"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Hi Iain

The layouts are down at the shop unit in the Barracks at Nantlle whereas the Study Centre with the library and workshops are just outside Llanllyfni. Unfortunately we have a major problem with the library at present as it is in a bit of a tip due to the floor collapsing under all the weight of the books and drawings etc.

If you ever want to call please give me a ring as not always at the Unit as semi-retired now and do most of the work in the workshops at home. Will pm you with my phone number and address.(Have you seen the model I am making of Dorotheas beam engine in my 'layout without a name' thread?)

Regards

Peter

Thanks, Peter- as you probably know, I have a bit of a "thing" for Dorothea and I have often thought it would make a good narrow gauge model railway, the section from Gallt-y-Fedw and Pen-y-Bryn perhaps through past Plas Talysarn to the LNWR/ Nantlle rly sidings. OK if you like little Hunslets :imsohappy:  Motorising Prince and Corwen might pose difficulties... Your model of the Engine House is fab!

cheers,

Iain

Hi guys, just back from Scotland - gale force winds and torrential rain for a week - lovely !

Anyway, you've all certainly kept the thread alive with post after post of absolutely stunning model making - even my ol' mate Iain's up there with the best !!!!!

However, I did read of the glories of the Cameo cutting machine thing and all the brain boiling software needed just to cut a straight line with it and I'd like to challenge it for speed and accuracy with a toe to toe start on a complex tudor building and I bet I'd win !!!

As long as I could use brass etched windows of course...

Cheers.

Allan.

Welcome home Boss! Sorry to hear about the weather. Don't forget to push newspaper into your wellies and hang them upside down to stop them going moldy inside. Now! Slippers on, coffee on the perc and get on with the modelling..............Iain's been speeding up of late!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hope you enjoyed your break Allan.
We're just back from a short break ourselves as it happens, from California where the temperature's are touchin' a hundred! Phew. (It's no cooler at home either).

Anyhow I thought you might like a couple of snaps of some real handsome Hotels in Mc.Cloud.

The Stoney Brook Inn.

post-8964-0-66924600-1433800325_thumb.jpg 

The Mc.Cloud Hotel. Rebuilt in 1912 after a fire.

post-8964-0-21999900-1433800343_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-07643200-1433800360_thumb.jpg

McCloud River Mercantile, this was our hotel and very posh it was too!

post-8964-0-29084200-1433800378_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-53467800-1433800398_thumb.jpg

McCloud River Inn B&B.

post-8964-0-98247600-1433800414_thumb.jpg

Regards Shaun.

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

I like your Kingsbridge structure, it captures the prototype nicely, and the stonework is excellent.

I wish I had known about your project earlier, as I did an etch of Kingsbridge about a year ago and sent it to PPD for etching. I still have the artwork with the canopy valancing but it has a lot of other stuff on it (including 7mm William Clarke ironwork) that you wouldn't want. I can, however, find the artwork for you and you could alter it to just give you the valancing and then send it to PPD perhaps. Unfortunately I have just used the last of the brass etch on the goods shed canopy, or you could have had that...sorry!

Cheers,

Iain

Once again, many thanks for those encouraging words. That is a very kind offer of yours to allow me to adapt your artwork for the pieces I need and I would really like to take you up on that. IT's something I really should have thought about when I had the windows and doors done by PPD but thought stock valancing would be easy to find. NOT!!!.

If you don't mind I will PM my email address to you a bit later.

All the best

Andy

• Like 1

Hope you enjoyed your break Allan.

We're just back from a short break ourselves as it happens, from California where the temperature's are touchin' a hundred! Phew. (It's no cooler at home either).

Anyhow I thought you might like a couple of snaps of some real handsome Hotels in Mc.Cloud.

The Stoney Brook Inn.

attachicon.gifMcCloud (1).JPG 

The Mc.Cloud Hotel. Rebuilt in 1912 after a fire.

attachicon.gifMcCloud (2).JPG

attachicon.gifMcCloud (3).JPG

McCloud River Mercantile, this was our hotel and very posh it was too!

attachicon.gifMcCloud (4).JPG

attachicon.gifMcCloud (5).JPG

McCloud River Inn B&B.

attachicon.gifMcCloud (6).JPG

Regards Shaun.

