"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

• RMweb Premium

This is looking good Allan. Full of life and atmosphere. You made the right decision opting for the cottages.

As regards figures I prefer the plastic variety because you can very easily swap their heads and add details such as tools and bags etc. Mine then receive a light spray of rattle can black before I dry brush water based acrylic paint in layers for the skin and clothing.

post-8964-0-14446200-1488041234_thumb.jpg

Regards Shaun.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Getting off the bus.

This was supplied and built by Scalelink that's why it hasn't fallen apart at the seams as it would have if I'd built it !

Ignore the half built building in the background - I'll finish it tomorrow.

Cheers.

Allan

attachicon.gifGETTING OF THE BUS 001.JPGattachicon.gifGETTING OF THE BUS 002.JPGattachicon.gifGETTING OF THE BUS 003.JPGattachicon.gifGETTING OF THE BUS 005.JPGattachicon.gifGETTING OF THE BUS 007.JPG

Have to say that the woman in the blue coat with the purposeful attitude looks a bit Nora Batty!  You know the modelling's good when they start to take on personalities like that...

• RMweb Gold

A bit late to this, but my only concern with the cottages is they look older than the railway , i.e. they were built first.

If so, why were they built in a straight line, and what was on the other side of the road that must have been demolished to build the station ?

A bit late to this, but my only concern with the cottages is they look older than the railway , i.e. they were built first.

If so, why were they built in a straight line, and what was on the other side of the road that must have been demolished to build the station ?

So what you're more or less saying is that before the railways came along, there were no villages at all !

Curving high streets and sweeping scenery is very unkind when all you've got is a 6'x6" x 2'x9" flush door on which to represent a convincing slice of England.

I welcome constructive criticism but what you say Stubby is quite pointless and it's if you're just hoping to find something to criticize so let me help you. The cottages are made out of cardboard and the loco's out of plastic. Hardly prototypical wouldn't you say?  - and as to what was on the other side of the road that had to be demolished to make way for the railway. Well then, who said there was anything at all, just plain fields or, as in my case, a few feet of flush door.

Silly comments my friend after all the work I put into it.

Cheers.

Allan

• RMweb Gold

Allan,

No, not trying to be critical at all - far from it, and big apologies if that's the way it reads.

I accept that we as modellers are restricted to the limits of the baseboard and have to make the models fit.

My badly phrased point was I was trying to promote the case for the brewery (as that was more likely to be built after the railway and therefore would follow the same  alignment). 

Yes, village buildings were built on one side of a road - especially where there was a large green between the rows of cottages.  

I think it's possibly my own hang-ups about trying to create a realistic environment, and the consideration of the how the building history of the area has changed over the years. 

Apologies again.

Stu

Edited by Stubby47

G'day Mr Downes!  As a long time fan from back in the Railway Modeller days   of budgie grit and woolly thatched roofs I've just been thinking that I can't recall figures playing a big part in your models much before? I no longer have the old  Railway Modeller issues but as proof of how many times I read your bits, I seem to recall all these years later that you did a model of Constables 'The Haywain' which had a bloke in a cart (or am I just confusing it with the actual Constables The Haywain..?) but apart from that I can't recall any other times. Is that right or am I getting old and so therefore getting that thing where I forget stuff?

I reckon that little plastic/whitemetal  people have long been the low point in model accessories, but those Prieser ones you have are brilliant, the first I've seen that have a personality. I've not looked into Prieser before because down here we have very limited stock of everything, but I've spent a rainy afternoon checking out their range and I have to say that they are great fun. For instance I mean how happy would the bloke who built a model of a doll hospital feel realising that he could populate it!

post-22541-0-56472600-1488617280_thumb.jpg

As a Sydney sider though, given that this is the Sydney Gay and ######  (hmmm,, I wrote the L word there and it gets automagicaly censored - try it yourself!)  Mardi Gras weekend, I'm a bit sad that they don't cater for my planned upcoming model of Sydneys Oxford Street..

post-22541-0-83935600-1488617631_thumb.jpeg

If its ok, , can I just chime in and mention that I don't read Stubby's comment as a criticism of your work in any way, instead I'm thinking that he has an image of a place prior to the railway coming, and wondering what existed there beforehand. Down here we don't have those thinky problems because like the US, the railway came first to many areas west of Sydney, and opened it up and the towns and villages followed - often springing up puirely to service the railway.  I've been watching a few documentaries about the beginnings of  the UK railways, and its a bit sobering to see how much was sacrificed to lay the rails. I think that is maybe what Stubby was alluding to.

In YOUR defence though Allan, Stubbys avatar does come across as a grumpy old bloke who complains about everything so I can see your side of the argument too. Therefore if I was Judge Judy then my ruling would be: Stubby - get yourself a happier little picture and the problem is solved.

Finally can I just say that I cannot believe the speed that you achieve such brilliant results in?

Edited by monkeysarefun

Hi Monkeysarefun.

