The Reely Grate Manufacturing Company

Mike

A good day in the workshop- Dettol stripping paint off an 0 gauge coach, fitted my own design auto couplers to coach chassis and sorted my  0-4-0 Peckett which no longer sounds like a spanner in a biscuit tin. Well chuffed.

• Like 3

Electrics wont be done until after my visit to Herzegovina next week visiting friends. I have though rebuilt my mini drill saving about £40 so arguably a good morning at the work bench.;) 

• Like 1

Did I spy RG in print recently?

Just catching up with the Thread.

Kindest,

CME

Well it's in the Guildex Guide and has appeared in the Gazette, it should appear along with Primrose Hill in Model Trains they have had the article and photos for 12 months.

Today has been almost a total disaster when both lighting units fell and broke into several pieces. Suffice to say they have been repaired after much gnashing of teeth and several under the breath expletives. Oh what joys, still it could have been worse so I'm told, now it only remains for me to purchase 2 packs of replacement bulbs and sweep any bits of glass off the floor.  

Well it's in the Guildex Guide and has appeared in the Gazette, it should appear along with Primrose Hill in Model Trains they have had the article and photos for 12 months.

Today has been almost a total disaster when both lighting units fell and broke into several pieces. Suffice to say they have been repaired after much gnashing of teeth and several under the breath expletives. Oh what joys, still it could have been worse so I'm told, now it only remains for me to purchase 2 packs of replacement bulbs and sweep any bits of glass off the floor.  

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations.

Yes I spied it in the Guildex show guide too.

Kindest regards,

CME

• 3 weeks later...

No further damage done and repaired before opening on Sunday. Careless operator (me) :banghead:   drove the loco into the location bolt on the traverser, no damage to the loco but, the arm on the bolt required soldering back in place. The point pull rod I pulled off in a fit of peak after hearing a derogatory remark passed about the back story :ireful:  , rod soon clipped back in place and all was right with the world. ;)

Hello Mike.

It was nice to meet and chat to you at Telford over the weekend so now I can put a real face to the RG image!! Howard and I liked your layout which I think looks even better in the flesh than the excellent pics you usually post.

Nice work.

Rod

No further damage done and repaired before opening on Sunday. Careless operator (me) :banghead:   drove the loco into the location bolt on the traverser, no damage to the loco but, the arm on the bolt required soldering back in place. The point pull rod I pulled off in a fit of peak after hearing a derogatory remark passed about the back story :ireful:  , rod soon clipped back in place and all was right with the world. ;)

Your back story is charming in its "over the top silliness" (and I mean that in the best way possible!).  If someone makes a derogatory remark, then I would suggest that they have a stick so far up their a** that they need a hobby!

• 1 month later...

Peter you should have joined in as he [Mike] probably was talking to me or one of the other posters on here, we then would have been able to put a face to the name and hands that do your building..

Edited by Barnaby

Peter you should have joined in as he [Mike] probably was talking to me or one of the other posters on here, we then would have been able to put a face to the name and hands that do your building..

Agreed Barnaby,

Though if Peter had of walked passed whilst i was talking with Mike, (and i think with yourself also?) he may have been put off by my shaven head/ dodgy beard and ermm....

multi coloured addition`s to my arms!!....but judging from some of the look`s i got, you`d think i was going to bite them!!. :haha:

Brian.

• Like 1

Fascinating part document found on a nail in the outhouse of abandoned  WWII establishment and passed to me by a retired security service member. I hope that by posting this snippet it will not upset those that do not see this as part of railway modelling but it is very much part of the back story and history of Reely Grate.

SECRET U.K. EYES ONLY

Page 36 of 234. Copy number 4

this is reliant in part upon a measurement of pressure which is variable according to weather conditions prevailing and the movement of any weather front in the area of use (approx. 4 to 6 miles or line of sight on land and horizon distance or 15 miles at sea).

9.5.2 The operating principle of the fulminator is A = f(f/t)/p))

Where      A   = fulminator output within working range

f   =  frequency of return of measurement

t   =  a measured time accurate to within

0.5 seconds.

p   =  average pressure in millibars measured over the

time t

9.5.3  Whenever A is between 2 and 2000 a return will be heard on the fulminator output, in practice the return is so weak as to be inaudible if A exceeds 7 or 8 and B exceeds 15. As this is dependent upon p then then the greater p the less the amplitude of the return.

9.6   Special consideration has to be given to use on Submarine service. Pressure on submarines when the vessel is dived exceeds the input parameters, therefore the output becomes unusable; to overcome this the fulminator contains a switched crystal oscillator. (see 40.1.1)  That oscillator provides an input signal independent of pressure measurement.  

9.6.1 When the oscillator unit is switched on the pressure section (see 6.2.8) is disconnected and the oscillator output is fed into the signal mixer section (see 6.8.13 et seq.) in its stead.  

9.6.2 Provided the measured output is within + or – 3% of the calibration level (see 1.2.6) it can be assumed that the fulminator return will be useable for all practical purposes even in the submarine service.

9.6.3 It is important to note that the output when using the oscillator is less accurate and should not be relied upon for long term operational purposes and there is an associated fire risk through overheating. Admiralty Circular 16 recommends no longer than ten minutes use with the oscillator after which time the oscillator

Page 36 of 234 Copy number 4.

SECRET U.K. EYES ONLY

Edited by Mike
  • Like 7