Thanks Shaun, I'll most definitely be taking a very close look at these after I've cleared the latest commission.

Cheers.

Allan

• Like 1

Hi guys, just back from Scotland - gale force winds and torrential rain for a week - lovely !

Anyway, you've all certainly kept the thread alive with post after post of absolutely stunning model making - even my ol' mate Iain's up there with the best !!!!!

However, I did read of the glories of the Cameo cutting machine thing and all the brain boiling software needed just to cut a straight line with it and I'd like to challenge it for speed and accuracy with a toe to toe start on a complex tudor building and I bet I'd win !!!

As long as I could use brass etched windows of course...

Cheers.

Allan.

Can I wave the chequered flag please ! And will we need models of straw bales to put on the corners, just in case anyone swerves too far with their implement ?

Hope you enjoyed your break Allan

Started a new build today, a small country cottage group.

Here's  bay window construction. These are just simple square bays so the geometry's quite straight foreward. These two took about 2 hours to build and now I'm off to Cleethorpes for a bag of chips ! 

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-12466600-1434033063_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-38081500-1434033076_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-83980300-1434033087_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-77308600-1434033119_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-26566800-1434033146_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

If its not too late, it would be nice to see the reverse sides of the bay, just because I'm curious as to the purpose / reason for the corner notches of the window components. I assume for locating, but what do they locate against?

Sorry if you have explained the process before! 

Each window has two locating tabs running iether side of the main frame. The windows can then be glued behind the window apertures. The 'notch' serves no specific purpose it's just that the locating tabs, and for whatever reason, don't run the full length of the windows.

Cheers.

Allan

That's cottage sized, is it ?   How many bathrooms ??

That would be an MP's, or Banker's Cottage...  Certainly not a Cornish Cottage or Scottish But'n'Ben.

Edited by Penlan

That's cottage sized, is it ?   How many bathrooms ??

I used to live in a row of eight cottages in Lane end, High Wycombe. They were called Panliegh Cottages. This is only a block of two.

No bathrooms, just outside taps.

Cheers.

Allan

I used to live in a row of eight cottages in Lane end, High Wycombe. They were called Panliegh Cottages. This is only a block of two.

Cheers.

Allan

Absolutely having bathrooms, heaven forbid, toilets, inside the house is just so unhygienic.....

Cheers.

Allan

Completely off topic, but some of my ancestors used to live in High Wycombe and were chair manufacturers - I often watch the 'Antiques Roadshow' and see the chairs on there and wonder how many of them were made by my ancestors

Thought I'd show a few pics with the roofs fitted before I lock my self away in a dark cupboard for a few days with a torch, a photo of Robinson and a heap of tiles.

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-83997700-1434381445_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-17576400-1434381458_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-72204500-1434381471_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-99828700-1434381483_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-66649400-1434381501_thumb.jpg

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 7

Thought I'd show a few pics with the roofs fitted before I lock my self away in a dark cupboard for a few days with a torch, a photo of Robinson and tile them.

Cheers.

Allan

attachicon.gifCOTTAGE ROOFS FITTED 002.JPGattachicon.gifCOTTAGE ROOFS FITTED 003.JPGattachicon.gifCOTTAGE ROOFS FITTED 005.JPGattachicon.gifCOTTAGE ROOFS FITTED 007.JPGattachicon.gifCOTTAGE ROOFS FITTED 009.JPG

Now time for a stable block, jacuzzi and three bedroomed dog kennel!

Honestly, Allan, they do look good... 

Stubby, 3 bedroom dogs kennel?

You haven't been thinking of buying those laser cut wooden kennels from the USA have you.. I have a couple.

Completely off topic, but some of my ancestors used to live in High Wycombe and were chair manufacturers - I often watch the 'Antiques Roadshow' and see the chairs on there and wonder how many of them were made by my ancestors

Way back in the 70's a member of the Gomm Furniture making family, one of the brothers I believe, came to my house to discuss building him a model railway.

What came of the idea and him both I can't remember but I do recall him being a rather unasuming man, quiet, unpretentious and polite.

Cheers.

Allan

Edited by allan downes