The Reely Grate Manufacturing Company

Mike

There is a problem when using any sort of abrasive block in that it can and does scratch the rail surface leaving it open to poor electrical contact due to dirt getting trapped in the tiny scratches. I too used to use a PECO track rubber but have now totally abandoned this in favour of a substance called CoolKleen which I obtained from Squires. This seems to work a treat and does not scratch the rail surface at all. Prior to this I used Wal clipper oil which again does not scratch the rail surface and seems to float off dirt. Just a couple of suggestions!

Hi All,

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed seeing Reely Grate in the Aug GOG Gazette - nice article!

I have a Helmsmann track rubber which seems very fine and I too was told that a light clean with such then a going over with graphite would do the trick - outdoors (connecting loop) will be the real acid test though.

Ramchester seems to work perfectly using Rod's methodology and that would be my preferred option for indoor use.

Of course I could sell off the DCC and go RC - I hope to RC at least two locos.

Keep up the good work a superb Thread on a superb layout.

Kindest,

CME

• Like 1

First a big thank you for the comments, they are very much appreciated. I have just started the missing link, no not the Piltdown Man, but the bit that will link Reely to Primrose Hill. It's a very simple 30" x 18" baseboard which will have a single siding to the Earl of Dudleys muck works and two brooks. I don't know if I should post progress on this thread, Primrose Hill or start a new one. The main focus will be the building/s, Lite ply ordered and an order to placed with Markway for rail, the latter to be collected at Telford, then it's all systems go. ;)

Edited by Mike
  • Like 2

Guest Isambarduk

Mike,  May I suggest that you start a new thread but put a link to it right here and in your thread on Primrose Hill?   David

OK David will start a new thread as soon as there is something more to see than just the bare boards. It will also have to wait until later this month as it's spending time at Telford this weekend then the layout will be at RMweblive 13/14 and at Lichfield on the 20th, so I'm a little bit busy.:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Layout and stock packed, will be loaded later then Ricoh Arena first thing Saturday Morning. Next weekend will be at Lichfield, then on the 2nd October it's a photo shoot along with Primrose Hill. The associated article has been written and submitted so hopefully both layouts will appear in print before too long. If anyone is attending either Exhibition or Cradley in October do say Hi.;)

• Like 1

Just a copy of my post in the RMWeb live topic, A very big thank you to Andy, Warners, Ricoh staff and the Leamington and Warwick club for what was an enjoyable but tiring weekend. A special thank you to Barnaby and Peter220950 and to the many others who allowed me to indulge in another aspect of the hobby, talking. I must however say sorry to anyone who didn't see Reely running. Being single handed it was impossible to operate and be front of house at the same time. The layout was loaded and back home within 40 minutes, then it was a large G&T. a soak in the tub and evening meal( notice the order). ;) Now for Lichfield on the 20th

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Saw the layout on Saturday, so just had to read through the thread. Has really made me think about O... though there were also layouts that made me think about N, so maybe I should stick with OO for now!

Really nice layout, and very informative thread, so sorry for the flood of rating notifications you have got from me!

Will watch the extension with interest, and will try to get permission to go to Lichfield!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos. Reely Grate was at the Trent Valley exhibition on Saturday 20th and suffered an accident. OK. no lasting damage, but the contents of a coffee cup went all aver the traverser. Although this was quickly mopped up, it did cause the wood to swell which meant that the normally free sliding traverser was far from free. By about 15.30(show closed at 16.30)it became just about usable without having to force the tracks into alignment. Moral, if someone wants to see behind the layout don't let them put a cup of coffee on the layout or anywhere near it.SM_carton.gif

Alls well that ends well as they say. Traverser is working with no lasting problems from the coffee spill. I have started a new thread "The missing link or just mucking about"  with the start of the Earl of Dudleys Muck Works that will be on the scenic linking board between Reely Grate and Primrose Hill. I'm using my preferred materials of 2mm Lite-Ply with plastic overlays so I've added a couple of photos in this thread.

post-185-0-42209100-1411983147.jpg

post-185-0-71101900-1411983180.jpg

• Like 7

Today, well this morning, has all been about getting ready for Chris Nevard who will be doing a photo shoot on Thursday of both Reely Grate and Primrose HIll. Article has already been submitted to MR . Looking forward with anticipation and trepidation. ;)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Mike. I've just re-read this thread again. Can you tell me how you fix the plastic overlays to the Lite ply, and where did you get the laser cut factory doors you use on Primrose Hill.

Cheers

Bob 

Edited by Bob110