Class 37/0 or 37/3 with black central headcode panel

mjkerr

I am struggling to find photos of any Scottish based locos, not in Large Logo Blue, with black central headcode panels, which would allow me to repaint 37174 but without having to repaint the nose ends, for the period 1985 to 1996

I have no problems finding suitable candidates in Large Logo Blue, typically Inverness based 37/0
Equally, I can find suitable candidates for the other sub-classes
However, for later liveries I can't find any

As an alternative I will consider any locos that visited Scotland, even briefly...

I can't find any Motherwell or Inverness based examples, which are not in Large Logo Blue with such a central black headcode panel (painted or glass)

37145 in BR Blue is not suitable as the 37174 body has a sealed beam headlight
37183 is also unsuitable in BR Blue (as above) and in Large Logo Blue the headlight is in the wrong position (as is typical for most Scottish based locos around this period), and thereafter it became 37884

To clarify the nose end :
http://www.c37lg.co.uk/imagepage.aspx?strnumber=mb37174_2 
http://www.ehattons.com/images/products/371-469_1047233_Qty1_1.jpg

Don't forget 183 retained buffer beam skirts until conversion to 884.

37370 was in Railfreight with Black Heacode panels while based at Motherwell for cement traffic - would require the red band painting on the nose end.

37144 was an Eastfield Loco in BR blue with Black headcode panels but not sure when it gained a headlight. The certainly weren't many.

37370 was in Railfreight with Black Heacode panels while based at Motherwell for cement traffic - would require the red band painting on the nose end.

Yes, 37370 is one I considered some time ago, but every photo is rather poor! (Instead I chose 37379)

Painting the red stripe around the end is not an issue

A little more searching and I have now found five photos which should be sufficient for Millfields to complete the repaint (as they prefer four for accuracy)

Many thanks

37314, Dalzell, Banger Blue Sept '86, ML 

37192, Banger Blue, mid '85, ED

37190, Banger Blue, Mid '85, ED

37190, Railfreight Metals, Early '88, ML

Cant remember about 37152/37310,  37156/37311,  37137/37312

As has been said earlier these will all have bicycle headlights/highland headlights.

I have copies of photos of these I think they came from www.jmcp.fotopic.net who had the best set of FMGM 37 photos anywhere, but that site doesnt seem to have survived post fotopic

Rgds

Mark

37314, Dalzell, Banger Blue Sept '86, ML 

37192, Banger Blue, mid '85, ED

37190, Banger Blue, Mid '85, ED

37190, Railfreight Metals, Early '88, ML

Yes, I would consider BR Blue with Large Logo numbers (as allocated to ML) as this was quite unique, although I am not aware of one actually visiting Glasgow Queen Street

Not suitable as it has a Scottish headlamp, not a sealed beam headlamp

Not suitable, same as above

37190 in BR Blue (as I am not currently considering 37/0 in Large Logo Blue)

37190 in Triple Grey Metal

Not suitable, sadly when allocated to ML it retained its Scottish headlamp and had its sealed beam headlight fitted just over one year after transfer away

It made a brief return the following year but as a source of spares

As an aside, it left Doncaster Works with full yellow nose ends, but returned to service at ML with black headcode boxes

Yes, I would consider BR Blue with Large Logo numbers (as allocated to ML) as this was quite unique, although I am not aware of one actually visiting Glasgow Queen Street

Not suitable, sadly when allocated to ML it retained its Scottish headlamp and had its sealed beam headlight fitted just over one year after transfer away

As an aside, it left Doncaster Works with full yellow nose ends, but returned to service at ML with black headcode boxes

By 'banger blue' westie7 means 'corporate blue' all over with small numbers, not revised blue (large logo)

I've modelled 37190 myself in blue, but it had yellow headcode.

Yeah I did mean all BR Blue not LL. Also did mention in my post that they all would all have had  - Highland headlights/Bicycle Headlights what ever you want to call these Car Spares mounted on a lamp bracket.

Ive only actually seen these done a handful of times in OO, it would be brave to try in N. When I finally get round to "Fixing" the front of my 37027's I will just file flush and fill the sealed beam headlight

I assumed it was the BR Blue or later BR Blue with Large Logo Numbers, as that is how Mothwerwell depot (ML) applied the numbers
As far as I am aware those were the only type of numbers that were applied to 37314
I would consider either of these liveries, if a sealed beam headlight was fitted matching the base model of 37174 in EWS livery

I have actually found a few other locos with black headcode boxes, but they are Cardiff based and very unlikely to have visited Scotland
Ironically I have found other former Scottish locos that then had sealed beam headlights fitted, but once reallocated they probably never returned to Scotland again

I do plan to have one or two of the earlier BR Blue without a headlamp or the high-nose headlamp (as conversion is possible in N gauge) but have not yet acquired the required models for these

• 5 weeks later...

The headlamp is the same, the difference is the mounting. And they are not sealed beams, as you can remove the 12v 55w lamp, a sealed beam you can't.

Al Taylor 

• RMweb Gold

37144 was an Eastfield Loco in BR blue with Black headcode panels but not sure when it gained a headlight. The certainly weren't many.

Didn't 144 gain the headlight when she was RETB fitted for the East Suffolk line after her transfer to the proper region?

Andi

Archived