North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

WELSH DRAGON RAIL - LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Dear All,

Exciting developments but no pictures as I have been focussed on wiring. I have had DCC running through all of the hidden track all of the way to the bottom Bangor board. This is about 56 feet of rail.

I still have about 16 frog points and diamond crossings to electrify so the loco won't yet run through the points properly, but once these have been electrified it should all run properly. I think the 16 points will take some time to set up as they need to be automated using servos and decoders. I have had a friend , Stephen, prepare some templates out of 1 ml aluminium sheet which has been bent into shape to hold the servos. I have a large sheet and can produce them for less that 10 cents each. Once the servos are set up to switch the points I then need to set up the lever miro switches and wire them up to the terminal strips and the relevant frog. The most difficult part of the servo setting is setting up the wire in the exact position and servos to produce exactly the correct amount of swing to move the point switching lever.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 1

WELSH DRAGON RAIL LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Dear All,

Some photos showing the servo mounts discussed above. We priced having them made using a 3D printer and it was going to cost about $6 per mount, 10 cents seems rather cheap by comparison!!!

post-15340-0-51845800-1415871545_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-78500700-1415871553_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-61787000-1415871561_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-34742300-1415871566_thumb.jpg

regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 3

Dear David,

I have counted 86 individual terraced dwellings around Bangor station that lie within my scenic area. These will be modelled by 31 individual buildings. Of these I have completed 1. The one completed is the pictures on an earlier post with the building having a brown and then grey brick strip at the base of the houses. Only 30 of these Bangor terrace houses to go!! There are many more terrace houses in Penmaenmawr and Conwy.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Hi Anthony

Drop me a line if you need any photos of the former LNWR houses overlooking Bangor Station. I used to work for the local authority when we spent millions bringing the houses up to an acceptable standard in the early 1990's. The houses haven't changed much externally since they were built so if you need any photos I live about 10 minutes away.

Regards

Dave

Dear All,

Photos of my first 2 buildings together in Conwy.

A google street scene of the buildings I have modelled with some licence!!

post-15340-0-28204200-1416719760_thumb.jpg

My models of the first 2 buildings in the street. The chinese shop is now the "Castle Bakery"

post-15340-0-94055400-1416719805_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-04062800-1416719819_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-74548400-1416719834_thumb.jpg

All comments are welcome.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 6

Dear All,

Dear Dave thanks for the offer. If there are specific photos I need I will contact you. It is really useful to have a local contact who can just pop into an area and photograph something you are not sure of. I have asked a really helpful  fellow in Conwy to do this a couple of times with the castle. Thankyou again for the offer. Have completed the next 3 points by automating them and wiring up the frogs with lever switches. The next is also on the way. I think I am getting slightly quicker at them. Occasionally you will get one which just won't sit properly and that can take a couple of hours of fiddling around. Hopefully the next 8 will be done in less than a day.

regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley

Dear All,

Some real progress on construction. Ross and I have been struggling for about 3 nights to get the lift up section operational but with no success. We attempted to locate each drawer runner separately on the 4 respective boards. These runners are located in each corner of the frame and provide the guidance on lifting the frame.  It was too difficult to place each of the 8 components, ie 4 main slide assemblies and the 4 inside runners accurately enough for them all to line up. We ended up taking it apart 3 times. Finally we decided to treat it like a giant drawer. To do this  we tipped it on one side, created a frame work to hold the sides straight and in the correct position and then attached the runners while they were together, having attached all of the sliding inserts first, and then progressively sliding the "drawer" out and securing the housing section of the slides progressively from the bottom. We had to release the "drawer" section to pull it out far enough to complete all of the screwing of the housing section of the runners. It worked though and the photos are below. The photos therefore are our finished effort after about 20 hours of work on it!

Section in the operating position

post-15340-0-44031200-1417255205.jpg

Section in the open position

post-15340-0-64280000-1417255224.jpg

The counter weight system in the open position. There are 4 buckets, one on each corner with 8 kg of weights. This makes lifting easy, but the amount of friction means the current board load will remain in any position it is placed.

post-15340-0-10123800-1417255231.jpg

The runners shown in the fully extended position. The top sections for each set were secured first to the lifting section as described above. 

post-15340-0-60525500-1417255240.jpg

post-15340-0-89091800-1417255247.jpg

One of the counter weight buckets. Simple effective and cheap. Originally I could not think of a way to use the counter weight system, until I thought of placing the runners on large marine  ply sheets, therefore allowing me to tie off the cable to the bottom of the sheet and creating the lower point at least 900 mls lower than the top of the frame (the runners are 900 mls long and can each carry 127 kg).

post-15340-0-26820600-1417255257.jpg

The cable threaded through the ply sheet going up to the pulley.

post-15340-0-25769100-1417255284.jpg

I might need to put some more bracing on the frame work but will put down track first and see how and where I can fit additional bracing.

The next board already built past the lifting section is the Penmaenmawr military air museum.. It is not particularly well known but has an extensive range of WWII bombers and fighters and WW1 aircraft. It is very surprising how it has escaped public attention for so long!!

Regards,

Anthony Ashley   

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Anthony.

If I might iust offer you one suggestion about your lifting section? Have you thought of using sash wieghts instead of buckets they will take up much less room and be a tad more eligant. They flog them on fleebay but I bet you could get them from your nearest scrappie or reclame building suppiers cheaper. Just a thought do with it as you will ^_^

Regards Lez.Z.

Or indeed, now you know the weight you need, getting some steel bar cut to length, and a ring welded on, if sash weights are less plentiful than machine shops in your locale!

