Is this prototypical

daniel8910

Was just wondering if anyone has ever seen a station layout like the one I have attached; if so could one please mention which station/ year please? thanks in advance ( P.S the question is more directed at the platform section of the layout, the goods yard is merely there to fill space on the plan)

post-18147-0-72922100-1366834641.png

Was just wondering if anyone has ever seen a station layout like the one I have attached; if so could one please mention which station/ year please? thanks in advance ( P.S the question is more directed at the platform section of the layout, the goods yard is merely there to fill space on the plan)

Maidstone East Station in Kent, on the Victoria to Ashford Line, has a centre track arrangement.

If the lines heading "east" and "west" become single "off-stage", it resembles Tavistock South quite closely in the "passenger" track and platform arrangements with a long and a shorter platform and the bay siding vaguely resembles the cattle pen/loading dock as well.

The goods arrangements are completely different being at the "back" rather than the "front", but then you said they are just there to fill space at the moment.

Thanks for the quick replies :) The middle line would act as a through line when both platforms are in use; I like the sound if Tavistock south, and I will research it . The station is going to be a through station, with an overbridge acting as the scenic break, on the right hand side.

Maidstone East Station in Kent, on the Victoria to Ashford Line, has a centre track arrangement.

Attached shows an earlier arrangement that existed at Maidstone East. The middle track was used to allow trains through in both directions when the platforms were occupied. It also provides a run-round facility for both platforms.There was a trailing crossover between the up and down lines just beyond the river bridge to the west (towards London) for movements out of the bay platform, and a short tunnel immediately to the east end of the platforms. The plan does not show the goods sidings that used to exist on both sides of the station, the goods yard proper being on the down side (top of the plan), but it does show the full train length bay platform on the down side. The track has now been further simplified so that the middle track only provides a passing loop to the down platform, with I believe no connection to the up line.

post-15927-0-30503100-1366922288.png

• RMweb Premium

Add Sheffield Victoria to the list - note the traps on the middle road indicating its use as a siding.

The middle line would act as a through line when both platforms are in use;

It can't do that as you've drawn it, since it's connected to the up line at one end and the down line at the other, like a very long trailing crossover . If you want a through road, it needs to be connected to the same running line at both ends.

Wasn't this discussed recently?

Thanks for the replies- Both Crieff and Maidstone appear to be interesting places to model, although I would have to discard the bay platform on the to of the Maidstone plan. Does anyone know how big the Maidstone goods Facilities were in the 50s/60s?

Thanks for the replies- Both Crieff and Maidstone appear to be interesting places to model, although I would have to discard the bay platform on the to of the Maidstone plan. Does anyone know how big the Maidstone goods Facilities were in the 50s/60s?

Attached is Maidstone East Station circa 1910. Note the small loco shed and turntable on the up side, also the wagon turntables in the goods yard. The loco shed and turntable disappeared but I don't think the goods yard had changed much by 1950.

post-15927-0-90209300-1366998638.jpg

thats a good map, cheers :) I have decided today to model a hybrid of maidstone east and west staions- the station and platforms of Maidstone west, but i am including the goods yard of Maidstone East shown towards the bottom of the picture in post 12. Thanks everyone for their great input! :D

Attached is Maidstone East Station circa 1910. Note the small loco shed and turntable on the up side, also the wagon turntables in the goods yard. The loco shed and turntable disappeared but I don't think the goods yard had changed much by 1950.

Out of interest, where does one find these maps?

Out of interest, where does one find these maps?

One good source of maps like the ones in previous posts is http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html. For most locations in the U.K. there is usually a selection of 1:2,500 scale OS maps covering the years approx 1880 to 1970.

This scale of map shows the general track layout fairly clearly but some of "railway" detail may not be entirely correct e.g. pointwork types such as double/single slips and complex crossovers, as this not the primary purpose of the maps.

If Maidstone interests you particularly there are 5 maps available to view, study and capture. Enter Maidstone in the "Search" box and the available maps and their scales will appear on the right side of the screen.

• RMweb Premium

Signalling diagram for Maidstone West here - looks like a good basis for a model.  Note that the centre road is a genuine through line for up trains with the platform served by a loop.

Maidstone East here.  In this case the centre road is a siding connected to the down line at both ends.

Just goes to show how many permutations existed! 

One good source of maps like the ones in previous posts is http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html. For most locations in the U.K. there is usually a selection of 1:2,500 scale OS maps covering the years approx 1880 to 1970.

This scale of map shows the general track layout fairly clearly but some of "railway" detail may not be entirely correct e.g. pointwork types such as double/single slips and complex crossovers, as this not the primary purpose of the maps.

If Maidstone interests you particularly there are 5 maps available to view, study and capture. Enter Maidstone in the "Search" box and the available maps and their scales will appear on the right side of the screen.

Also the SRS web page has a huge collection of archive track diagrams, well worth a visit!

http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/index.html

Archived