Highley SVR

Andy Y

With the imminent release of Bachmann's Scenecraft model of Highley Signal Box (click here) I thought I'd dig up an old article from 2006 that gives more information on this station.

Highley Station is situated on the Severn Valley Railway roughly halfway between Bridgnorth and Bewdley. Pleasant Shropshire countryside is not an area immediately associated with mining and quarrying but that is the reason for the development of the village which sits some half a mile from the railway and some 300 feet higher up above the valley.

Highleymap.gif

The railway came in 1862 and the Highley Mining Company in 1874 opened a new mine in the area shown at the top of the map on the opposite bank of the River Severn which has since become the Severn Valley Country Park after the mine's closure in 1969. Traffic from the colliery and agricultural freight became the main reason for the existence of the railway. The need for passenger services was limited with normally four services in each direction daily. Closer to Highley Station is the site of Stanley Quarry which was rail served from Highley's yard, the connecting spur still exists crossing over Station Road, the lane which leads down from the village. The site of Stanley Quarry now forms the f facility for storage and display of out of traffic stock in 'The Engine House' which opened in 2007.

Passenger traffic ceased in 1962, freight in 1969. The recently formed Severn Valley Railway Company then acquired ownership and prepared the line south of Hampton Loade with services resuming in 1974. The station is still very much as it has always been with the exception of the removal of a lattice work footbridge from the south end of the station in 1973 which was recognised as a costly renovation and ongoing cost that could be managed without.

Highley lacks the bustle normally found at Bridgnorth, Bewdley and Kidderminster. The station always seems quieter than the normal passing loop stations of Hampton Loade and Arley but in my opinion is all the better for it. Time your visit in when timetables C or D are in operation and the reward is still a quiet station with trains in alternating directions every 20 minutes or so. Gala events bring more visitors but with the possibility of seeing services turned around at Highley and frequently the scene of freight operations also.

There is very limited parking at the station, the alternative is to walk from the country park about 400m up the hill from the station where there is normally ample parking. Access to the platform via the yard is over the barrow crossing so due caution is advised. Once a train has arrived you will find you are unable to access the barrow crossing due to the fact that Highley Station platform at four coach lengths is shorter than the regular trains.

highleydiagram.jpg

A track plan of the station as it is now but far from being to scale, purely to show the general arrangement of lines. The platform length is roughly equivalent to four Mark1 coach lengths. To the left of the plan is the line north to Hampton Loade and Bridgnorth, to the right the line south to Arley and Kidderminster. The line to Stanley Quarry is shown crossing Station Road to the right.

Selective compression of the sidings should mean that the plan is achievable in around 8' in 4mm scale. Shortening the loops further but retaining the station length is possible obviously but substantial reduction would lose the flavour of this pleasant spot.

Highle1.jpg

The foundation of the demolished footbridge can be seen in the bottom left of this view of the barrow crossing.

Highle2.jpg

If you are wondering why the signal box looks so familiar it was also the basis of Ratio's GWR box and gives a good idea of the various shades to replicate in the lower level brickwork. A wider view of the box below shows the loading gauge on the siding to the rear of the box.

Highle3.jpg

Highle4.jpg

A Western Region TPO forms the current visitor centre for Highley Station with historic photos of the station and surrounds along with local information.

Highle5.jpg

A small crane on a brick built platform is used as a goods stage for the removal of goods from the wagons to adjacent storage or vehicles proving it is not essential to have a goods shed in a small station yard.

Highle6.jpg

A closer view of the stone built station with the majority of windows having an arched stone lintel above. Doorways are set quite deeply into the walls. The waiting room block below is a little more ornate on the platform frontage with its canopy and brackets. The brick built gable end and chimneys show that some architectural continuity was respected despite economies of materials in other respects. A small timber office is adjoined to the gable end.

Highle7.jpg

Highle8.jpg

Highle9.jpg

The Severn Valley Railway can be relied upon to give the stations the right atmosphere with a wealth of paraphernalia including this finger board train indicator, a selection of boards lie vertically in the storage housing to the right of the picture with the appropriate board being pulled up into a horizontal position to indicate the stops for the next train.

Highle10.jpg

To the north of the waiting room building is this ex-GWR horse box pressed into usage for storage. A shame about the roof though.

