North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

Ian,

I hope things are going well for you.

The post above is another effort to embed a You Tube video, but still no success. I am copying the http address while the video is running on You Tube and then pasting this into the RM post, but all I am getting is the link back to You tube. The other option I tried was to right click on the video running on You Tube and then click embed video after I right clicked. When I paste this into the RM Web post I just get the code but not the video.

There is obviously an easy way to do this but I have not found it.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Dear All,

In particular Kevin. Thanks for the link. I was advised by Andy that the problem was the outlook browser I was using. I have changed to chrome and the same thing I tried with outlook but failed are now working. Thanks for the help. The above video is a copy of the link, but I have it down now and will practice my video technique in between point automation! 

Regards,

Anthony

success!!.. glad its working, such things can be so frustrating!

By the way, im a silent follower of this thread since the beginnings, and must say i`m quite in awe of the scope of the project, and the quiet determination and craftsmanship you display in "getting the job done"

Inspiring!

regards,

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for the encouragement. As I said in an earlier post, I have taken on a very large challenge, but I have said for the last 12 months I believe the layout will take up to 15 years. I therefore think that my expectations are realistic. It took about 3 hours to sort out the video embed and the only issue was the incorrect vehicle to post it ie using google instead of chrome.

The carpentry is something I have been doing since 16 at school so I have been comfortable in that environment. The wiring and electronics is very new and has taken some assistance and practice but I am getting better at them. Scenery making has been a part of my wargaming for 40 years, although not to the same level or detail apart from the hand painted 15 mm Napoleonic figures.

Thank you again for the comments.

My next challenge is how to automate the double slip ie matching the movements required of the servos to the plan and where the points actually have to point.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley

WELSH DRAGON RAIL -  LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Dear All,

A very successful evening with Ross coming around to assist. We managed to wire up and fully install the first double slip on the layout. The train controller now switches it and the frogs are electrified depending on the point setting. I was unsure how difficult it was going to be but we managed reasonably easily. I have a last point in the Conwy area just next to the Tubular bridge to automate using a servo and then electrify the frog with a lever switch. This will be completed tomorrow. Then I move onto the points on the lower side of the tubular bridges.   

Unfortunately there is little to see by way of photos or videos with this type of work.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 1

WELSH DRAGON RAIL - LAYOUT NDEVELOPMENTS

Dear All,

I have finished automating the Conwy section of the layout and hence electrofied the frogs for each point. Accordingly I can run rakes at a more realistic speed. I have taken 3 more videos as shown below.

Class 55 Deltic, somewhat outside it normal operating region, taking a holiday train along the North Welsh coast back to Chester in 1963.

Royal Scot passenger rake, just having passed through Conwy station and on its way to Conwy tubular bridge to Llandudno.

Royal Scot with a passenger rake on the way ton Bangor through Conwy. The rake can be seen passing the Llandudno goods area next to the river Conwy. It then passes through the Conwy tubular bridge before moving through the Conwy goods area. In the back ground is the Conwy medieval town wall.

All replies are welcome. I think my technique is improving but I shall refine further.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

WELSH DRAGON RAIL - LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Dear All,

I have been overseas with work for a couple of weeks so no progress on the layout recently. Was hoping to get to England to buy some rail match or Phoenix paints but no opportunity.

I have a few days off so once recovered form the jet lag will get some modelling completed during my long weekend. 

Regards.

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a productive week end, although not very visually exciting. I will therefore not post any pictures as there is really nothing to show in photos.

I have tested the main controller on the Conwy scenic area and it works. I shall do a video of a train operating under the ECoS train controller next week. There is obviously more realistic acceleration and deceleration by using the DCC system. I have also connected and tested the first booster, which powers the 1st level of the hidden track. I have yet to run a loco using this power source but there is power to the track so it should be fine.

I have nearly finished connecting all of the hidden track sub bus lines to the main bus running off the 1st booster. I still need to finish installing a switch for each sub district. These will allow me to isolate the sub districts to fault find. There 5 sub districts in the Conwy power and about 9 sub districts in the hidden track 1st booster power district. Each sub district has its own switch. The wiring diagrams previously posted show what I am talking about.

The wiring is not spectacular in terms of visible achievement but is the fundamental basis for the running of the layout and so time spent getting it right is well spent.

I still have a number of points to either automate or set up for manual switching with wire and tube. I have run out of cradles for the servos so will focus on other jobs for now.

I have also prepared the next sub track base support, using 2 sheets of 4 ml ply crossed over each other for additional strength. I have to cut this to size for the first 2/3 of the Bangor station track area.

No shortage of jobs, but will get a day off this week so should achieve much this week.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 4

Dear All,

To those who added ratings above thanks very much. I have spent the evening connecting up the switches for the hidden track. I finished soldering connected up everything, turned on the power and tried to run a loco on the hidden track and nothing happened. 20 minutes later after checking voltages I realised I had one of the switches off. Once I turned it on the loco ran very well. I now have all of the hidden track functional and all of the scenic track laid to date apart from the Llandudno goods area operating. There is still a little more wiring for this area.

Once I have finished the Llandudno goods area and tidied up again I will do a video of the hidden track operating and an explanatory video of how I will develop the existing sections of the layout.

Thankyou all for your encouragement.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 1

Dear All,

Finished the Llandudno goods area wiring on the far bank of the river and have connected and tested all of the laid track using the main controller with my first of 6 boosters. So far so good as everything is working.

