :) I think you've done a magnificent job with it, and like Iain I have an affinity with the area - Absolutely love the Argyl coast and always look forward to crossing over the bridge there when I'm in that part of Scotland.

Saw your Connel Ferry Bridge in this month's Hornby mag a few weeks ago - what a coincidence you should pop up in here :) I think you've done a magnificent job with it, and like Iain I have an affinity with the area - Absolutely love the Argyl coast and always look forward to crossing over the bridge there when I'm in that part of Scotland.

Hi Freebs

Thank you for your comments. If you are ever down here in North Wales you are very welcome. as are Iain and Alan, to call in at The Railway Study Centre here in Llanllyfni and see the completed layout as well as the other models being made and layouts. Below is part of the library which I use for the research.

post-6915-0-75290700-1433502294.jpg

Peter

• Like 5

Like you, I have spent many a happy time on the west coast of Scotland and remember how the railway and road used the same bridge. The drive around the coast from Balachullish to Oban is stunning. The article in Hornby magazine showed wonderfully the grand scale of Connel Bridge. It's a wonderful piece of modelling.

Now the Forth rail bridge. That would be a model.

Hi Freebs

Thank you for your comments. If you are ever down here in North Wales you are very welcome. as are Iain and Alan, to call in at The Railway Study Centre here in Llanllyfni and see the completed layout as well as the other models being made and layouts. Below is part of the library which I use for the research.

attachicon.gifscan0001.jpgrmw.jpg

Peter

Hi Peter, I have often wondered about the place as I drive past it often while mooching in the Nantlle Quarries or researching and photographing abandoned houses on the South side of Dyffryn Nantlle. Looks very impressive!

cheers,

Iain

Hi Iain

Many thanks for your previous comments.

Hi Andy,

I like that! Very impressive work. I really like the slates, the detail and the light touch you have with the weathering. It all looks very realistic and will be an impressive feature on the layout. The stonework has come off very well, too...and the build is a nice sharp one with no dodgy angles. The Harbourmaster's looks very promising and I would like to see more of that when it progresses.

cheers,

Iain

edited for spelling...as usual!

Hi Iain

Very kind words indeed and truly encouraging from a master modeller and much appreciated. I will post a few more pictures of the harbour master building when I have completed a bit more of it and put some colour on. I do have one question and hope you might be able to help me.

I built a model based on Kingsbridge Station in 4mm and now need to find some valancing for the canopy. The valancing is peculiar to the Kingsbridge and Abbottbury branches as all the buildings were designed by William Clarke. I notice on your website that the Kingsford Station model had exactly the type of valancing needed before it was converted to an overall roof. Was this valancing made for you or by you, or was it purchased from some supplier  am not aware of. I have exhausted my searches apart from having it etched or lasercut.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

post-8259-0-02367900-1383951969.jpg

post-8259-0-10679000-1335515159.jpg

post-8259-0-39158700-1335515161.jpg
  • Like 3

Hi Andy,

I like your Kingsbridge structure, it captures the prototype nicely, and the stonework is excellent.

I wish I had known about your project earlier, as I did an etch of Kingsbridge about a year ago and sent it to PPD for etching. I still have the artwork with the canopy valancing but it has a lot of other stuff on it (including 7mm William Clarke ironwork) that you wouldn't want. I can, however, find the artwork for you and you could alter it to just give you the valancing and then send it to PPD perhaps. Unfortunately I have just used the last of the brass etch on the goods shed canopy, or you could have had that...sorry!

Cheers,

Iain

Hi guys, just back from Scotland - gale force winds and torrential rain for a week - lovely !

Anyway, you've all certainly kept the thread alive with post after post of absolutely stunning model making - even my ol' mate Iain's up there with the best !!!!!

However, I did read of the glories of the Cameo cutting machine thing and all the brain boiling software needed just to cut a straight line with it and I'd like to challenge it for speed and accuracy with a toe to toe start on a complex tudor building and I bet I'd win !!!

As long as I could use brass etched windows of course...

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 6

Hi Peter, I have often wondered about the place as I drive past it often while mooching in the Nantlle Quarries or researching and photographing abandoned houses on the South side of Dyffryn Nantlle. Looks very impressive!

cheers,

Iain

Hi Iain

The layouts are down at the shop unit in the Barracks at Nantlle whereas the Study Centre with the library and workshops are just outside Llanllyfni. Unfortunately we have a major problem with the library at present as it is in a bit of a tip due to the floor collapsing under all the weight of the books and drawings etc.

If you ever want to call please give me a ring as not always at the Unit as semi-retired now and do most of the work in the workshops at home. Will pm you with my phone number and address.(Have you seen the model I am making of Dorotheas beam engine in my 'layout without a name' thread?)

Regards

Peter