When I first started took up railway modelling as a hobby the only wee folk available were those by Merit and because they were so awful I avoided incorporating any representation of human life into my models as they completely ruined the realism that I was trying to create - though sand paper tiles and drinking straw chimney pots didn't help either !

However, at the time Airfix offered a pretty realistic brass band but not much else so I tried both Preiser and Merton figures in HO that looked like dwarfes although a client of mine populated his layout - see Civic Splendor in the Railway Modeller - with hundreds of them ! 

And as for clumps of dyed lichen for hedges and bushes and bath sponge trees - well the least said the better yet I used them all as I did with dyed saw dust fort grass !

Cheers.

Allan

• Like 1

Hi Monkeysarefun.

When I first started took up railway modelling as a hobby the only wee folk available were those by Merit and because they were so awful I avoided incorporating any representation of human life into my models as they completely ruined the realism that I was trying to create - though sand paper tiles and drinking straw chimney pots didn't help either !

However, at the time Airfix offered a pretty realistic brass band but not much else so I tried both Preiser and Merton figures in HO that looked like dwarfes although a client of mine populated his layout - see Civic Splendor in the Railway Modeller - with hundreds of them ! 

And as for clumps of dyed lichen for hedges and bushes and bath sponge trees - well the least said the better yet I used them all as I did with dyed saw dust fort grass !

Cheers.

Allan

Heh heh, I remember the airfix Grenadier brass band! My brother and I teamed them up  in the sand box  along side their mates the Early Britans, -  up agiainst Robin Hoods Merry Men and the Afrika Corps.  Many  died  via air rifle, the survivors then having to undergo  horrible meltingy death  by the giant magnifying glass,

Figures are a hard thing to get right. If there is no one anywhere your layout can look  like either the zombie apocalypse or that  they've all buggered off to the rapture, but having people in frozen poses can be just as wierd. I do think that your Prieser guys though really do add to the scene. 

Have you ever  thought about taking up this  model making lark for a living? I reckon you'd go ok!

Thanks again.

Chris J

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

Have to say that the woman in the blue coat with the purposeful attitude looks a bit Nora Batty!  You know the modelling's good when they start to take on personalities like that...

My first impression was that she appears to walk like Teresa May; i.e. bo$om thrust forward and sit-upon backward.

This is not a politically motivated observation, I'd feel constrained to comment on Jeremy Corbyn if he had a similar gait. 

Edit: Why won't that stupid censor let me type a lovely word without resorting to subterfuge?

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

She seems very familiar to me too, but it took all this time to remember who she reminded me of - its a character in a 2 Ronnies send up of Chas and Dave doing a Christmas special.

Theres a scene of Ronnie Barker as a matronly lady  marching down a road and I'm sure that Prieser have copied his gait perfectly. The still capture doesn't give the full effect unfortunately and its all black and white and low res, just like life was  in the old days:

post-22541-0-96002700-1488799246_thumb.jpg

Just for completeness, the clip is from a Chas and Dave doco on youtube (Chas and Dave - last orders) and its about the 42 minute mark...

Edited by monkeysarefun

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking through my photo files and there's literally  thousands of them and when trying to locate one, it takes an age scrolling through. There's also a considerable number of 'how to' shots that I thought might be of interest so I spent hours trying to find out how to load them into a new folder and, quite by accident, I found out that it can be done by creating a new folder, tag it then drag and drop photos into it.

So, here's my first effort that shows minimal Tudor construction and hopefully I can build up more how to files or, at least, the way I do things which, no doubt, many people won't want to know anyway !

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-84474300-1489673978_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-86797500-1489673989_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-82422200-1489673998_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-47496500-1489674009_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-06177700-1489674023_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-06711600-1489674047_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-74129500-1489674062_thumb.jpg

post-18579-0-91715000-1489674035_thumb.jpg

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 7

Been looking through my photo files and there's literally  thousands of them and when trying to locate one, it takes an age scrolling through. There's also a considerable number of 'how to' shots that I thought might be of interest so I spent hours trying to find out how to load them into a new folder and, quite by accident, I found out that it can be done by creating a new folder, tag it then drag and drop photos into it.

So, here's my first effort that shows minimal Tudor construction and hopefully I can build up more how to files or, at least, the way I do things which, no doubt, many people won't want to know anyway !

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gifMY PICTURES 647 (2).jpgattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 660.JPGattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 665.JPGattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 669.JPGattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 671.JPGattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 674.JPGattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 691.JPG

.. I love a good 'how I did it' .. and these are so helpful!

Just like being back in Chester again !

It's always useful to post these Allan, we all need to brush up on our techniques and these will help I'm sure, keep 'em coming maestro:)

Grahame

Yet another GWR Country station but this time I treated the Wills stonework differently by just lightly spraying up and under the stonework with matt black and leaving it at that.

It proved to be a lot faster and the build only took 3 days . Also, and as much as I have slammed it in the past, I used card strips for the roofs but a layer of stippled pollyfilla does help to disguise it as such. Anyway, what do you think ?

