"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Thanks, Freebs. Always nice to see you on the thread.

So, here's some shots of  timber built waiting rooms in 4mm just for you. Hope you like them.

Anyway, it would be great to see what you have been up to lately - any pics ?

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-93116800-1515510688_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-11167500-1515510723_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-11167500-1515510723_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-24449200-1515510757_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-47658400-1515510819_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Health report update.

... a really delightful nurse with all the right bits in all the right places  ...

Allan

While I was very sorry to learn of your experience, which does sound dreadful, something suggests to me that there is life in the old dog yet ...  

Glad you are back posting.  An excellent trio of structures for our viewing pleasure.

Thanks E.

I mentioned that particular nurse because when she had finished the scan she said " If you have any problems just phone the department and ask for me, the Lung Nurse."

Well, somehow that title didn't quite relate to the image presented. 5ft 2" maybe, but a well arranged 5ft 2" at that and perfectly proportioned !

By gad Sir. At my age any more scans like that and I'll need therapy!

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Stick to PVA Allan. If used sparingly it dries rather quickly and can be dissolved if needed (but you know that). The only disadvantage would be missing out on doughnut tube lung nurse operators. Glad you are home and posting again.

For what it's worth that's some very tidy ballasting work BTW.

Regards Shaun

• Like 1

Brilliant stuff Allan - hope you're feeling better after the superglue incident

Shame you threw it all away, because used sparingly it's very useful for gluing your fingers to tiny bits of plastic

I haven't made anything since I finished this house:

post-15693-0-89192800-1515752005_thumb.jpg

Trying to get some commission work again though - it's been a while

Lee

• Like 7

Here be a Victorian Factory. Possibly posted before, possibly not !

An exercise in commercial brickpaper, Scalelink windows and Plastikard.

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gifMY PICTURES 2416.jpgattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 2417.jpgattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 2418.jpgattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 2419.jpgattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 2421.jpgattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 2422.jpgattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 2429.jpg

Don't so much see the more decorative Victorian/Edwardian factory architecture on model railways.  That is a stunning structure.

Shame you threw it all away, because used sparingly it's very useful for gluing your fingers to tiny bits of plastic

attachicon.gif26805021_10156156340727049_1798301059903713719_n.jpg

Lee

Perfect in every detail.

West Riding?

attachicon.gif26805021_10156156340727049_1798301059903713719_n.jpg

Lee

And very nice too, Lee. Thanks for sharing and thanks for your concern.

Cheers.

Allan.

Engine shed for the new mini layout.

Again, as with past mini layouts. it's based on the Tetbury engine shed and just long enough to house a pannier tank.

Built out of stone as opposed the the brick built original,  Wills stone sheets - SMP200 - were used throughout along with Scalelink brass etched windows.

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-83701000-1516119728.jpgpost-18579-0-84740600-1516119743.jpgpost-18579-0-46157100-1516119804.jpgpost-18579-0-93587900-1516119828_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-78830100-1516119848_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Another Caledonian - progress so far ...
I thought it was time I got going with another little project I really fancied - another Caledonian signal box!

I've fallen in love with these structures and wanted one for a micro layout to use as a setting when photographing stock and locos.

Here are some photos of progress-to-date.
The model is based on the one at Camperdown Junction, Dundee - this was a box that was extended at some point to accommodate a huge lever frame - with 95 levers! Mine might accommodate 70 as I've got a couple of brass-etch lever frames from the lovely Severn Models.

I've taken dimensions from the original as inspiration and tried to be faithful to a style of box that can bee seen at other places like Stirling.

Drawings were based on brick counting and I've tried to show how I made the little brackets that support the projection of the operating floor.

post-26609-0-30312400-1516295232_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-03064800-1516295246_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-34224600-1516295254_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-34661900-1516295265_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-76007500-1516295270_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Who made it on the front cover of Model Rail then ?

Neh, neh, ne, neh, neh !

Anyway, all I have to do now is send them a cheque....

Cheers.

Allan.

