North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

WELSH DARGON RAIL - LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Ian if you attend thye next meeting it is at my place. Hopefully see you then.

I have been busy on the week end although ther eis not much to see. It has taken me 2 days to set up the first two hiden points for auto operatoin and frog polarity switching. The next 2 points I finishe din the one evening. I am getting quickedr and can at least now program the servo decoders as required. Eac aspect of the layout has to be learnt and so a first time activity is always slow. 4 aotomatic points down and about another 100 to go, although only 3 more are ready for aotomation as yet! 

Once these 3 additional points have been automated I shall secure the cork on the right side of the layout, secure the track and start wiring up that section. Given I have already wired up Conwy it shoudl be quicker thatn the first effort. I have also painted a large sectoin of se wall in front of the Conwy goods area. Photos to follow.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley  

I start chemo this week Anthony so I might have to pass on the meeting. We will see.

I don't envy you doing 100 points with decoders and wiring in N scale and then hiding them under the layout!

WELSH DRAGON RAIL - LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Dear Ian,

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances. I wish you all the best over the next few months. I look forward to catching up when we can.

I have posted photos below of the wall in front of the Conwy goods area and the castle.

post-15340-0-79849400-1403685576_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-05066500-1403685560_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-80696500-1403685563_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-96823100-1403685584_thumb.jpg

I am having trouble reprogramming the Switch Pilot Servos to match the track layout. Having done the first 4 successfully with wiring and frog polarity I shall move onto securing the cork on the Bangor section and then wiring. I have assistance coming on Saturday to sort out the programming issue. I bought a large amount of B Queen, used to do the round stone wall features, and Pro Cast used for the flatter surfaces. It was reduced by 25% so a big saving.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 6

Dear LNWR,

I beleive the construction of such a layout for a remote locatoin is only possible now because of the internet. Access to 100s of photos and even more importantly the ability to get in touch with people in the local area has been the means for generating most of the material I have been able to acquire. Merv who lives in Penmaenmawr and has a large hand in the local historical society, and Geoff, who runs the Llandudno 6G web site ( highly recommended), have gone out of their way to be of assistance and this has meant a fairly close representation of the prototype. Geoff has even made a trip to Conwy to photograph various aspects of Conwy castle on which I was not clear on. Stu and others have also assisted with soem great photos. The advent of digital cameras has also meant that photos can be sent over the email system at no cost. Use of Google mapping and Google earth has facilitated a very accurate map of the street plan. Google street view even allows the fronts of all buildings to be examined and modelled in very accurate detail, as lomg as they have not changed in the intervening years.I expect little in terms of street layout has changed in Conwy, Penmaenmawr or Bangor since the 1960s, although I know a very large and grand hotel in Penmaenmawr sitting on the top of a hill has been replaced by 5 or 6 houses. I shall get to model the hotel! This is cearly the age to create a prototype for any where in the world, as long as those in the area have some internet access and there are sufficient photos on the web.

I look forward to nay other observations or conversatoins on this topic. Are others recreating a place which they do not live and how did you gain enough material to model your location? Internet research ahs been a very interesting part of building the layout. Each discovery is like finding a nother piece of the puzzle.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

WELSH DRAGON RAIL - LAYOUT DEVELOPMENT

Dear All,

My mother in law has come over to complete further work on the scenic divider. Photos of before and after her new work. In addition all of the decoders are now programmed for installation of the remaining points ready to go. Photos below.

Prior divider

post-15340-0-06584900-1403955788_thumb.jpg

New work using brush for the hills and plains

post-15340-0-29221600-1403955877_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-63977800-1403955885_thumb.jpg

I shall continue to stick down the cork and begin to wire up the new track area.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 6

Dear All,

I have done a little on the layout with all the cork cut and secured for the current area being worked on. I have also primed the cork ready for the top coat. This is a job for tomorrow to let the primer properly dry. After that I can wire up the new area.

Photos below.

The sweep around the Llandudno goods area down to Bangor on the layout but on the Prototype to Llandudno.

post-15340-0-49752800-1404211953.jpg

post-15340-0-55374800-1404211959_thumb.jpg

A view from the other end of the layout to the north of Bangor

post-15340-0-14130800-1404211969.jpg

Complicated point work at the Llandudno goods area before that area I have created2 passing loops for the up and down lines as shown near the tunnel mouth.

post-15340-0-60190300-1404211973.jpg

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 6

Dear All,

Some rather unexciting developments with the primer and top enamel coat finished I am now wiring the track into position. I have also included a photo of the next 8 foot by 8 foot base board cut ready for construction. This will be the north half of Bangor station. Photos below. 

post-15340-0-96637900-1404484583.jpg

post-15340-0-12483000-1404484587.jpg

post-15340-0-98230900-1404484589.jpg

post-15340-0-59573600-1404484980_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 5

WELSH DRAGON RAIL LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Dear All,

I have finished securing the rail in the new area by the droppers through the base boards. Have not connected to the bus line yet but that is the next step. Photos showing the sweep of the track in the area north of Bangor. 