Highle11.jpg

To the south of the main station building an access gate to the properties lower down towards the river separates two small lamp huts from the unusual platform ending.

Highle12.jpg

Looking south towards Arley is the seemingly lightweight girder bridge over the lane. It can be that insubstantial however with the capacity to support weighty pacifics through the preservation years. There is quite a pronounced hump to the bridge as the hillside banks of the Severn on this stretch of line are prone to slippage which has resulted in some severe speed restrictions over the years. A roadside view of the bridge is shown below.

Highle13.jpg

Highle14.jpgHighle15.jpg

The water tower at the south of the station sees limited use but there is still a brazier at the base to reduce the chance of freezing and subsequent damage. The home signal shown has quite a pronounced lean when viewed from the platform as have many of the signals and telegraph poles due to the subsidence mentioned above. The small cattle dock below seems to be in an awkward place but at least it was sufficiently distant from the station and signal box.

Highle16.jpg

Highle17.jpg

Highle18.jpg

A ground signal on a pole to aid visibility for entering the Stanley Quarry sidings, probably necessitated by the curve in the track with visibility impeded by the cattle dock.

Highle19.jpg

The uneven nature of the track can be seen in this view and that the site is far from level with the right hand loop being some 12" higher most of the time than the platform road. The signal and point rodding crosses the loops and station yard underground and emerges in the cavity seen in the platform face beneath the waiting room in the picture further up the page. The rodding is then turned and follows along the eastern side of the line as seen below in the view north from the station below.

Highle20.jpg

Former goods sidings are still pressed into use for storage of longer term out of traffic stock and the railway's breakdown train.

Modelling the Severn Valley Railway in its preservation form can give a model full of variety with many of the railway's key rolling stock items available in RTR formats from major manufacturers over the years. Taking the project onwards many accessories are available to recreate a classic small station in detail. Add in the diesel galas and you could probably justify a wider range of stock using this as a basis than many other scenarios.

• RMweb Gold

Due to a shortage of time, Highley was as far as Re6/6 and I went on a trip from Kidderminster last year, but it was a lovely place to get out and wait for the train back. We went up to the new museum facility up the road, but didn't have enough time to warrent shelling out for the admission fee, however. There was a decent second hand book and magazine emporium on the station, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Highley was also the location of the TV series "Oh Doctor Beeching" from the producers of "Hi-De-Hi"

The BBC built a row of cottages in the station yard.

I think it only ran for one series.

Highley station is as Andy has said a lovely quiet little backwater and now with the engine house, go to be worth a break from the train.

Regards,

Neal.

What a wonderful abd informative article.

The footbridge is in the process of being replaced and this amy already be complete - does anybody know?

This is my favorite station on the railway and as stated possibly the quietist.

Don't all go at once!

Dr. Beeching was filmed at Arely.

Regards, John.

• RMweb Premium

What a wonderful abd informative article.

The footbridge is in the process of being replaced and this amy already be complete - does anybody know?

This is my favorite station on the railway and as stated possibly the quietist.

Don't all go at once!

Dr. Beeching was filmed at Arely.

Regards, John.

Hi John,

One of the sets of steps is up, I understand the plan is to try to have it finished by the 21st of October. Heres hoping they do because it will make a great photo spot, although then a pain for crews trying to see the right away in the Up direction.

Nice photos Andy, it reminds you what a nice quite place Highley was having a picnic by the cattle dock and taking phots with some Highley slice.

Thought you might like to see my favourite photo of Bradley Manor heading a northbound train at Highley, on 29th December 2005. It never got above 3?° all day!

post-711-12555214270753_thumb.jpg

Just shows you how the scene has changed since the flood damage and the building of the Engine House??¦??¦

Tim

Highley is my favorite station on the line because of its quietness. One of my father's friends signalman there so we did a lot of mooching around. If you have time i recommend walking along the river to Arley and catching the train back. I haven't been since the opening of the museum and i am a bit worried in case it has spoilt the atmosphere? PS Scarily I've just realised it was 20 years ago!

