North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

EXTENDED ABSENCE

Dear All,

I have been busy at work for a few months in Sydney with little modelling on my layout. I am  back home for a week or so with some progress.  

Thanks for the comments by John and Simon. To better explain the storage yard they will be fully automated with track detection on every line. Entry 488 on page 19 shows the electronic track plan. The storage yards have a traverser at the end to pick up the loco and a run around loop to return the loco to the front of the rake. The plan is also below.

post-15340-0-86782300-1461137806_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-93530700-1461137962.jpg

post-15340-0-22758900-1461137968_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-08189300-1461137997.jpg

I am going to extend the hidden track on the right next. Last night I ordered another 50 points for the next stage of the layout. 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

post-15340-0-99765300-1461137942.jpg

Dear All,

Completed a fair amount of track support with my week at home, including painting it with primer and top coat. The plan below shows the area I worked on in blue track. It is the hidden track of the right of the layout under Bangor.  

post-15340-0-09974100-1461664547_thumb.jpg

The scenic area above the hidden track worked on is shown in plan below. The Bangor goods yard will take some time.

post-15340-0-93169500-1461664137_thumb.jpg

Here are some shots of the supports. It is really hard to get the scale of the work into a photo as the dog bone loops are 20 feet long by 6 feet wide. I only have the top loop and the return to the yard to complete. By the time I get home the 50 points required to complete the new sections should have been delivered and once the track support is finished laying and painted I can lay the track. I need to start form the bottom so will not permanently fix the track supports until track is laid from the bottom. 

Bottom loop looking up the layout.

post-15340-0-18074500-1461665069_thumb.jpg

3 layers of hidden track support going up and down the dog bone loop.

post-15340-0-04716400-1461665088.jpg

I have not cut to track support to the exact size yet. Only the top layer has track laid as yet.

post-15340-0-45557900-1461665107_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-29272900-1461665134_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to getting the rest of the points, required for all the hidden dog bone loops, the scenic track and one of the 2 yards. I require another 40 points for the other yard.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley  

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I had never looked at this layout before but when I read above that you have 200 Mk I coaches I knew I had to go back and read from the beginning.

The magnitude of this project is awe inspiring.

Jon and Bogie,

Thanks for the positive comments. I have finally worked out how to get the best picture of my track plan onto RM Web so thought a copy of it might be a useful reminder of where I am heading, showing greater detail than previously.

The scenic part of the layout is pictured below. From the top going anti clock wise are the stations of Conwy, Penmaenmawr and Bangor. Just above Bangor is the main scenic/hidden track junction.

The only fictional area on the layout is the yellow and brown area above Penmaenmawr which will be a WW1 and WW2 aircraft museum and the area above Bangor next to the scenic divider. The scenic area at the bottom of the layout will be the mountain next to Penmaenmawr, nearly reaching the roof of the shed in height.

If you click on the plans you get a much more detailed view of them.

post-15340-0-30668400-1461758284_thumb.jpg

The hidden track area has 2 levels on the left and three on the right descending using dog bone loops. There is a return loop at the top loop of each dog bone. Each dog bone loop also has storage and passing loops for each direction. The circle of track at the top of the layout is the second level of the 2 level helix for the left hidden track.

The yard on the left represents Holyhead as it connects onto Bangor. The yard at the bottom of the layout represents Chester or the other stations which rakes commence the days operation from in the Summer of 1960 (ie Euston, Manchester etc). Each yard has a traverser and a run around loop to facilitate return of the loco to the front of the rake once it has entered the yard.

The layout comprises approx 125 points in the scenic and 125 points in the hidden sections. Most of the points on the layout will be computer automated via a touch screen with servo and decoder controlling them. The points in each goods yard of the scenic area will be controlled with lever frame and wire and tube. I have a 12 lever frame for Conwy and require a 24 frame for Penmaenmawr and a 36 frame for Bangor.

post-15340-0-62758600-1461758313_thumb.jpg

Look forward to any comments.

Regards,

Anthony

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 4

Dear All,

In the next few weeks I shall have another 2 weeks ends at home. This should allow  me to finish off the hidden track support on the right of the layout, including the Chester representational yard. This will therefore complete all of the hidden track support boards, which I am very happy about. I will also have received by the time I am home again the 54 points I currently have on order with Hattons. I have another 20 odd points at home and this will be sufficient points to finish to complete all of the hidden track areas including the Holyhead hidden  yard but not the Chester hidden yard on the right. It should also cover all of the scenic points apart from the Bangor yard. I will also have received by this time the additional 21 coaches which will complete the 220 odd coaches required for the days time table operation for the Holyhead Chester line in summer 1960.

This is my plan for the next visit home but we shall see how far I will get.

