farren’s workbench. Page 15 Going modern well mostly

farren

• RMweb Gold

Well after a slight problem with the wiper pickups I decided to switch to the plunger type unfortunately I bent some of the brake gear so decided to strip the whole chassis back its parts and start again. The motor runs fine but can’t move the chassis with one set of wheels. There’s a slight concern I get a little plumb of smoke from the back right wheel. I’m guessing it’s something burning off maybe oil or something. Has the motor is unaffected and the transformer doesn’t trip. Nothing is touching such as breakgear. But will give it a wash tomorrow and see if that cures it. 

IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2035.jpeg

IMG_2036.jpeg

IMG_2037.jpeg

IMG_2038.jpeg

IMG_2025.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone ever had a faulty set Market wheels before? Erratic motor, running runs for a bit then stops sometimes restarts sometimes have to reset the transformer.

smoke can sometimes be seen  coming off the wheels and sparks on the wheel backs. I have cleaned the wheels with isopropanol alcohol, didn’t work white spirit and even sand paper the back face still happening. Checked the chassis brake rigging all clear of the wheel guards are not touching the track. Have re-wired it all using plastic bodied plunger pick ups swapped the motor out and still is not working. Fitting flat washers behind the wheels, Last option is to get a new set of wheels. 

Edited by farren

1 hour ago, farren said:

Has anyone ever had a faulty set Market wheels before?

Assuming that it is an insulated wheel - remove the suspect wheel and, using a multimeter, check that there is no connection between the tyre and the centre.

It could be that a tiny shard of metal is bridging the insulation.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Assuming that it is an insulated wheel - remove the suspect wheel and, using a multimeter, check that there is no connection between the tyre and the centre.

It could be that a tiny shard of metal is bridging the insulation.

CJI.

Thank you, I think you are right I’ve down some of the wheels again this time I dug out the mini drill with the  wire brush and went to town on a couple of the wheels and it seems to have worked the locomotive is running much better needs a good running in session. And the brake gear needs a little adjustment now but it works. Think it needs some weight adding has it’s a little over 3,1/2 ounces has it stands 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I’ve got a little tired of steam and I’m currently doing some diesel modelling for the time being. I’ve had an itch for a while that’s seemed to be growing. Has much as I’ve enjoyed building the steam locomotives I’ve not had the urge to run them. However I’ve seen some lovely modern day layouts topics on this site and I think I’ve turned to the dark side. I’ve had a few 1st generation diesels ever since I got back into the hobby, but have since bought a couple of the centraltrains 170s which I’ve fitted LEDs lights also bought a Bachmann 70 which I have to admit is a splendid model. Some Accurascale 37s and a 66 on order.

What’s is the idea for the layout? unsure I think I’m just going to relax and enjoy running the models more. Though living in Leicester a layout based on Leicester L.I.P. Sound intriguing it’s never going to be an exact replica due to space but an excellent excuse run pretty much anything. For that to happen need to get in touch with Hattons to offload some stock now surplus to requirement first. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thought I’d dip my toe in some modern modelling, ok the class 43 might be nearly as old has me. But it’s not steam. Managed to pick up some old Lima HST, I’ve gone for two power cars and have fitted LED lights and 8pin dcc sockets. Coaches will be added to the HST as time permits. I know the Hornby one might be better but where’s the fun in that. 

I’ve been weathering a pair of FNA-D wagons witch are loving models along with a  37 

also picked up a cheap fright liner class 57, which I bought a new body as the original was a little tired and misused I was going to stick it in the the parts box, but I thought I’d have a try at painting a modern diesel, not finished but i have surprised myself. And the colour is pretty close to DRS. so a new chassis might be calling for but will wait till it’s all finished. 

IMG_2350.jpeg

IMG_2349.jpeg

IMG_2345.jpeg

IMG_2380.jpeg

IMG_2381.jpeg

IMG_2338.jpeg

IMG_2337.jpeg

• Like 2

• farren changed the title to farren’s workbench. Page 15 Going modern well mostly