"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Shane Downes said:

Hi Paul, am I right in understanding that there are 1:12 scale trains out there?  That's also a smashing little layout abover, Berger Hall.  Is that 1:12 scale?

Berger Hall is 1/24.

There are commercial kits in 7/8ths (1/13.7 scale, but many 1/12th bits are used as the difference is small) from Modelearth design,  North Pilton Works, Simply 7/8ths and a few others. Many 16mm or g scale chassis can be used too. It’s used to model 2ft gauge using 45mm track and 18” or 15” using 32mm track. 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 12:39, PaulRhB said:

Berger Hall is 1/24.

There are commercial kits in 7/8ths (1/13.7 scale, but many 1/12th bits are used as the difference is small) from Modelearth design,  North Pilton Works, Simply 7/8ths and a few others. Many 16mm or g scale chassis can be used too. It’s used to model 2ft gauge using 45mm track and 18” or 15” using 32mm track. 

Thanks Paul, I've taken a look at those and think they're perfect for what I will need.  Excellent description too, most helpful.

Shane

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Shane Downes said:

Thanks Paul, I've taken a look at those and think they're perfect for what I will need.  Excellent description too, most helpful.

Shane

Might be worth having a look on the 7/8ths forum too, here’s a link to Steph Hickings superb Snipe Farm. 
http://www.7-8ths.info/index.php?topic=16682502.msg61644#msg61644

Also on here! :)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Hello Shane.

It was a pleasure to meet your dad through these pages. I always loved his market town modeling style.

He could also turn his hand to heavy industry modeling and post Beeching subjects like a true artist should.  Allan Downs will remain one of the hobbies greatest sources of inspiration, immortalized in the pages of all the model railway publications and his threads on RMweb. I was digging through a box of parts today and found a pack of Downs Glaze windows so thought I’d post on here because I would have liked to have told your dad about that.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 1

I was up in my dads roofspace and found a stack of my old models. I remember building this one back one school holiday in the late '70's from one of Allans Railway Modeller articles, I'd have been 14 or 15.

I had never seen thatch in real life but I remember getting in trouble for using wool that mum had bought for a jumper or something.

cottage.jpg.8e539b2084120790ad882dfac6c48b3d.jpg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Hello Shane

My name is Andrew Jones and I am a member of the Luton Model Railway Club.

I thought you might be interested in the attached photo, which shows the Church (which features on Page 1 of this thread) in its new location, on one of our club members layouts that is in the course of completion.

496772294_ADChirch1.jpg.278a925ec0178befb39ee5f9804cf707.jpg

The church has stood up well to the passing of time, and makes a great feature.

Hopefully more people will be able to see this when the layout is exhibited (whenever that will be!)

Rgds Andrew

• Like 18

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 17/08/2018 at 00:21, monkeysarefun said:

I remember reading the Railway Modeller and having this image of Allan as being some earnest looking Roye England style character, in cardigan and specky glasses so it was a big surprise when one issue had one of his articles that contained a picture of him standing behind a baseboard covered in his creations.  I was amazed that the bloke who built all these models was young and hip with cool hair and looked a bit like my favourite  one in The Goodies - the one with the beard..

Here he appears at around the 4 minute mark with his trademark Colron wood dye and still-cool hair..  R I P allan.

I thought I would take a look at this video tonight, specifically to refresh my memory of how the late great Allan Downes painted his stonework, Colron wood dye, talcum powder, etc.  But - the video is no longer available.  Does anyone know where/how I can find a copy?  

Many thanks

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, polybear said:

Is Colron able to keep  their head above water since Allan left us?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2