North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

Sorry John,

I did not see your post over the page. The material is Knauf Multi use Foam Board. I used to get it from Bunnings but it is no longer stocked. I rang Knauf directly and they no longer manufacture it. Looks like we need to look at alternatives. I have 2 sheets left!!!

The other word for it is extruded polyurethane, I think.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Anthony Ashley said:

Sorry John,

I did not see your post over the page. The material is Knauf Multi use Foam Board. I used to get it from Bunnings but it is no longer stocked. I rang Knauf directly and they no longer manufacture it. Looks like we need to look at alternatives. I have 2 sheets left!!!

The other word for it is extruded polyurethane, I think.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley 

Thanks. I'm finding the same problem, which is why I asked. I want XPS (extruded polystyrene, not the white bobbly expanded stuff. After being absent for a while, a blue version is back on Bunnings' list, so I might get a few sheets before it disappears again.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bastion-1200-x-600-x-50mm-xps-multi-use-foam-board_p0461084

I would normally add the time-honoured disclaimer "other retailers are available" but, in this case, it seems that they aren't!

John,

I looked at the blue material from Bunnings but it is much less dense that the yellow Knauf board. It is no wherenear as good, but have a look and see what you think. It is really unfortunate that Knauf are no longer making the board.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

John,

Looked again on line. Redbak do a sheet called thermal gold which looks the same. Only issue is that they are in North Geelong. A long way from Sydney and either further from Brisbane. Have not found a Brisbane or Sydney supplier yet but will let you know if I find one.

Getting back to the modelling, I fitted the last storage yard board last night 505mlX1,220ml. It fitted like a glove and neatly fits the gap!! I am going to get Ross to help level off all of this new work with is long electronic level this week and then on with the storage yards track work.  

Regards,

Anthony Ashley   

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks. I'm finding the same problem, which is why I asked. I want XPS (extruded polystyrene, not the white bobbly expanded stuff. After being absent for a while, a blue version is back on Bunnings' list, so I might get a few sheets before it disappears again.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bastion-1200-x-600-x-50mm-xps-multi-use-foam-board_p0461084

I would normally add the time-honoured disclaimer "other retailers are available" but, in this case, it seems that they aren't!

In the UK I obtained sheets of XPS from an underfloor heating supplier, where it is commonly used as insulation.

No idea if XPS is used for that purpose in Oz?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

In the UK I obtained sheets of XPS from an underfloor heating supplier, where it is commonly used as insulation.

No idea if XPS is used for that purpose in Oz?

It is, although not for underfloor heating - but I've only found it sold industrial quantities! Half-a-dozen 8' x 4' sheets isn't a practicable order size.

As Anthony says, the Bunnings product is not of the same quality but good enough for model railway scenery - and I can get quite a few 4' x 2' sheets in the back of my car.

Edited by St Enodoc
clarification
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

John,

Sorry I misinformed you the other day. The other material I saw at Bunnings a few years ago was green and not dense enough. Went to Bunnings and looked at the blue XPS by Bastion. It is almost exactly the same as the Knauf board. I think the blue stuff is good and have bought some to supplement my dwindling yellow material.

Have a few photos of the storage yard boards. Both are about 21 feet or about 7 metres long. 
View of the "Chester" storage yard

IMG_6629V2.jpg.40681720d95c563b64ebe7e101aac7f0.jpg

View of the Holyhead yard

IMG_6632V2.jpg.1ad47441e91088334ea9a33d0f25dcbf.jpg

IMG_6633V2.jpg.3bc2202a58619bd152db1e4a5fe2741b.jpg

We need to level off these yards and then start laying track.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Regards,

Anthony Ashley   

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Anthony Ashley said:

The other material I saw at Bunnings a few years ago was green and not dense enough.

Yes, the North Shore club had some of that and came to the same conclusion.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

John,

I am happy Bunnings have raised the quality of the XPS from the green stuff. I used the green to create my castle floor but would not use it for hills or mountains. 

Ross and I spent today working on levelling both storage yards. This required adding a few more support rods and supporting braces under the boards.  Thanks to Ross for his ongoing support and assistance. He has an large electronic leveller which indicates on the read out how much the end of the level needs to be raised or lowered to get a flat area. Minimum measurement is in mls. I think it was 2.4 m in length. We were happy when we got a reading of 1ml over the length of the level. If so this works out at a maximum gradient of about a 0.3%. This should be fine for the yards. 

Next is to prepare the many points I need to incorporate into the layout and then lay the track. No need to alter the uni frog points but I have many older stock as well which will need to be cut and wired across 2 rails. 

Have had a great discussion with Lez over a photo posted by Jamie  (7APT7). This photo by him showed a very dilapidated trackside building beyond the Pen-y-clip viaduct. Unfortunately this photo has been lost to the site on server transfer. At the time of posting I looked at the photo posted on 23 Feb 20 at page 38. I thought I would go back to it on modelling the building, but as I said it has been lost. I have tried to contact Jamie without success. Lez and I have agreed that we think it was probably the smallest LNWR stone loco shed possible with some internal wood framing. The roof from memory was also wood. Given the photo was taken in 2020 the structure was to say the least very dilapidated.  I only remember the floor having stone and with some very rusty rails evident. I think I shall create a  shabby stone building 30 mls by 70 mls with a poor wooden roof. If anyone can remember any other details from this photo which will assist please add a comment. Thanks to Lez for assisting in this process. 

Regards, 

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Anthony Ashley said:

We were happy when we got a reading of 1ml over the length of the level. If so this works out at a maximum gradient of about a 0.3%

Ten times better than that! 1 in 2400 is about 0.04%. I don't think your trains will roll away on that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw this image on Reddit's UK trains board today, and thought of this layout. Admittedly it's a modern image and of a very very small (relatively speaking!) corner of what you're modelling, but I also know that all modellers can take something out of any image, no matter how obscure, so I hope it's of some use and interest.

• Thanks 1

Ed,

Thanks very much for the photo. All photos  add to the quality of the layout, as you never know what additional gem is hidden in the detail. Thanks again as I appreciate your contribution to the process.

Regards, 

Anthony Ashley

• Friendly/supportive 1