"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Great stuff Alan,

One has to be aware that when two waring factions are ........... the war could escalate then before you know it its ration books and all that , I can see a Coaling tower in the distance I wonder what its up to?:-):

Peter

".....the war could escalate then before you know it its ration books and all that"

Scotsmen are ALWAYS on ration books Peter, Robinson re invented them !!

A coaling tower eh ? - funny you should say that as it was just what I was thinking, and especially after Robinson's Risborough !

Right, now where's those files, where's that coaler......

Edited by allan downes

Guest jonte

Sassenach, is it? Right!

I've had a pep talk from the trainer and a swipe with the miracle sponge...it's time to get up and slug it out again!

Here are a few images of a 4mm model I made for a customer of Princes Risborough...

attachicon.gifroadside up side (800x350).jpg

attachicon.gifplatform view 2 sml (800x661).jpg

attachicon.gifLow footbridge (800x497).jpg

attachicon.gifKiosk 1 (787x520).jpg

attachicon.gifRisboro Down Bldg sml.jpg

Just like to say for the record that this is one of the most realistic station buildings I have EVER seen. This, along with Wenlock's William Clarke station building in 7mm scale.

Magnificent!

Jonte.

• Like 2

Just like to say for the record that this is one of the most realistic station buildings I have EVER seen. This, along with Wenlock's William Clarke station building in 7mm scale.

Magnificent!

Jonte.

Thank you, Jonte.

To be in the same paragraph as Wenlock is a great honour.

cheers

Iain

• Like 1

"Just like to say for the record that this is one of the most realistic station buildings I have EVER seen. This, along with Wenlock's William Clarke station building in 7mm scale.

Magnificent!"

Jonte

Hey Jonte, whoe's side you on anyway ?!!!! :O

But you did say ONE OF the most realistic I suppose.. :sungum: .

• Like 1

Lots of swearie words later...

Those are absolutely amazing, Allan. I am not sure how to respond to this, as I have never made a castle! I love all these photos, but the scene with the half timbering and the columns is brilliant. You win this round!

cheers,

Iain

Lots of swearie words later...

Those are absolutely amazing, Allan. I am not sure how to respond to this, as I have never made a castle! I love all these photos, but the scene with the half timbering and the columns is brilliant. You win this round!

cheers,

Iain

What, just THIS round ?!

Anyway Iain, and as much as I hate to say this, your Risborough gets my vote so far and leads by a length (ouch)

But I do have some  bad news - time to get serious, really serious - CATHEDRALS - outside AND in ! So, up for it ?!

Tell me you've just been dreading this moment - go on!

Cheers

Allan.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

CASTLES!!!!!

Fantastic Allan. What is especially convincing here is that you manage to make the castles look natural in their environment, and with a whole townscape around them. They don't look like spaceships dropped from the sky, as is often the case when the rest of us have a go at castles etc.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

Guest jonte

"Just like to say for the record that this is one of the most realistic station buildings I have EVER seen. This, along with Wenlock's William Clarke station building in 7mm scale.

Magnificent!"

Jonte

Hey Jonte, whoe's side you on anyway ?!!!! :O

But you did say ONE OF the most realistic I suppose.. :sungum: .

Rather clumsy of me, Allan, under the circumstances. Apologies.

Seeing it again took me back. Back to the time I first saw it after discovering Iain's excellent blog linked to another modelling blog. Recognising Iain's venerable name from my - ahum - youth, I simply had to delve further. This was when I discovered Risborough and found it difficult to leave those hallowed pages. I was simply awe inspired. There are plenty of excellent models about, as can be found here amongst the many pages of this forum, but Risborough moved me. This really was difficult to fathom whether I was looking at a model or the real thing. So realistic. My limited vocabulary cannot do it justice.

The downside, of course, was the realisation that I was unlikely to ever achieve such standards, but I can live with that. I've discovered that as long as you accept your limitations, you really can enjoy the hobby. And that's good enough for me.

Wenlock's masterpiece had the same effect, as did Hursley, although with the greatest of respect to Mr. Welch, like for like, IMHO Wenlock's is better. In Hursley's defence, the overall picture was masterful and ranks as one of the best layouts I've come across.

Mention must also be made of Mikkel's wonderful cameo (if you would allow me to call it so, Mikkel); a masterpiece in miniature which also moved me and was the inspiration for my current interest in Edwardian modelling. To create that much atmosphere in such a small space is ingenious, and the overall standard of modelling is exquisite. I adore that waiting room; the fact it was built from the simplest of materials is difficult to believe.

As another venerable name, Allan, I could add your landmark portfolio(s) to the list, however...............................I'd probably still be writing this time tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, as they say: a picture paints a thousand words.

Am I forgiven?  :sorry:

Bestest,

Jonte

• Like 3