Llandudno storage area prior to getting to Conwy. Hidden track on the left sweeping around to connect with the scenic track in a tunnel

post-15340-0-41413900-1404995402.jpg

post-15340-0-70890900-1404995405.jpg

View looking through the yet to be completed tunnel towards Conwy from the Bangor end. A guards van can just be seen in the dictance and beyond this the River Conwy.

post-15340-0-70039200-1404995416.jpg

Conwy castle can just be seen in the distance.

post-15340-0-06577500-1404995425_thumb.jpg

Two passing loops on the outside  and two main lines in the middle.

post-15340-0-93758500-1404995430_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-31613500-1404995440_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 8

Dear All,

I have been busy wiring under the layout but there is little to really show picture wise for my efforts. I can now run a loco from the left Conwy end over the tubular bridge and onto the first series of points where the passing loops and Llandudno goods area are. This is quite long and is slowly getting there.  I shall finish the wiring within the next couple of days and then start on the main Bangor base board, which has been cut out as previously shown but not yet put together. I think a video would be in order  once I have got all of the existing track running. The hidden track round the outside is all wired up and operational.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley  

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 1

Dear All,

I have been experimenting with inserting a video into the thread, cann't work out how to. If the limit is 1 MB then that is too small for the video files. Do people use You tube and then link back to RM web? 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• RMweb Premium

Dear All,

I have been experimenting with inserting a video into the thread, cann't work out how to. If the limit is 1 MB then that is too small for the video files. Do people use You tube and then link back to RM web? 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Yes use Youtube then insert the link; much easier!!

Be good to see it running...

David

Dear David,

Thanks for the tip with the you tube. I have made my first two attempts at recording and downloading a video. They are a bit rough but I shall improve with practice.

Links are below:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv4lm6GaD8qxFRzjQIpFCpQ

All comments are welcome.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 1

Dear All,

A little disappointing on the feed back for the You Tube videos linked above. It was really exciting to get the locos running and I was hoping for the odd comment. Nevertheless I have continued with the major Bangor board and have ir ready for the vertical support pieces. The photos are really beginning to give a sense of the scale of the layout despite the lack of scenery. I have about 10 more automatic points to wire up for automatic operation. I have done another this evening but it is a slow process.

Photos are below.

The largest Bangor base board with Conwy castle in the back ground. The cross bracing has been positioned to avoid all points. I have learnt by experience to simplify the installation of the points. Any rail allows a very accurate plan to avoid boards under the points I have included a photo of the castle to give a sense of scale. Also included in the photo below is the single decker bus sitting on the piece of wood on the far left end of the Bangor board. The piece of wood has two  pieces of cork  draped over it. There is a thin line next to the bridge. That is the 16 rake train I have been running in the clips.

post-15340-0-81691600-1405942817_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-47229400-1405943208_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-53028800-1405942824_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-35326100-1405942831_thumb.jpg

In this photo I have included a double decker bus at the front of the Bangor base board

post-15340-0-63261300-1405942838_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Feeling good today. Tomorrow is tomorrow.

You mentioned lack of response to the videos but two of them had only been viewed 13 and 17 times when I looked. Maybe increase the length of the video and slow down the train slightly? I know it is early days for running, but the videos both hint at what this layout is capable of. I hope you don't realise how much work you have given yourself!

For the videos you need to improve the lighting.  You also need to slow down the train - it shot off like a scolded cat!

I think if you want more views try and embed them in your post rather than post a link to a page with another link to a video.  Most people simply don't bother clicking on external links like that.

The castle is looking great and you must be thrilled about finally being able to run something.

Dear Ian, David and Jon,

Thanks very much for the comments they are greatly appreciated.

Ian I am not sure how you managed to embed the video in RM Web. I have sent a personal message to Andy and put a post above how to do this but no-one has responded except to suggest the link which is what I have done. Embedding the video is a much better way of displaying them. I have just spent another 1/2 hour trying to embed a you tube video but cann't get it to work  If you can explain I would appreciate it. I have tried copying the embed from you tube and pasting that into RM web, but all I got was the address.

I shall address some of the issues raised. In terms of the speed of the train I still have not completed wiring all of the frogs on the points so if I go too slowly the loco will stall on the frogs which have yet to be wired. I have fully automated and therefore completed the switching and therefore wiring on the first 6 frogs. I have another 10 to complete on the main line for the track which has already been laid. I am getting quicker at automating the points but it is still a little slow.

The video was taken at night and I don't think I can add more lighting. I will have to see what it looks like in a day video.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley   

Edited by Anthony Ashley