• RMweb Premium

Given the speed restrictions on the single section of line you would gain as extra path or two an hour over the bridge. Doubling of the bridge over the Gunnislake line is not a massive issue as a second parallel bridge could easily be added. 

• RMweb Premium

Not over the Tamar itself - that would require really major investment - but what benefits might there be in reinstating double to its original distance as far as the bridge on the English side?

• RMweb Gold

Not over the Tamar itself - that would require really major investment - but what benefits might there be in reinstating double to its original distance as far as the bridge on the English side?

The main advantage of that would be in mitigating delays to Down trains in the event of Up trains with tight single line crossing times running a few minutes late.  The capacity gain would not be very much and in any case capacity is constrained by some long sections in Cornwall plus the Largin single line.  I reckon - on the basis if some of my past studies - that far better value would be delivered by improving signal section capacity in certain parts of Cornwall rather than re-doubling the section from St Budeaux to Royal Albert Bridge.

Line occupation in Cornwall nowadays is not great and hardly stretches capacity although it is probably greater than it was back in 1984 when I produce a fairly draconian singling scheme for the entire Cornish mainline which effectively complemented the Burngullow - Probus singling.   Although the main aim of my scheme was to avoid closure west of the Tamar it was quite feasible operationally although it would obviously have constrained the timetable for ever more - but better that than no Cornish mainline and at least it helped keep the Serpell inspired wolves at bay (as did my other large scale singling proposals).

• RMweb Gold

back in 1984 when I produce a fairly draconian singling scheme for the entire Cornish mainline which effectively complemented the Burngullow - Probus singling.   Although the main aim of my scheme was to avoid closure west of the Tamar it was quite feasible operationally although it would obviously have constrained the timetable for ever more - but better that than no Cornish mainline and at least it helped keep the Serpell inspired wolves at bay (as did my other large scale singling proposals).

Just think of the royalties I could have earned on all those re-doubling books by now.... ;)  :D

• RMweb Gold

capacity is constrained by some long sections in Cornwall plus the Largin single line.  I reckon - on the basis if some of my past studies - that far better value would be delivered by improving signal section capacity in certain parts of Cornwall rather than re-doubling the section from St Budeaux to Royal Albert Bridge.

Quite right, the longest sections are Saltash - St Germans and St Germans to Liskeard. The Largin single line is only really a problem when the signalling is affected by lightning etc....

• RMweb Premium

And while there are some closely-spaced trains at times these are "flighted" and the nature of the line at the end of the country means that they are largely in the same direction.  Successive up early morning trains follow each other at minimum headways as do down late evening ones.  But there is no conflict as they don't cross trains in the opposite direction for the most part.

On the other hand since we have arrived at the position of trains through Cornwall sometimes being full and standing through the day there might be an argument for additional services to be provided if there were rolling stock to do so.  It is those times when long sections and single line working become the noose around the operator's neck.

• 2 years later...

Great British Railway Journeys TV Programme

RAB is to appear in the current series on Friday 15th January screening at 1830 on BBC2.  Any positive feedback about the "expert" interviewed can be posted here;  anything negative can go to the programme makers telling them to chose better in future!

Enjoy (I Hope!)

pb_devon

see also posting http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101399-kernow-today/?view=findpost&p=1967351

Archived