• RMweb Premium

Highley is to the Severn Valley like Medstead and Four Marks is to the Mid Hants, a really nice quiet station that reminds one of how they would have been. Sadly the Engine House has slightly destroyed the atmosphere but it is still a very nice spot to wait for a train going in the other direction. I know that the Engine House cost them a lot of money and making it look like an old building would have cost even more but can't help feeling that in years to come they may regret not making it look like a 19th century building rather than the 21st century item that is there.

The footbridge will have the added bonus that it will block the view of the Engine House from much of the platform as well as being a good point to take photos from.

I was hoping to go to the SVR on 30th October but with Hampton Loade loop out of action they can't run the normal service and at present can't say exactly what service will be run. Being a great lover of riding the trains rather than watching them go past I normally spend most of the day on Timetable B riding between Bewdley and Hampton Loade but that won't be possible and until I can find out the exact plans they have I will not be booking my Chiltern tickets to get there.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

I understand they hope to have an updated timetable on the main web site by early next week. The trains are still running, but on a different timetable, which i understand is basicly timetable X. I understand the latest is that work will start at Hampton Loade in January with the hope of being finished for Feb half term. During that time trains will run from Kiddder to Highley.

Your certainly right about how Highley used to be a quiet place, at least in preservation days. It must have been a bit louder when all the pits were working with wagons coming from the yard by gravity into the sidings at the station. I agree as well that the footbridge will make a great vantage point.

I seam to remember that the reasons for the supermarket look alike were that the land was so unstable it would not support an although it would have been nice if it had been tried.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree as well that the footbridge will make a great vantage point.? 

It certainly opens up some new angles:

gallery_1_260_111931.jpg

Although I think it's actually adversely affected the backwater feel of Highley. I appreciate that it's necessary given the additional footfall through the station as a result of Engine House visitors.

gallery_1_260_131637.jpg

I applaud the Engine House for what it is but not where it is - however that has also gifted us with some easily accessible quality photo spots. A great place to sit and take one's afternoon tea watching trains go by.

gallery_1_260_220628.jpg

Images courtesy of my lad Harry.

Lovely photographs. Were they taken on Tuesday when 1744 was stopping every 100 yards because of a braking problem?

Some were taken on Tues, some Weds - there's more in the gallery here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=1&do=view_album&album=260

I'm trying to get to grips with uploading from the new camcorder (file conversions and all that) but should hopefully have some shots of it labouring up Eardington Bank on Tuesday afternoon and brief shots of slipping whilst restarting near the top of the bank by the foot crossing.

• RMweb Premium

should hopefully have some shots of it labouring up Eardington Bank on Tuesday afternoon and brief shots of slipping whilst restarting near the top of the bank by the foot crossing.

That's it. I'd gone out and back from Bridgnorth. Eardington Bank proved challenging both ways. The problem was maintaining the vacuum. As soon as the train restarted the brakes began to operate.

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff, before my dear ol' mum died in 2000, when I used to go and visit(she lived in Wolverhampton) for a weekend or three, I would shoot off to Highley station, park by the barrow crossing, and just 'loose myself' for a couple of hours. It was a superb place to think things over, wander round, and take in the piece, and quiet, the pics bring it all back - must go back for a visit. Incidentally was Arley renamed Hatley for a TV series, I have a pic of said name in place on the station.

Spent the weekend in Bridgenorth, stayed in touring caravan so nice and handy for town and railway. Loved the museum at Highley, it is a bit inaccessible by road......but what a great reason to get on the train and get off at Highley for a few hours. The scenic location is fantastic, somewhere you want to linger at a while at.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Must admit having spent time at Highley before and after the engine house I was surprised at the design that I felt wasn't in keeping with its environs. of course its great to have so much under cover but still think it could have been done better. That's not to say it couldn't have been modern but to my eyes its a terribly unattractive building.

cant pretend I wasnt disapointed when I saw this modern shot of highley :(

http://clive-hanley.fotopic.net/p61906003.html

yes its all good to have a museum, but Im not a fan of the building or its location

Mike

That is the first time I have seen a photograph of the Engine House. I hadn't realised how b***** ugly it was, nor how close it was to the line. I must confess that I don't like the addition of the footbridge either. The entire area now looks cramped and completely spoilt. So much for preserving the ambience of a GWR country station!

Steve

Archived