I have recently seen on You tube a clip on zip texturing. I decided to buy some bulk powder pigments to facilitate the zip texturing process on the layout. The photo below shows the colours I have bought in 1.75 kg bottles. These should last me a few years.

post-15340-0-89331100-1462113923_thumb.jpg

I am interested in anyones comments on the zip texturing process. Has any one used it and what techniques did you use? Were there any tips or hints you can share before I engage in experimenting with the process. I think the range of colours I have bought will provide an interesting variation in the colour palette available to me to represent the ground colours on the layout.

Look forward to hearing your ideas on the Zip texturing.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley  

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Its a scenic technique widely used by American modellers to cover an area of your layout where you require a textured ground cover. You start by spraying water with a small amount of detergent over the area, then sprinkling a mix of dry plaster and powder pigment over. Usually through a sieve. You may need to go over with an atomiser after to make sure the plaster is wet, but no drops, please, it messes up the finish. Zip refers to the speed of application. I usually start by making the surface wetting include some pva bond in the mix, although if you want to take it up you'll need some chiselling! Then I don't use the powder paint, having this cuts a stage out, and if the ground cover chips, you won't get white shewing, but there isn't any variation in the surface colour, without a lot of mixes. I prefer to go over afterwards with pva paint washes. It's a good way to get a nice grainy textured finish, which you can round off with the various scatter and ground foam materials available for vegetation.

Edited by Northroader

Dear Simon and North Roader,

Thanks for the comments. Your summary of the technique is very good North Roader. I have found a modern 2010 Model Railroad article on zip texturing. It is found as follows:

https://issuu.com/mr-hobbyist/docs/mrh-2010-sep-oct-ol/69?viewMode=presentation&mode=embed

Just paste the above link into your internet address bar.

If you copy the URL address onto you internet file location the front page of the magazine will open. Then click on the article on the front page called "Zip texturing - resurrected" and you will be directe4d to the first page of the zip texturing article.

This will take you to the pages with pictures and text describing the technique. I am interested in any comment from those reading it. It looks a promising cheap means of realistically covering a large area for minimal cost. This fits my requirements very nicely.

Look forward to any comments if you read the article, or any views of your own.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All,

A couple of weekends at home enabled me to finish cutting all of the horizontal hidden track support on the right of the layout. I have secured, painted and laid track on about 1/3 of this hidden track. I will probably have next week end home as well so may finish off another 1/3 of this area, including laying of track. The work is exacting and critical for the layout but does not add much visually and so photos do not really show the progress well. Once I have finished all of the hidden track leading to the storage yards I can again work on the scenic areas, which will show more progress and be relevant for photos. Each yard will require 102 lengths of flexible track ie 4 boxes. I need to work out when to buy this taking into account exchange rates. I have not yet worked out how much more flex track is required. I bought 5 boxes of 30 lengths in each a few months ago and only have 1 box left.

Regards,

Anthony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just realised how to get a sense of scale for what you are building. its n gauge, scale 1:148 and you have (or will have 220 coaches). You have enough to make your own single full size coach and then some.

Mr Ashley I salute you and at the same time say your nuts, fabulously nuts :-)

Out of interest a couple of questions

When will the 1st train run a full distance?

How long to complete the track build alone?

Are you the reason Bachman & Peco never announce profit warnings?

Dear Pirouets,

Yes most people have said I could not build this layout as my first experience with model railways s the aim is to prove them wrong, using  a lot of research through the internet, talking t many experiences modellers and conducting very through planning. To date this seems to have worked, but time will tell.

In answer to your questions

When will the 1st train run a full distance?

My absence from my home town of Brisbane for work reasons has considerably slowed down progress, as I am only home sporadically. I think with another 4 days at home I will probably have all of the hidden track complete minus the 2 yards. I have been building the layout for about 2 and a quarter years, but only 1 year of that was in Brisbane. Once all of the hidden track apart from the yards has been completed I can focus on the scenic track areas. The hidden track is relatively easy to build as it is mainly comprised of 2 lines, one up and one down with only a few passing loops of 8 feet on each to facilitate my longest train rake. Once I have finished the rest of the hidden track I have a running length from 1 yard to the other of about 260 feet, with the 2 yards adding another 16 feet in length. This is not now very far away with a few more week ends at home but not due to do so far a couple of months from now.

The scenic track is abut 78 feet in size for the circuit around the oval.

I feel that progress on the scenic track will be much more visual and show greater progress. I decided to start from the top and work upwards as this is easier for track and point installation. I may not finish the scenic track until some time after my retirement, which is abut 18 months away, but the next Christmas break this year may see considerable progress but we shall have to see (5 weeks leave over Christmas). 

How long to complete the track build alone?

I believe that in 2 years I will have had 6 months of retirement time and therefore 6 months in Brisbane. This should see all of the hidden track and scenic track complete minus the 2X34 track yards

Are you the reason Bachman & Peco never announce profit warnings?

I am concerned that Bachmann and Peco will had maintained soaring profits over the next 2 years but there is little I can do about it. The good news is that I have received the last of the 220 coaches and have none left to purchase!!!!!!

