North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

CONTINUING DEVELOPMENT OF THE CREEK LINE IN CONWY

These series of photos shows the development on the creek line to the south of Conwy with the hill next to the line taking shape.

post-15340-0-35557200-1368096277.jpg

post-15340-0-92026800-1368096326.jpg

post-15340-0-05927600-1368096371.jpg

post-15340-0-09367400-1368096414.jpg

This photo shows the paper pattern I made prior to cutting the ply. I draped it over the wooden and foam supports, drew the relevant shape and used it to exactly cut the correct ply shape. I have used this technique for all the ply shapes on the layout so far given the complexity of each piece.

post-15340-0-63058900-1368096438.jpg

I hope to finish the base for this section by the end of the week end.

I have also enclosed a fraction of my magazine data base. The subject of this small section is scenery. If any one wants a copy .

Type Article Mag Year Month Page No Comment

Adhesives MRC 72 Jul 260

Ads SR BRI OO Oct 40

AEC majestic Truck MRC 78 Jun 319

Air brushing BRM 1O Aug 56 *******

Air vent Tunnels OO RM O7 Jul 487 *

Airfields RM 84 Jan 20

Ash Pit Horn 12 Feb 42 ***

Ash Pits OO RM 90 Jan 33

Ash plant BRM O9 May 70 ****

Ashpit BRI 94 Dec 128

Ashpit Plan BRI 94 Apr 385

Axeminster Water Tower RM O3 Sep 558

Back Scene Painting I RM 95 Jan 6

Back Scene Painting I RM 97 Jan 28

Back Scenes RM O9 Apr 260 **

Back Scenes MRC 81 Sep 607

Backscenes BRM O9 Mar 62 **

Backsecne Painting MRJ 93 65 219

Bakery OO RM O1 May 216

Balasting MR O7 Apr 37 **

Balasting West Coast MR O7 Mar 41 **

Ballast RM O3 May 286 *****

Ballast Application RM O7 Aug 548 ****

Ballast Geoscenics BRM O8 Sep 88

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 2

On my last entry I meant to indicate that if anyone wants a copy of the whole of the data base, which is formatted as an excel spread sheet please contact me. The modelling database includes the following topics with entries listed alphabetically by subject - scenery, DCC, kit building, Fictional Layouts, base boards, layout techniques, loco reviews and others.

The prototype data base has over 1,500 layout and prototype stations listed.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Wow, this is a quite a project, love to see this develop. 

Only one problem with the background, it's not raining !!!! (the old joke if you can't see Conwy mountain it's raining etc.)

Great work

Chris g

DEVELOPMENT OF THE CONWY BACK SCENE AND THE HORIZONTAL SURFACES AND SEA WALLS FOR THE LLANDUDNO GOODS AREA

I have included a few photos of the reworked rainbow over the far bank of the river Conwy and the Llandudno goods storage area which has been clad with horizontal surfaces and ply forming the base for the sea walls.

I am interested in comments as to whether the attached rainbow or the one above looks more effective.

attachicon.gifIMG_4858V2.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4857V2.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4859V2.jpg

I think this rainbow looks more effective. One thing that might help and isn't always appreciated is that the sky within the arc of the rainbow usually appears somewhat brighter than that outside. I also think the clouds should become a more continuous layer as they recede into the distance (Unless they have just passed overhed of course). You are looking at them more side-on then rather than up from below when they are closer to overhead.  One thing I do see a lot of here in Norfolk, England, is Sky!  The back scene really does look superb, I wish I could paint like that, but you did ask for comments.

Adrian

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments. We have had difficulty painting heavily clouded area. The second to last photo n page 1 is the best attempt and that was after at least seven attempts at painting the whole of the panel. We tried spay paints and a whole variety of techniques but the best effort is that in the current storm panel.

I have spent some of today taking advice on the cheapest means of acquiring large numbers of mineral and planked goods wagons. Given the size of the layout I shall eventually require a few hundred. I shall have to slowly accumulate to recreate my part of Welsh history.

Next reply I may reveal the whole of the layout. Penmaenmawr is nearly completed, but Bangor needs more work for the town plan, although the track layout is completed.

I am interested in all comments and criticisms.

