North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

Hi Anthony,

It is coming along nicely. Well done.

Are you planning to have your layout be on the BRMA Brisbane Convention layout tour next year?

It would be great to see it with trains running. I think it will be about 18 months away.

Thanks

Rodney

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Rodney,

Thanks for the post. 

I expect I shall have some trains running in the next 6 months around the scenic area. I would certainly be keen to sow the layout at the convention.I am progressing with Penmaenmawr wiring quite nicely. Today was about 33 degrees and a little hot in the shed. I manged to get some done regardless. Tomorrow will be only 28 so rather more comfortable. Once Penmaenmaw ris completed I will focus on the Bangor platform area rather than the goods yard at Bangor, as this will complete the scenic oval. I am reviewing my plans for wire and tube points in all the goods areas, as having connected the Penmaenmawr goods yards I know realise how complicated it is with the number of points just in that area. 

I have someone coming on Wed this week to discuss options. I would at least need an electronic mimic board for each goods yard situated at the relevant station. I am not sure how to do that with with a manual lever frame, which was my current plan. Any advice on how to connect a mimic board when using wire and tube with a manual lever frame to change the points?

Look forward to any ideas.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Friendly/supportive 1

You need some form of detection to “tell” the mimic which way the points (and signals) are.   

That could be microswitches switches driven off the linkage, or reed switches detecting magnets fixed to the linkages, or optical switches detecting some kind of shade which moves with the lever, linkage or blades.

In simplest terms, you’d have one side of every switch connected to ground, and you would bring the wire from the common of the switch to the mimic to a low state if the road is set one way (or “clear”) and you’d let it be high if the other.  you don’t normally need to apply a voltage to make it go “high”.  

Arduinos, for example, have a function “input pull-up” which holds input pins in the high state (around 5V) if they are not connected to ground via an external device, if they are, it drops to around zero volts, and the Arduino registers an input.

hth

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Dear All,

It has been a long week in the shed wiring up the Penmaenmawr area. I only have about 26 wires left to connect up the whole of the area to the terminal strip stage. Wiring to the main power lines from the switches should be simple and quick, given they are on the outside of the layout area. I hope to have all of the wiring completed to the switch stage by the end of tomorrow. Once I get this done it is much easier to retest all of the track work using the ESU ECoS train controller. 

Once I am using the ECoS I can connect up the frogs for the points and work on the switches. I am using ESU decoders to control the switches and the ECoS to throw the switches. 

Simon,

Your comments on the yard issue are right on point. Having looked at what I did 5 years ago with the Conwy points I have used the wire and tube, I shall connect to a lever frame. As with my electronic points I have set up a switch near each manual point for frog p[olarity. The MODRATEC system allows you to connect a clutch to the wire which facilitates the throw of the switch polarity. I can use that switch to also connect to a electronic unit from MERG. This will take 8 inputs from 8 separate frogs. One wire then connects this electronic board to another MERG board which will turn on and off LEDs on a mimic board. The second electronic board can handle up to 16 switches. For Conwy I need 12 I think. 24 for Penmaenmawr and I believe 32 for Bangor. I shall need to check my figures. I got some advice from the local MERG expert.  He is going to do a demo of 2 points and a small mimic board and the required electronic components. I shall have some pictures once I the demo display. Such a mimic board should be great in providing the info for decent operation of the layout.

I might take some photos of the forest of wires I have created. There are quire a few!!.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 6

Dear All,

Made good progress over the last day or so, having completed the wiring and testing up to the power switches for northern end of the Penmaenmawr area. I still need to create the switch board for the Penmaenmawr scenic area, but that is also underway. I have the 8 switches and just have to drill holes in the board and insert them. Pictures of my wiring efforts are below. Not very exciting but very time consuming!!

I have 6 posts with similar wiring ion them as I move down the layout. The wires coming from the bottom of the terminal strips are the outputs to the power bearers.

IMG_5682V2.jpg.7d34d033db288168f34efa4ea75790c4.jpg

The wiring will have a board over the top of them with a hanging curtain covering the wiring.

IMG_5683V2.jpg.e64765adca532ddcf5cf17cba6f68a54.jpg

This is the section of the track that has been fully wired and tested and is now ready for operation!!!

IMG_5685V2.jpg.3a7d57448c20cf6e30b44cba865572b3.jpg 

Photo shows the track area now completed for wiring 

346336784_Pennorthernwiring.jpg.68c5b0d78ab6b347a0bed35d2dad6209.jpg

Today I shall lay the power bearer lines for the bottom half of Penmaenmawr, Wire up the terminal strips to those bearers ans install the switch board. This should keep me out of trouble. 

