"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

• RMweb Premium

Many of you have got behind the suggestion of dedicating a thread to Allan and possibly a magazine article highlighting his work.  You cannot begin to imagine how touched Sylvia and I am by this idea and would support it fully in whatever way we could and Dad would love the idea too hoping that it might inspire the next generation of model railway enthusiasts.  So, we're open to any suggestions!  What a send off!

Happy modelling guys,

Shane and Sylvia

I suspect copyright would be a stumbling block (not to mention tracking down all the articles) but a comprehensive book along the lines of "The Modelling Techniques of Allan Downes" would I'm sure go down a storm.

R.I.P Allan.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Like others on here, I've been a bit late to the news of Allan's sad passing. I've not been around on here for a couple of months and found out belatedly, on facebook of all places. It's been wonderful reading back all the lovely memories of Allan and his inspiration to many. He was the closest thing we had to a Rock Star in the world of modelling and I'm sure everyone he conversed with and offered words of conversation felt incredibly blessed. This thread is a treasure trove of modelling knowledge and it's a testament to his skill and his character that he chose to share it all with us.

Farewell Mr Downes, you will be sadly missed, but your Legacy will live on,

Lee

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

As a tribute to Allan's excellent modelling, I'll post a picture of a work in progress bridge built in true 'Downes' style....

post-18825-0-25164400-1540466400_thumb.jpg

It may not be up to his standards but after bending his ear on several occasions for advice, I hope his influence can clearly be seen. I feel slightly sad that I can't show him but I'll be eternally grateful for his time. 

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If all Allan's buildings could be assembled in one place there would be a huge card city.  What a fantastic lifetime achievement you have left us with.

Rest In Peace Allan. You really are top modeler and have truly left your mark.

Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...
On 16/08/2018 at 11:57, Denbridge said:

Not having been for several years, i wonder if Pipers Mead is still on display at Pecorama? Probably his best known work and a fitting tribute to a great modeller and one of the hobby's great characters. RIP Allan.

Hello Denbridge, I went along to Pecorama for the first time in January of last year (2019) to hopefully find my dad's Pipers Mead.  Unfortunately it was dismantled a few years ago.  A small diorama still exists measuring about a metre square which I understand was made by Allan about 25 years ago.  Shame.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Shane,

At the end of last year I stumbled upon some of your late father's work for sale and I couldn't resist buying this row of shops:

P1010622.JPG.22563369e80c5263e86019b65de8195c.JPG

I tried to find out about the provenance of the model, for example whether it was a commission or bought off the shelf as it were. All I could find out was, it was bought by a modeller who had passed away, and was being sold on behalf of his widow.

The seller had half a dozen similar models from the same source. They were all nicely pleasing on the eye but I felt this one would stand on its own particularly well.

It is a beautiful thing. At the moment it sits in a glass display cabinet in my office. I don't have room for a 7mm layout but I think a small diorama showing a street scene would be nice. Some of the chimney pots fell off in transit and I need to fix these back on. The middle shop has a flap on the back so a window display can go inside.

If you would like to have it, drop me a PM. Maybe it would make up a bit for the loss of Piper's Mead.

- Richard.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, 47137 said:

Shane,

At the end of last year I stumbled upon some of your late father's work for sale and I couldn't resist buying this row of shops:

P1010622.JPG.22563369e80c5263e86019b65de8195c.JPG

I tried to find out about the provenance of the model, for example whether it was a commission or bought off the shelf as it were. All I could find out was, it was bought by a modeller who had passed away, and was being sold on behalf of his widow.

The seller had half a dozen similar models from the same source. They were all nicely pleasing on the eye but I felt this one would stand on its own particularly well.

It is a beautiful thing. At the moment it sits in a glass display cabinet in my office. I don't have room for a 7mm layout but I think a small diorama showing a street scene would be nice. Some of the chimney pots fell off in transit and I need to fix these back on. The middle shop has a flap on the back so a window display can go inside.

If you would like to have it, drop me a PM. Maybe it would make up a bit for the loss of Piper's Mead.

- Richard.

Hello Richard,

Thank you for sharing these photos.  I am not sure if I have seen these buildings before but it's typical of my dad to use a name from a nostalgic TV series in this case Arkwright's from Open All Hours. 

Last month I stumbled upon some of dad's model buildings for sale, one was a cinema with the film 'Shane' showing, I was astonished because I had no idea he'd built it. 

In February I moved down to live in Penzance and set up a workshop to build dolls houses and have my dad's Chester Rows and his Fender Strat' guitar overseeing me as I work! 

I'll PM you Richard.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 25/10/2018 at 12:23, scoobyra said:

As a tribute to Allan's excellent modelling, I'll post a picture of a work in progress bridge built in true 'Downes' style....

It may not be up to his standards but after bending his ear on several occasions for advice, I hope his influence can clearly be seen. I feel slightly sad that I can't show him but I'll be eternally grateful for his time. 

Hi Scoobyra,

Your bridge looks brilliant and I know dad would agree with me.  Well done!

Shane

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/08/2018 at 00:21, monkeysarefun said:

I remember reading the Railway Modeller and having this image of Allan as being some earnest looking Roye England style character, in cardigan and specky glasses so it was a big surprise when one issue had one of his articles that contained a picture of him standing behind a baseboard covered in his creations.  I was amazed that the bloke who built all these models was young and hip with cool hair and looked a bit like my favourite  one in The Goodies - the one with the beard..