Regards,

Anthony

I have previously indicated that I have created a data base of subject areas for magazines in excel. It includes approx. 1,440 magazines covering a large selection of mags. Anyone who wants a copy of it is welcome.

Regards,

Anthony

• RMweb Gold

Anthony,

You might find you get more response for your database offer if you create a separate thread.

As for your layout, I'm just amazed at the size of what you are undertaking. From the pictures so far you seem to be well on the way to creating at least the basic scenery contours -this looks like being one of those epic layouts.

Stu

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

What an amazing project Anthony.

Its a spectacular stretch of coastline and railway, and it looks like you are doing a terrific job with it.

All the best, Dave.T

BRIDGING THE GAP

One of the tasks required for the layout is to bridge the gap across the River Conwy. This is spanned by the Tubular bridge shown below and in the model is approx. 8750mm (nearly one yard).

I have hunted for dimensions of the tubes comprising bridge, but not found any to date. If any has this information I would love to hear form you.

The other issue is what to make the span from. My plan was to use 3mm thick aluminium U channel with a base of 30mm and sides of 20mm. I can join the track in the middle and therefore power the 2 pieces of track off the bridge. The 2 pictures below show the aerial view the prototype and my model with a steel ruler across the span.

post-15340-0-17850700-1368314101.jpg

post-15340-0-18217200-1368314551.jpg

Does anyone have a better idea for the span to provide the required structural support.

Regards,

Anthony

• Like 2

LAYOUT PLAN OF THE WELSH DRAGON RAILWAY

There has been a comment that the scale of the proposed layout may make it difficult for those reading the thread to understand my intentions without providing the full plan. Accordingly I shall provide a copy now.

The stations starting with the one at the top of the layout and moving in a clock wise direction are Conwy, Penmaenmawr  and Bangor. They are all located on the north Welsh coast main line between Chester and Holyhead. The layout is 35 feet by 16 feet and is in N gauge There are two turn tabletables which are 8 feet long each and comprise 18 track proposed at this stage. The are on the lower level.  There are 2 transition points from the scenic area of the layout to the hidden or lower track area and both are hidden in tunnels. The first is on the right of the layout above Bangor. The second is on the left of the layout just below Conwy station.

I shall now explain the operation of the layout as it is a little complicated.

The operation of the trains is as follows. A train may commence a morning run leaving from the turntable at the bottom of the layout (ie Chester)Those leaving from the bottom turntable will enter the first transition area and appear on the scenic area below Conwy. The train will enter Conwy . From there it enters the second transition area and continues on the hidden track, completing a loop around the whole layout on that hidden track. There are 2 reasons for this . The first is to ensure that a train comprised of up to 16 passenger coaches does not get split between the Conwy section and the Penmaenmawr track areas as this would not be prototype correct. The second reason is that for the prototype the  actual travel time between Conwy and Penmaenmawr is about the time taken to cover the loop.

Once the train has completed the “layout loop” it will travel through the first transition point and arrive arrive back at the second transition (all hidden running).  It then appears on the scenic area at the top of the Penmenmawr scenic area, arriving at Penmaenmawr.      

From Penmaenmawr it will travel on past the Pen-y-clip viaduct. The mountain towering above the viaduct will be approx 1.2 metres above base bard height and finish 2 inches from the shed ceiling.

The train then continues into Bangor. From Bangor the train will enter the first transition point and enter the  hidden track moving around the top of the layout. It continues through the second transition point on the left of the layout and enters the small loop on the layouts left. I have decided to create a giant helix stacking either 2 or three levels on top of each other using this loop position. The giant helix will be constructed by using the rod and nut technique.  The rods shall be suspended from the scenic support boards, but rebated to sufficient depth to be hidden from the scenic area. This will allow continued access underneath the “loop helixes”.  The advantage of creating two giant helixes on the left and right of the layout is that it allows the turntables to be sufficiently low to allow easy access to all track. The maximum track gradient is 1:100 . The minimum radius on the scenic area is 30inches and approx 22 inches on the hidden track.

Once the train has completed the “loop helix” it enters the turntable on the left and completes the morning run.

Similarly trains may commence the days operation from the left turntable (Holyhead), travelling via the hidden track at the top of the layout to Bangor. Trains may also depart from Bangor itself for the morning run. The reverse operation of that explained above would apply to these trains, finishing on the bottom turntable ready for the following evening night run.