Need to electrify the 3 decoders I have connected to servos. Once I tidy up I shall do a explanatory video of the layout with proposed developments. Will also do a video of the Blue Deltic running off the main controller.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• RMweb Gold

WELSH DRAGON RAIL - LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS-

Dear All,

Video summarising my developments to date.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Excellent video, thanks for that. The narrative was very helpful. Really looking forward to seeing this develop.

Scotty

P.S. What did you make of the ABs v Wallabies last weekend?!

Excellent video, thanks for that. The narrative was very helpful. Really looking forward to seeing this develop.

Scotty

P.S. What did you make of the ABs v Wallabies last weekend?!

Things are coming along very well! Our computer system unfortunately prevented me from enjoying the videos during lunch. I will try again on the weekend.

Regards Anthony V

Dear Scotty and Anthony,

Thanks for the comments. I don't think the Wallabies have played as a strong team for about 10 years. I think we have been in a rebuilding phase for many years! Certainly we have not been good enough to beat the ABs for some time. Anthony I hope you enjoyed the videos this weekend.

I have downloaded a video showing the extent of the hidden track development to date, minus the work done on the left side dog bone.

I expect to be laying track in the Bangor station by the end of the week end. 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 4

Dear David and all,

Thanks for the encouragement. I have done a sold 12 hours today and finished the vertical supports for the fist Bangor section. This has permitted me to place the main tack support section for a substantial portion of the goods and platform areas. The photos are below. They were taken on our smaller second camera as the main one is away.

Main Bangor station area. The bus is in the left fore ground to show the scale of the board. The rises to the left and right of the station area are the hills surrounding Bangor. The hidden loop and the dog bone hidden track will go underneath the left hand line of hills. You can see the castle off in the distance which is Conwy.

post-15340-0-16348800-1409485419.jpg

View from the left side of the Bangor board.

post-15340-0-73687500-1409484796.jpg

View from the end of the main Bangor board. The bus is on a piece of wood at the far end of the picture

post-15340-0-93011200-1409485421.jpg

post-15340-0-86410900-1409484800.jpg

post-15340-0-39245700-1409484803.jpg

post-15340-0-55179300-1409485424.jpg

post-15340-0-96926900-1409484804.jpg

post-15340-0-89901900-1409485426.jpg

Need to add another small track support board on the left side looking up the Bangor board. Need to paint the supports and the base board and will then lay some track. on this board.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 4

Anthony,

Loving the progress to date but I have a question as I have just looked at your plans and I think you seem to have it that Bangor has been turned 180 degrees, so that the up trains will be arriving in the down platforms and the down trains will be arriving in the up platforms.

Bangor Tunnel (Where the tracks pass over a bridge) was closet to Conwy and Belmont tunnel (Small Wagon Works building) was closest to Holyhead. Having had a look at the full plan on page 2 I think I am correct in what I have said but I will go back and double check to make sure I am not causing undue issues.

Cheers

David

Dear David,

Thanks for the comment. To some extent you are right, but the layout should not have rakes running from Bangor to the top of the layout directly to Conwy. To clarify a train in the right bottom side fiddle yard looking up the layout to Conwy will appear on the scenic level in the tunnel area to the north or above Bangor. It will travel out of the tunnel appearing on the main line next to the Landudno goods area on the. side of the river opposite Conwy, heading north or up the board to Conwy. It will proceed to Conwy and then Penmaenmawr, finally arriving at Bangor. Remember Conwy and Penmaenmawr are connected on the Holyhead Chester line. Bangor is some stations down the line, but I shall have scenic dividers and a tunnel between Penmaenmawr and Bangor. As the train leaves Bangor it enters the tunnel above Bangor but diverts off the main line entering the hidden tack going around the top of the layout, conducting 3 dog bone loops on the left side of the board eventually stopping in the left fiddle yard. The loco then uses the run around loop around the yard and re connects to the front of the train.

A rake leaving from the left fiddle yard will travel around the top of the layout on the hidden track and enter the tunnel using the hidden track above Bangor. It enters the scenic track going down the layout. It will appear in Bangor as the first station and then proceed to Penmaenmawr and then Conwy. It then proceeds over the river Conwy and enters the tunnel to the north or above Bangor. From there it diverts off the scenic line in the tunnel and enters the hidden track, conducting 3 loops of the right dog bone and finishes in the right fiddle yard. Again the loco will use the traverses and the run around loop or move to the now front of the rake heading out of the fiddle yard. In summary the left fiddle yard is Holyhead and the right fiddle yard is Chester. Just to clarify the two fiddle yards are each 32 tracks wide and should be big enough to allow the storage of all rakes for the return journey. The down side is the cost of placing location detection on these 64 locations. As well as the others for the layout. I have calculated a need for 13-14 16 zone detection modules using DCC4Pc modules. Post 323 provides a copy of the scenic and hidden track plans. A quick look at that post should assist in clarifying the concepts.

So there should be no direct connection between Conwy and Bangor. The top end of Bangor is the Holyhead end and the bottom end is the Chester end. At the bottom end of the layout I shall model part of the mountain next to Penmaemawr (not the Conwy end).

I hope this explains the layout in it general operation. If any questions please provide any other questions.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley

Dear David,

Did the above explanation clarify things for you?

My mother in law has finished the scenic divider between Conwy and Bangor, so expect to get it tomorrow. Photos will follow. I have been away on a weeks holiday, but have the next 3 days for some solid modelling. Will be able to get on with track for the main Bangor station area. It will be challenging but should look spectacular.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Hi Anthony

With some reading and going back to the plans it does indeed make sense to me now. The overall project is coming on superbly :)

Very much looking forward to you developing Bangor main station and then the associated buildings and yards

Cheers

David