Difference between 0n30 and 0-16.5 narow gauge ?

Mac

I'm thinking about modelling an Industial narrow gauge layout and reckon 7mm scale is my best bet(bad eyesight).

However: I'm not sure as to the differences (if any) between British 0-16.5 and American 0n30 ?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mac

US outline On30 is well supported with ready-to-run, UK outline relies on kits and suitable OO chassis. The Bachmann US stuff can be adapted for 0-16.5 but it can be hard to hide the American outline, and the slightly but noticeable under-size cabs. 

Continental Oe is similar (1:45 scale I think), there is/used to be some support with the Fleischmann "Magic Train", toys really but easily detailed.

The biggest question is what sort of layout you want to build: UK, US or continental outline?

Bachmann 0n30 locos can be Anglicised if you prefer a British 0-16.5 layout. This has the advantage of using ready to play locos that have good chassis and motors and in some cases DCC and sound. The only ones I have had problems with have been the Shay, which had a well known gear splitting problem. Have a look at Henmore Dale for some inspiration.

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4973-henmore-dale-locomotives/

Archived