Once the morning/afternoon run is complete the turntables can be turned and trains depart for their night runs using the reverse operation.

I hope that this explanation is understood. If any questions arise please reply and I shall respond.  As this is my first layout I have sought assistance from local railway modellers in the planning and execution of the layout. Any constructive comments from readers of this plan would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

post-15340-0-66656700-1368535066_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-37324100-1368535082_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-72876300-1368535101_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-44910000-1368535131_thumb.jpg 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Unbelieveable... :O  

Oh, to have that kind of resource in terms of space, time, modelling ability etc. etc...

I salute you on a most thorough plan of what is already an epic project and settle back for the ride... :sungum:

Regards

David

• Like 3

SPAN FOR 875 ML RAIL BRIDGE

I asked above  if anyone had any ideas for the best means of spanning the gap above. It is the tubular bridge and spans 875ml. No reply so far . Has anyone any ideas. My plan is 3 ml aluminium. What do you think L shaped girder with plasticard cladding.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

SPAN FOR 875 ML RAIL BRIDGE

I asked above if anyone had any ideas for the best means of spanning the gap above. It is the tubular bridge and spans 875ml. No reply so far . Has anyone any ideas. My plan is 3 ml aluminium. What do you think L shaped girder with plasticard cladding.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Might be good to post a separate thread/query in the modelling help section for this; lots of experienced structural modelling people in that area! Edited by Grafarman

• RMweb Gold

This page, about Telford's Menai Bridge, includes a picture of a cross section of the tube. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Bridge

It also states that the current Conwy bridge has had strengthening piers added.

Maybe a construction method similar to the actual one will give the required strength. Are you planning to have the top (or parts of the top) removeable for access ?

Double or triple glazed roof sheeting might give you a solid enough base, once it's been supported with either aluminium or plastic side walls.

http://blog.angelplastics.co.uk/index.php/polycarbonate-corrugated-plastic-roof-sheets/

Stu

Stu and Grafaman,

Thanks for the info. I have had trouble getting detailed plans for the bridge and will go to the recommended site. I planned to use L shaped aluminium of 3 ml thickness clad with plasticard. I was going to make the roof removable. I think this should work as the 3 ml L shape is very strong and given the gauge id N there is little weight to carry, but am looking for all good ideas.

I shall see how the responses go on this site before posting another. I would prefer to consolidate the info on one site.

Once again thankyou for your responses.

Regards,

Anthony

Awsome Looks great. I'll be starting my baseboards for Penmaenbach shortly

I have just put the finishing touches to the Signal Box and accquired all the track

Really impressed with the backscene !!

Mike,

I look forward to seeing some pictures. Layout development has been a little slow as I have fond some data on the exact train rakes for the era being modelled and have been working on the timetable for the summer of 1960 or 1961. There are many passenger trains which covered my route over a 24 hr period, but I now have the data to work out a weekly schedule for passenger movement. Am still looking for freight.

Regards,

Anthony

Simply Awesome.

Having grown up here in north wales, i always thought these stations might make a good set of models. If done covering a period that had lots more traffic than now, all the freights gone :-(

You seem to be getting along nicely. This book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Historical-Chester-Holyhead-Railway-Track-Illustrations/dp/B001MWNG74 is very useful for full track diagrams and signaling information.

I haven't found anything concrete about traffic during the 1950's-60s but the 70s this sight seems good http://www.2d53.co.uk/links.htm One thing i do know is, tales from grandparents, The port of Holyhead exported\imported massive amounts of livestock to and from Ireland, mostly cattle. Hope that helps

Welsh_Rob

• Like 1

Welsh Rob,

I had a quick look at the reference on line. I have a copy of this and have largely based my track plan on it. I agree it contains a wealth of information. Thank you for the response as all information is useful as I continue to expand my reference pool.

Regards,

Anthony

• RMweb Gold

This is one of my father's photos I scanned recently, I think from the early 60s. It shows that there was an extra pedestrian suspension bridge between the road and rail bridges. No idea when it was removed.

post-6902-0-08879500-1368911444_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to following this thread

Thanks

Dave

• Like 4