Hahaha .. how much did it cost you? PS I loved the article - especially the suggestion that you are a "Maverick" model maker! It was a great issue; Chris Nevard's photography and contribution was equally brilliant - you've got some strong competition on the small layout front!! The two pages devoted to the Dutch masterpiece "Ijsselstein" that was on show at Warley was also deserved. There was always a small crowd admiring it whenever I went past.

PS I'm stealing all your 'secrets' - I had no idea that you did roof tiles individually. I have much to learn!

Hahaha .. how much did it cost you? PS I loved the article - especially the suggestion that you are a "Maverick" model maker! It was a great issue; Chris Nevard's photography and contribution was equally brilliant - you've got some strong competition on the small layout front!! The two pages devoted to the Dutch masterpiece "Ijsselstein" that was on show at Warley was also deserved. There was always a small crowd admiring it whenever I went past.

PS I'm stealing all your 'secrets' - I had no idea that you did roof tiles individually. I have much to learn!

Yes, I have to agree that 'Ljsselstein'  was really something else. The work of a genius.

As for Chris Nevard being the master of all things micro, I also agree whole heartedly. Plays a pretty mean guitar too !

Also would really love to see your signal box when it's finished. Yet another potential work of art.

Cheers.

Allan.

Edited by allan downes

Yes, I have to agree that 'Ljsselstein'  was really something else. The work of a genius.

As for Chris Nevard being the master of all things micro, I also agree whole heartedly. Plays a pretty mean guitar too !

Also would really love to see your signal box when it's finished. Yet another potential work of art.

Cheers.

Allan.

I follow Chris Nevard's Flickr account and have seen lots of pictures from gigs - so I assumed he was also a handy musician! 

PS thanks to the appalling weather the signal box has been coming along nicely, although too late in the making for the roof to be adorned with individual tiles. I've used the Wills moulding but I'm going to experiment with tiles on another building as I really want to get my roofs to have a bit more pizzazz!

I'll get some photos up of progress-to-date when I get a chance.

• Like 1

Since I'm already clogging up the thread with my signal box posts .. here's an update on progress:

The spell of horrible weather on the weekend gave me the excuse I needed to put a roof on my large Caledonian signal box. I haven't converted to the hand-made tiling favoured by the likes of our 'Maverick' maestro Allan - but I'm going to have a go on the next project! 

I've included a photo that shows my home-spun method of making finials. Sand a point onto the end of a piece of plastic rod. Make some sleeves by drilling out the centre from a thicker piece of rod and hey presto!

Thanks to the long tail that I leave on the rod, they make a reasonably sturdy fit once they've been popped into the hole in the roof. I still manage to clumsily break them from time-to-time. But I can easily make another ...

post-26609-0-76673100-1516792648_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-83159700-1516792658_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-73909900-1516792674_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Sterling work there lads,

This might be a dumb question but the Sloping end roofs on your signal box which is a tidy build too. How do you work out the size requirement of those pieces or is it guesswork? Is there a formula or some science behind it?

Regards

George

Sterling work there lads,

This might be a dumb question but the Sloping end roofs on your signal box which is a tidy build too. How do you work out the size requirement of those pieces or is it guesswork? Is there a formula or some science behind it?

Regards

George

Hi George ...

"There is no such thing as a dumb question - just a dumb answer!" 

Since I was never any good at trigonometry I use a pretty basic means of calculating the hip (the sloped bit of the roof).  This is not necessarily the best way but it works ok for me 

This involves cutting the base of the roof, and then making the triangular braces (cross pieces) and measuring the hip once they are in place. I've included a little diagram of what I mean.

I have been known to make a card mockup first - just to make sure the roof 'looks right' before cutting any expensive materials!

Online calculator - As usual these days there is also a handy calculator online - all you need to do is put the 4 key lengths in and it works out the rest

https://planetcalc.com/1147/

If you were scared of maths at, for heavens sake don't look at the alarming bit of maths alongside the phrase 'Pythagorus Theorem - this is just to show the theory behind the calculator!

post-26609-0-81400600-1516797953_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel