farren’s workbench. Page 15 Going modern well mostly

farren

• RMweb Gold

Moving on I am building a rebuilt jubilee. Just happen to have a spare jubilee no tendr and a Hornby rebuilt Royal Scot body.

swapping the jubilees boiler with the scots the idea. With the boiler comes the frist challenge. Which wheel splashers do I keep.

And if I'm right I keep the Hornby smoke box saddle.

post-12485-0-89384600-1484322514.jpg

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With a bit of chopping the boiler sits better but the front sits high due to ridges along the jubilee. To cue that I need to look at some photos of the rebuilds. To double check what saddle to use and if the ridges/ top of the loco frames "I think"

post-12485-0-47255000-1484327699.jpg

post-12485-0-72785000-1484327728.jpg

post-12485-0-77933800-1484327787.jpg

post-12485-0-30759200-1484327822.jpg

post-12485-0-10015600-1484328095_thumb.jpg

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

Looking at it closely with splasher don't line up. So the Hornby splasher have to go.

Hi Farren,

Will be interested to see how this one goes as a similar method is on my list.

I did read something about the Bachmann Jubilee wheelbase being incorrect, so the splashers used depend on the chassis that you use.

I was planning to use a Comet chassis so the Hornby splashers from the replacement boiler will fit. If you use the Bachmann chassis, then the Bachmann splashers will work. If that makes sense. I haven't got a Bachmann chassis to check mind you.

Will try to dig up more info on that.

Best wishes,

Iain

• RMweb Gold

Hi Iain I will be using the Bachmann chassis seems easier. Plus I like the Bachmann wheels better. The Hornby chassis wont go to waste. Thats for British Legion again (hangs head in shame) which is next. I do have the the books for Jubilees along with Scot's so will do some measurements at some point just for curiosity.

Ohh and I blame you and your excellent topic. For this slight case of madness. Ie chopping 4 good models up only to end up with two plus lots of bits!

Edited by farren

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

One pipe to fit which runs under the main footplate and vanishes under the cab. The new tender is wringing it's way from Bachmann as I write. So just needs painting and renumbering naming. Some photos one as she stands tonight and a couple for comparison with a pat and jub. Not the best shorts I admit. But collage work is calling

post-12485-0-61219800-1486403340.jpg

post-12485-0-03563600-1486403362.jpg

post-12485-0-05175700-1486403380.jpg

• Like 2

I'm enjoying this as always, Farren. It looks as if the final result will be excellent. It's a lot better to start with a decent Jubilee and graft a 2A boiler onto it, than to try what I did and gold plate a plastic spoon in the form of the old Bachmann rebuilt Jub. I didn't complete it, and I will follow your lead with this one I think.

Keep us posted.

All the best.

Iain

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Iain, I did like what you had done with yours. But if your not happy then this method might suit you better. And in some ways it seems easier. Though when putting a knife to a perfectly good model considering the cost for both if new is just a little disconcerting. But I'm am pleased with the way it's gone.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been quite of late and needed somthing to build. Did I finish of the Jubilee of course not that was far too sensible I did look at the 1/2 dozen LMS Piii kits but decided on this instead.

post-12485-0-15085900-1530189237_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The princess is looking great Farren. Just a quick question regarding your Rebuilt Jubilee, how did you get the firebox to fit on to the Bachmann running plate? Was it simply cutting the firebox to fit the splashes or was it something else?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Horsetan I used the template that came with the Mr Edge's kit. Worked very well.

Brocp the Bachmann foot plate is left untouched as it's metal and I didn't want to mess that up. So most of the cutting is to the Hornby body removal of the wheel splashers etc. Then remodel the body with plastic card and filler to hide the holes as the splasher are not in the same place. I will check later but I think I glued the body together. I had planned to weather the loco to blend the two different greens. However I am pleased with the tender lining on the Princess so I well strip the lining of the Jubilee and repaint and line the whole thing.

• RMweb Gold

Slowly getting there boiler needs finishing next. I'm not sure about the blue one the roof. But have seen models like it. Currently going through the books to see if I can find an answer to if it should have blue on one the ends or be all black.

post-12485-0-26382700-1530559872_thumb.jpg

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

The jubilee was finished a while ago apart from naming and numbering but was put away needing a tender. A couple of weeks ago one came up on eBay finally, so got the loco out it needs a dust, and seem to have put the name plates away for safety. The tender is a flush sided and I’ve only seen phenix with a flush sided tender (well it looks flush to me). But once together it dose show promise. 

with the early crest I think I’ll have to remove the AWS tank

C3F002BD-B01D-48DC-B2D7-8022BB711747.jpeg

2560A181-3A18-4B9B-B592-45588C58A33F.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Phoenix all finish and running kept company with a long and short firebox jubilees. Plus did a bit off weathering on a couple of 9fs frist time I’ve done it with a airbrush quite pleased with the results 

BE455927-2487-4A33-B6D7-EE60D59F943E.jpeg

B2BCC533-659A-4461-9604-64EF54E70E0B.jpeg

AC5C7B9A-A5EE-4EF0-B198-9F9E9FEB3E8B.jpeg

• Like 3