Density of steel is 7.8 g per cm3. 50mm diameter bar is a standard size, you would need a piece 52 cm long to weigh 8kgs, if you were to get 75mm bar you would need pieces 23cm long.

I strongly suggest you get some standard plastic drainpipe, and fit it over the weights, so if the string breaks, your toe can't be on the receiving end of the weight (always presuming you don't wear safety boots when modelling!). Sash weight cord is made specifically to run over pulleys, but from the photos it looks like you're using braided cord anyway.

The more I think about your lifting section, the more I like it. I've only ever seen "hinged" before, but your "guillotine" solution is rather elegant

HTH

Simon

The next board already built past the lifting section is the Penmaenmawr military air museum.. It is not particularly well known but has an extensive range of WWII bombers and fighters and WW1 aircraft. It is very surprising how it has escaped public attention for so long!!

Regards,

Anthony Ashley   

One of the first museums that I visited when on Holiday in North Wales, but then I'm a WWII buff !  Personally I think it's great that it has escaped public attention, but for the museum it would likely be better if it was well known.

BTW, discovered this thread a while back, and I must say I'm very impressed with what you are building. Astonishing! Especially the Conway Castle section. Maybe I should rethink my own layout plans...

Just catching up - seems an age ago that I was over doing the last Bangor Board with you but it wasn't!  Fantastic progress.  Hopefully I'll be able to garner a leave pass to come and see before Christmas.

Cheers

Kevin

Hi Anthony.

If I might iust offer you one suggestion about your lifting section? Have you thought of using sash wieghts instead of buckets they will take up much less room and be a tad more eligant. They flog them on fleebay but I bet you could get them from your nearest scrappie or reclame building suppiers cheaper. Just a thought do with it as you will ^_^

Regards Lez.Z.

Dear Lez and Simond,

Thanks for the suggestions it is really appreciated. Simonds suggestion is very attractive and one I shall explore. The only issue is that I only have about 400 mls in length as the counter weight will hit the floor if longer. I will see what I can find as the suggestions will improve the look and hang better. This would also look better.  

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Edited by Anthony Ashley

One of the first museums that I visited when on Holiday in North Wales, but then I'm a WWII buff !  Personally I think it's great that it has escaped public attention, but for the museum it would likely be better if it was well known.

BTW, discovered this thread a while back, and I must say I'm very impressed with what you are building. Astonishing! Especially the Conway Castle section. Maybe I should rethink my own layout plans...

Dear Train and Armour,

Your comments are most welcome. I think my museum might only have planes approx 150 mls long. Nothing like creating your own piece of history!!!  

Thanks for the interest in the thread.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 1

Just catching up - seems an age ago that I was over doing the last Bangor Board with you but it wasn't!  Fantastic progress.  Hopefully I'll be able to garner a leave pass to come and see before Christmas.

Cheers

Kevin

Dear Kevin,

Look forward to seeing you. Work has at last eased off.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Dear All,

I have added a locking mechanism either side of the lifting section on the operational side. They are sliding window bolts and very sturdy with little movement.

I have also completed the next 6 foot section of board on the Penmaenmawr side of the layout. Horizontal and vertical supports to go for the Penmaenmawr new sections. Photos below

post-15340-0-03491900-1417955206_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-98588400-1417955214_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-17992400-1417955223_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-04024100-1417955234_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All,

I have been focussing on completing the lift up section which has taken a long time to accurately cut the required boards. I have nearly finished. Photos are below.

The two hidden sets of tracks. The bottom one will travel down to one of the 2 32 track fiddle yards at the end of the layout. The upper one connects to the scenic track and then splits again for the scenic track to complete a hidden loop around the layout. 

post-15340-0-92650300-1419383422_thumb.jpg

The other end of the 2 hidden track sections.

post-15340-0-04243300-1419383432_thumb.jpg

Overview of the hidden track sections.

post-15340-0-08136100-1419383439_thumb.jpg

The scenic board area. Conwy station is represented by the piece of paper in a scale drawing. 

post-15340-0-32169200-1419383451_thumb.jpg

The scenic base board is designed to lock into the static base board. 

post-15340-0-67189000-1419383461_thumb.jpg

I have screwed supports under the static base boards to ensure the lifting and static boards lock together 

post-15340-0-28636800-1419383468_thumb.jpg

The edges of the lifting base board have been bevelled to ensure a tight fit at the top of the board.o

post-15340-0-72130000-1419383477_thumb.jpg

I next need to cut the track support board on the aircraft museum base board to lock the end into the lifting section. Hopefully to finish today

All comments and replies are welcome.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 2

Dear Simon and PJ,

Thanks for the Christmas wishes. I hope you and all RM Web users had a great Christmas and were amply rewarded with some exciting model rail bits and pieces. Santa is still sending mine all the way from the UK via Hattons including City of Birmingham, City of Coventry and in the near future City of London. There is also the Blue Peter and 4 4Fs for release in the near future!

I would like to take the opportunity to thank all the readers who have contributed to the thread. Al comments have been really valuable and incorporated in to my future planning. In particular the following persons have helped me in my endeavours and I would like to acknowledge their contributions:

Simon, Dave, Stu, David, Artizen, PGH, Merf, CC, Ian, Peter, Scotty, Lez, Kevin, PJ, Ben, Christian, Sam, Mike and 37038. I have enjoyed reading each of your contributions.

I would also like to publically acknowledge Ross Jeffcoat who has provided assistance by coming to my place and modelling with me on most Fri nights. His presence has inspired me to "get on" and try to finish the current project for the next Fri night. Thanks very much for the help.

I hope everyone has a successful new year and I look forward to further modelling developments in 2015!!!

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley