Oxenhope 4mm

RichardEyre

In a change of pace for me, I'm going to be building a model of a real location, namely Oxenhope on the Keighly & Worth Valley Railway. I've attempted an adaption of this station before but wasn't really satisfied with it. Therefore this time, I'm sticking as close to the prototype as space (8'6" by 2'6") will allow. The main difference will be the addition of a 90 degree bend in order to fit a fiddle yard, and a shortening of the 3 sheds.

Here's a shot of the station throat, some of which will be beyond the scenic break.  

post-10563-0-62391600-1367135261.jpg

And a plan of the layout

post-10563-0-05581400-1367135015_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking. All comments and questions are appreciated!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good news! The wiring is complete!

post-10563-0-52744400-1381136667_thumb.jpg

The details:

Point control is by NCE Switch-8, control via NCE PowerCab. This is wired separately to the main layout and front fiddle yard road, which will serve as a programming track.

I could have used 2 4-way accessory decoders but they're more expensive than the 8-way. Since I already had the 25-way D-subs in stock I've used those for cross-board connection. 

And a shot from the more usual side of the board:

post-10563-0-09633500-1381136628_thumb.jpg

Hi Richard,

I think I can join the "love Oxenhope" club, when I was a teenager I to liked the idea of a model of Oxenhope.

I hope this goes well for you and I will be watching with interest.

Ian

This maybe of interest...Bradford Model Railway Club have built an O gauge model of Oxenhope back in the day!

They have a very good website... Ironically my dad is the webmaster!

http://www.bradfordmrc.org.uk/

http://www.bradfordmrc.org.uk/Oxenhope_details.html

Let me know if you need any more pics or info, I would be happy to help or someone at the club will have the info you require I am sure.

This maybe of interest...Bradford Model Railway Club have built an O gauge model of Oxenhope back in the day!

I've actually seen the website and the even layout in the flesh before. Some nice modelling but not a huge amount of help to me since it's changed so much since that period. There's also a 3mm version, again modelled pre-closure with just 2 sidings. The carriage sidings, exhibition shed and goods shed extension are all post preservation additions. 

Happily (and not entirely by accident) I have a very accurate and 100% up-to-date reference to work from about an hour's drive away. :)

Unfortunately that's why a lot of people frown upon modeling preservation. People use it as an excuse to run anything and it's not.

A midland 3f has no place here in the same way a freightliner 66 has no place on a br era layout.

However, I say that rule 1 applies whether it's preserved or not.

And here's an incredibly poor photo of the (fake) trap point at the end of the platform I've added this afternoon.

post-10563-0-41712500-1381696673_thumb.jpg

The point rodding has also been amended from its previous state after yesterday's visit to the line highlighted some significant shortcomings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

A quick post to say that this layout is not dead, it's just been sleeping while life got in the way. 

Work has been done on the hillside, as well as blocking up the holes in the baseboard. These 3 photos show some general shots with mk1 station and goods sheds, as well as some carriages, placed. 

post-10563-0-98320500-1410721028_thumb.jpg

post-10563-0-36995100-1410721030_thumb.jpg

post-10563-0-66549600-1410721031_thumb.jpg

And a big thanks to Matthew (pictured) and everyone at KWVR for letting me have a behind the scenes look around to get detail shots

post-10563-0-36945500-1410721937_thumb.jpg

Archived