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-44430800-1490112157_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-32364500-1490112168_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-62767500-1490112178_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-73230600-1490112188_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-45240300-1490112196_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-55465400-1490112206_thumb.jpg

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I think the stonework looks good, though with less colour variation than using your 'traditional' methods. My feeling is it depends what effect you're going for, what type of stone and building you're modelling. The traditional methods do highlight the mortar courses (and sometimes that's exactly what you want) whereas this model, compared to those at the top of the page, to my eye, looks 'cleaner', perhaps less weathered, maybe newer? 

With the roof, the photos suggest the slates on the two storey gable end are more clearly defined than on the station element, if you've used the same technique, is this the angle of viewing? Again, I wouldn't say 'better' or 'worse', I think it's just adapting techiques for a slightly different effect. The impression I get from both walls and roof, is that it's a more modern building (or perhaps better maintained?) than some of those you've previously shown us. With other aspects of the construction, such as your choice of doors and windows (and I'm sure Scalelink have a big range covering the changing architecture through time), a skilful modeller can hint at the age and history of a building without resorting to measures such as putting a date stone above the front door. 

My first impression was that she appears to walk like Teresa May; i.e. bo$om thrust forward and sit-upon backward.

This is not a politically motivated observation, I'd feel constrained to comment on Jeremy Corbyn if he had a similar gait. 

Edit: Why won't that stupid censor let me type a lovely word without resorting to subterfuge?

Gordon, I think it's fair to say that I might feel constrained to comment on Jeremy Corbyn if he had a similar bo$om. :jester:

Dear me, this thread has covered some obscure topics over the years but the priministers gait, just fantastic!

PS. Spellchecker says I've spelt priministers wrong but offers no alternative spelling only the option to ignore or delete. What a dilemma, should I ignore the priminister or just delete her. :jester:  

Suggested acrylic spray paints for GWR chocolate and cream colour scheme.

Halfords Rover Russet Brown for the chocolate. A gloss paint that will need a coat of spray matt varnish to flatten  ( Ebay Rust-oleum acrylic crystal clear matt varnish. Excellent .Fast drying ).

Paint Factory. You'll find them on Ebay and the best spray acrylics anywhere - and cheap when compared. Very fast delivery. Biege grey. Perfect for weathered GWR cream.

Just thought you'd like to know that !

An example GWR signal box later.

Cheers 

Allam

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

Weekend signal box ?

Well, if you can get out of mowing the lawn on Saturday and doing the dishes on Sunday, then it's quite possible.

This small GWR signal box took a day and a half to build which was quicker than it took the boarding to come from Hattons and the windows from Scalelink !

Cheers 

Allan

post-18579-0-40980700-1490373217.jpgpost-18579-0-31950600-1490373227.jpgpost-18579-0-22188100-1490373236.jpgpost-18579-0-80485800-1490373255_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-39711400-1490373263.jpgpost-18579-0-55337100-1490373273_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Excellent as always Allan, always a pleasure to see especially the signal box.

Having spent most of last week in bed with the lurgy I'm chomping at the bit and it's so annoying ( in the nicest possible way ) to see the short time in which you've produced these buildings!

I've walked past this most days to make enough hot drinks to feed an army and its sooo frustrating as I aimed to finish it prior to painting by this weekend....

post-20303-0-94664000-1490537220_thumb.jpeg

post-20303-0-22181200-1490537239_thumb.jpeg

Ah! Well.... It's not a race eh?

Grahame

• Like 3

Just out of interest Grahame does that bridge need covering in rivets? If it does I don't envy you that task. Fantastic modelling so far.

From this posting in no way should it be construed that I am in any way a rivet counter. It just occurred to me that this bridge might need a hell of a lot of them. Lets hope for Grahame's sake it was built of concrete or summat else that's not rivety.

Edited by iainp

Just out of interest Grahame does that bridge need covering in rivets? If it does I don't envy you that task. Fantastic modelling so far.

From this posting in no way should it be construed that I am in any way a rivet counter. It just occurred to me that this bridge might need a hell of a lot of them. Lets hope for Grahame's sake it was built of concrete or summat else that's not rivety.

Concrete ! Concrete! LOL

Mr.Brunel would turn in his grave !

There are and will be rivets but who's counting? Certainly not me :) But thank you for the comment much appreciated:)

• RMweb Gold

Concrete ! Concrete! LOL

Mr.Brunel would turn in his grave !

There are and will be rivets but who's counting? Certainly not me :) But thank you for the comment much appreciated:)

Ah a fan of Brunel are you Grahame. Lucky you like rivets then. Have you ever built a model of the Tamar Bridge yet, that's a brilliant bridge. Or if you're looking for a real challenge how about a model of the Great Eastern I bet that had loads of rivets. I bet even Allan couldn't knock together a Tamar Bridge, even in a week, although he's probably got some clever spray on rivet technique, you know how he is.

Edited by iainp