Here he appears at around the 4 minute mark with his trademark Colron wood dye and still-cool hair..  R I P allan.

I have never seen this until tonight, you can't imagine how happy and grateful I am for you sharing this, thank you.  Dad moved from that house in 2010 and the Steelworks were made a few years before that so I'm guessing this video was made in early 00s.  It's great to hear his voice again and to see him doing what he loves best while sounding like he has a plan!

Shane

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

42 minutes ago, Shane Downes said:

I have never seen this until tonight, you can't imagine how happy and grateful I am for you sharing this, thank you.  Dad moved from that house in 2010 and the Steelworks were made a few years before that so I'm guessing this video was made in early 00s.  It's great to hear his voice again and to see him doing what he loves best while sounding like he has a plan!

Shane

Gday Shane,

Really touched that it brought you happiness, I must admit not keeping up with the Brit Railway modelling scene until recently I'd assumed your dad had passed on long ago so it was a great joy to find him still alive and kicking and posting here. He really was a big part of my childhood and I was a bit starstruck when he'd post in reply to anything I wrote here! 

He had a heap of threads here as I guess you'd know, movies etc - and I remember his excitement when he discovered the Australian thread and started posting in there too, mainly his amazement that we hadn't succumbed to the wildlife! We made him an honourary Aussie, he seemed to have a real soft spot for us..

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125159-for-those-that-fear-coming-to-australia/page/6/&tab=comments#comment-2855406

His genorosity in sharing his skills and his encouragement and positive comments to all who posted pics of their efforts here are a great legacy, on top of all the brilliant models he left.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2020 at 00:15, Shane Downes said:

Hi Scoobyra,

Your bridge looks brilliant and I know dad would agree with me.  Well done!

Shane

Thank you Shane

I’m sure I’m not alone in saying that your Dad inspired many people just like myself to ‘have a go’. 

He will continue to be missed by the modelling world, I’m sure, for many years to come.

All the best

Mike

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Shane

Absolutely stunning work which can only be inspirational to others

I personally have no issues with you sharing your own work on this site, firstly its a stunning piece of craftsmanship, secondly buildings are part of railway modelling and skills do transfer between disciplines and scales, thirdly we have plenty on this site who either work in or are interested in larger scale modelling

Have you seen Gordon's ET thread which has several of your dad's buildings

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Shane Downes said:

) and he always encouraged me to build a layout I have always been meaning to build, haven't yet but one day soon will.  In the meantime I'm cutting my teeth with the big stuff and today start another roombox, one with an interesting staircase and hidden door.  

6.JPG

Have you thought about 1/12 or 7/8ths scale Heywood railways on 15in gauge using 32mm gauge? :diablo_mini:

The real thing 

DDDEF450-1D23-4106-807E-0E0DEC9F6F17.jpeg.fcb6cee4bd2b86a3401c897e3f553c9c.jpeg

& Bill Corser’s Berger Hall

A1F37D60-FA29-4206-933D-AB5D5175CFBB.jpeg.8c3ec245ac7d14633596298c908f8117.jpeg

Just an idea for those lovely models ;) 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Shane Downes said:

Hello wonderful peeps,

I hope no one minds a little self indulgence (I am a Downes after all!) or that I am not breaking site rules (I am a Downes after all!) but I'd like to show you what I recently finished making.  It's a 1:12 scale dollshouse roombox.  Over the years I've made several buildings mainly on 7mm/O gauge and Dad and I loved sharing ideas, stories, tips (though he gave me many more than I gave him) and he always encouraged me to build a layout I have always been meaning to build, haven't yet but one day soon will.  In the meantime I'm cutting my teeth with the big stuff and today start another roombox, one with an interesting staircase and hidden door.  I hope you are all keeping well and staying safe at this wretched time.

Shane

1.jpg

6.JPG

9.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Brilliant work Shane..

Does Iain Robinson have any model-making progeny? If so it'd be neat to start  "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better- The Next Generation"..

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 06/04/2020 at 09:32, hayfield said:

Shane

Have you seen Gordon's ET thread which has several of your dad's buildings

Thank you very much hayfield, plus I have always been inspired by railways and railway modelling and see RMWeb as 'keeping my hand in' or 'keeping my eye on' what's going on and I feel I'm amongst friends here.  Don't think Dad had any enemies!

I wasn't aware of Gordon's ET thread but cannot wait to see it.  Thanks for letting me know. :-)

• Like 1

On 06/04/2020 at 10:20, PaulRhB said:

Have you thought about 1/12 or 7/8ths scale Heywood railways on 15in gauge using 32mm gauge? :diablo_mini:

The real thing 

DDDEF450-1D23-4106-807E-0E0DEC9F6F17.jpeg.fcb6cee4bd2b86a3401c897e3f553c9c.jpeg

& Bill Corser’s Berger Hall

A1F37D60-FA29-4206-933D-AB5D5175CFBB.jpeg.8c3ec245ac7d14633596298c908f8117.jpeg

Just an idea for those lovely models ;) 

Hi Paul, am I right in understanding that there are 1:12 scale trains out there?  That's also a smashing little layout abover, Bergar Hall.  Is that 1:12 scale?

On 06/04/2020 at 11:51, Gravy Train said:

Hi Shane,

lovely model, knew your a Dad very well, had some good laughs at Exhibitions with him and on here also.
We shared the same interests in music as well as in the Hobby.

Peter A L.

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for that.  So you are a fan of A-patch as well are you?!

Shane