Thankyou for your interest. I have managed to secure and cut cork on a large section of the hidden track on the right side of the layout this week end as home for my sons 21st birthday. Not time to do too much but achieved some progress.

Regards,

Anthony

• 1 month later...

Simon and all,

Spent last week end at home but limited opportunity to model. Managed to complete track work on about another half of one dog bone loop on the right of the layout looking up the layout. I t may not seen like much but it added another 8 metres or  24 feet of track work. Simon my reference to the 2 yards are the goods yards not a measurement of 3 feet, each goods yard being 8 feet. 

I  think I have to lay about another 13.6 metres or 40 feet to finish the hidden track. This includes a reverse loop at the top of the top dog-bone. This reverse loop is replicated on the hidden track on the left of the layout as well.  

I am getting a little bored doing the hidden track but will finish this area off. I shall not be working on the storage yards yet, as will start on the scenic track once done with the hidden track. I think Penmaenmawr will be the next tackled, but probably not until the Christmas break.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 1

Dear Anthony,

I feel compelled to say how superb I think this layout is, it's scope, ambition and execution are superb. It's not easy getting a realistic finish in N and you're doing a very fine job of it.

I love your layout shed, where you can open up the doors and work virtually outside in the summer months.

I love the size of the whole thing, you're using N to its full potential, and I am pleased to see the level of interest you're getting, as I feel N is oft overlooked on these forums.

I also really like the fact you're using the ECoS 50200 DCc unit. It's something that I'm interested in using for my own future layout. I have just flicked through and haven't read everything so I'll start asking dumb questions once I have.

Please keep the updates coming, I'm following with interest.

Grob,

Thanks for the encouraging comments. My only regret is the infrequent access I can get to the layout being only home about every month and a half or so. Slowly but surely is the go with small advances being the aim. 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 1

Hi Anthony,

It is great to follow your progress. The word prolific is an understatement with your progress.

I will be having a meeting in November at my place and I should be able to demonstrate RR and Co which I believe you are thinking about using.

Regards

BRMA Rodney

• Like 1

G'day Anthony,

Are you still working in Sydney at the moment? I've just stumbled across this thread and it's taken me two nights to read through it from start to finish! It is truly inspiring to see the journey you have embarked upon and the rapid progress made. The only word I can think of to justify the scale of it all is biblical! I'm really looking forward to the day when a train can complete a circuit of the whole layout...  What I find most inspiring is that you have managed to maintain the momentum despite being 1100km or so from home most of the time. Working away from home like that is a massive sacrifice for all concerned, yourself and your family. I have to travel interstate regularly for my job (mostly from Sydney to Melbourne) and generally I am not away for more than the five days of a working week, so I can only imagine how difficult life has been for you.

I love the choice of prototype and the incredibly ambitious nature of what you have taken on. Please keep the updates coming. 

Dear Rod and Jon,

Your comments are really appreciated. Rod I will try to make the Nov meeting.

Yes John I am in Sydney to Dec 17 so about 17 months to go. The momentum is a little fragmented. When I go home for a week end I take the Fri and Mon off so make it a 4 day week end. I can generally get a fair amount of work done in that time. I think a trip home in Aug, Oct and then the Dec break will be the plan for the next 5 months. I should get the hidden track on the right finished with a 4 day week end. That means the Oct break will allow me to focus on the scenic track again. Last trip home I also electrified the part of the track which I can elevate. I have not tested it yet but it just flexi tack to the bus. I have used a weight on a long length of wire to slide up and down with the raise of the board. I shall take a few photos next time home to show the design. 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Andy,

Thanks for the encouragement. I am just lucky to have a large area to set up my layout. It was part of the deal with my wife to move to a new house!! I think the size of your layout is not relevant to the effort you put in as there is room for all shapes, sizes and eras in our great hobby. I do believe that the larger the layout the more important the planning and in this area I have spent a lot of time. 

I am going home again next week end so will be bale to get a little more of the right hidden layout section done.

Andy I have enjoyed your comments on other threads so look forward to hearing more from you.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 1

WELSH DRAGON RAIL LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Dear All,

I have taken some photos of the wiring for the section of the layout that elevates. Explanations are below. 

Wiring and terminal strip shown form the side that is able to elevate. More wires will terminate in this strip once I have finished the track work. The single output wire is connected to all of the track droppers. There is no need for track detection in this section of the layout and so no need to isolate specific areas.

post-15340-0-12600800-1471102168.jpg

I have pulled the wires from between the 2 boards to show the wheel that the wires slide on and the weight to ensure the wires remain taught. Rhodesian Ridgebak dog and my wife's feet are in the back ground.  

post-15340-0-07571700-1471102196.jpg

The wires nestle between the 2 boards and move up and down as the section is raised and lowered.

post-15340-0-49960000-1471102209.jpg

Other side of the area with the permanent fixed board. Wires are connected to the bus lines as per normal DCC operation.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley.

post-15340-0-00576600-1471102231.jpg