I have not left home for a .week or so now with CONVID 19 government restrictions and my susceptability to chest infections.  I hope you are all safe and taking adequate precautions as the news from the UK is not very good.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Anthony,

you keep yourself well!

currently working from home, along with the rest of the family, kids home from university, we’re all crammed in, but we’re doing fine.  Even a bit of modelling, from time to time!

all the best

Simon

• Thanks 1

Simon,

Glad to hear from you and that you are coping with the change in living conditions. I believe that i am fortunate with a large house ans outside shed that I can disappear to! 

I have now completed laying and testing all of the Penmaenmawr wiring, including the creation of the switch board, for the 8 sectors within the power booster zone. The area covered is below in a picture. Each square is a foot.

991347799_PenfinalwiringRMWeb.jpg.cca960a9cd61957e0a89a05d6101f403.jpg

It has taken a fair while to complete this task. I now need to work out exactly where all of the power boosters will go, and where to put the ECOSLink terminal. This will facilitate another 4 power boosters in addition to the 3 that can be added to the train controller. I will also need some additional cabling to connect at least 2 of the boosters. The ECOSLink terminal  comes with a cable that is only .9 metres long so I shall need a 7 metre cable for that as well. 

Prior to laying the track at the foot of the mountain I need to complete the mountain area above it. I have laid more scree today and done some more rock painting. The area under the road viaduct will need to be landscaped and the rail viaduct completed. I should be able to add vegetation over the next few days. This should really lift the area scenically. More photos to follow as I add more scenic detail. 

Jamie I hope you are OK with the virus going around?

Regards,

Anthony Ashley       

• Like 7

Dear All,

A quiet few days in the shed. I have made progress on the area under the Road viaduct. Photos are below. One slip with a blunt knife caused damage to a finger but I shall survive!!

Two of the seven bays under the Rail viaduct with foam cut and placed. I have just glued down the foam insert and expect to be able to slide the viaduct forward to release it. That will enable me to tidy up the foam in place covering any gaps and to add the scree and vegetation required. I certainly hope the viaduct will slide forward.

I used a few online photos to match the areas under the viaduct.

IMG_5686V2.jpg.4c2ac3db16c13bda524c6069dac78177.jpg

Close up of another bay. 

IMG_5687V2.jpg.999a526f5a23142f46ad5492b9a59feb.jpg

Preferred method for using gorilla glue is using lots of weight as the glue expands. It is really sticky for gluing foam.

IMG_5690V2.jpg.86c50ec2fa0f6c34e678af1c157b5e00.jpg

The bay in the for ground has yet to be trimmed. Perhaps a new sharp blade for tomorrow to reduce the risk of slipping and therefore injury.  

IMG_5691V2.jpg.8c9a7a22e3af8eb4046aa9b647e9687d.jpg

The main rock face with a rocky area comkpleted above it

IMG_5693V2.jpg.8b4f9de5f365d058e4819f8a194a3c06.jpg

IMG_5694V2.jpg.feba8d0af3831092b3f1df1736ebecee.jpg

Over view of the area The yellow pieces of foam on hte road are the pieces to fit behind the pylons.

IMG_5698.JPG.d4d6d73e8e856d9c4d9cb433b598cba5.JPG

Tomorrow I shall try to extract the viaduct and then paint, scree and vegetate the foam inserts. After that I need to vegetate the the rest of the mountain.

I hope everyone is staying well in these uncertain times. Good modelling!!

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Lez, Scott and John,

I appreciate the positive feed back, thank you as it is very encouraging. A disaster occurred last night when I picked up something near my laptop and it touched a cord which moved a glass which spilled half the content of water over my laptop. Rather unlucky sequence of events. The laptop was working when I went to bed but now refuses to switch on. I hope that perhaps tomorrow it may dry out enough to switch on again. I get rid of all the water I could but it may mean a new lap top. I need the lap top to take out to the shed to match photos for my scenery.

I managed to convince my wife to help with the scenery so it was fun to have her sharing "shed time."  

We have done a small section with various grades of scatter and foliage. I am happy with the result to date. A lot more to be done tomorrow.  Some of the photos I took showed the white glue still to dry but there are a few wher ethe glue is largely hidden so at least a couple to whet the appetite for more to come!

I am really happy with this shot as the tripod and a long exposure makes a big difference. I have not done this sort of scenery before but it seems to have come out very well. Fortunately the area I have chosen is the exception with quite a deal of vegetation. Most of the mountain is scree and rock. The piece of foam on the left side of the photo is to a fix a stone wall. 

IMG_5712V2.jpg.fe01bcbc6b82d41ec064e3644a2332bf.jpg

A slightly more elevated shot. I need to add more vegetation in the right side of the picture. The minor lower track is very overgrown. 

IMG_5716V2.jpg.402bbbcccad85b37b0f472062a42ffd3.jpg

More vegetation tomorrow. I have a query. Has anyone used hair spray as a glue  to fix in place the last fine scatter I have added to the bushes to blend them in. I think hair spay, if it sticks the fine particles, would be a finer means and less intrusive that misted PVA glue. I would really appreciate any comments on this if you have any ideas. I have yet to finish sealing the vegetation, although the heavier stuff was fixed with aquadere.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Simond said:

Anthony, 

Tony Hill, author of various books on scenery, is an old pal.  He swears by hairspray.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simply-Scenery-Insight-Landscape-Modelling/dp/1871608368

hth

Simon

Tony is a great guy. Haven't seen him for years. Please pass on my good wishes - he won't know me as St Enodoc but as John, ex-Brighton MRC.

• Thanks 1

Dear Simon and John,

Thankyou for your hair spray comments. I have a container from about 5 years ago and am using it liberally. The other section of the mountain in the vicinity of the track has been done. Fortunately most of the mountain does not have as much vegetation on it.  Photos are below:

IMG_5724V2.jpg.0c8ec0f8afe1308c3dde0c63a5d06f87.jpg

IMG_5726V2.jpg.bbb7df9c1a17c55088c5a29f25caaff7.jpg

IMG_5727V2.jpg.a028929249d52412aadd6ab7d6b9a7f1.jpg

I need to check my picture to see if there is more vegetation on the foreground

IMG_5729V2.jpg.988760da7e613913f402e7723f2047eb.jpg

I have added a  couple of walls, which are fairly hard to see in the photo see below.

IMG_5732V2.jpg.71da5fac546c93fd4500533e9c278fc6.jpg

Some more vegetation. I am also painting our family room so need to complete it tomorrow.

Once I have finished this section I will focus on the rail viaduct. 

Happy modelling in this time of restrictions.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley    

IMG_5731V2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Love the lighting and shadows in those shots Anthony - the strong directional light feels like those moments (of which there are many in Wales, even if they don't last long) where the sun breaks through the clouds in the late afternoon and throws all the terrain into sharp relief. Together with the vegetation it has captured the windswept mountainside effectively. I assume you're using some form of LED-based floodlight?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Ellenette is a favoured brand of hairspray for modeling here. Mainly coz it's dirt cheap and it holds really well. The mountain and viaduct are outstanding Anthony.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dear Edd, Lez and Simon,

I am not sure I agree with you on your choice of hair spray. For me the real deal is Taft "Schwartz kopf". Not sure if that is the correct spelling but it is good German. I bought the can 5 years ago for about $2 great value for money!!! I have asked all of the ladies in my house if they have heard of Ellenette but no one has. It must be a particularly British thing!

I have filled in more vegetation on the mountain. It is a little bit like filling in a canvas as you paint in the detail.  Again I think it looks good and I am happy with the outcome.  I have experimented with my grass applicator and am really happy with the light yellow tufts next to the wall in some of the photos below. Sarah and I are experimenting with producing flowers. We have produced goods looking tufts and need to let them dry and add the flowers tomorrow.

Photos are below:

IMG_5733V2.jpg.c3efe8dbbaf47f65f4620d77d395dcb5.jpg

IMG_5738V2.jpg.dca730a6ce65aff0622801871d5ed301.jpg

IMG_5739V2.jpg.4b22a7d0f71d9226319fd527147b5503.jpg

IMG_5741V2.jpg.5720bb444aa5a4070a845322158dde14.jpg

IMG_5740V2.jpg.679ca2357df381b799308e1b5a2eb0c2.jpg

I shall add a few more photos in another post.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Dear All, 

See the post above for more photos as both posts were added at the same time. A few more photos.

Most of the roads still require stone walls and plaster to create the tarmac.

IMG_5741V2.jpg.b150b415206a7af3f3d0c68c2a435920.jpg

IMG_5743V2.jpg.8ab7455936a9bcaf972481894445f842.jpg

IMG_5744V2.jpg.fbeb86cfb19afa0c1120477c5d112327.jpg

IMG_5747V2.jpg.ab784b8b281aece6ea02a2a586a1b7ed.jpg

IMG_5749V2.jpg.41adae1fa9ee0539171ee5fb41066629.jpg

I have added more scree to the area shown above the rock face in the photos above. I have also added more paper mache further around the corner in a really hard area to reach. One layer down and about 9 more to go. There is still more area further around the corner to scree as the next activity. I get a sense of achievement in doing the scree as you cover a really large area fairly quickly.  

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3