North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

Hi Anthony Ashley

Just came across this layout it was the title of the Thread that got my attention as I live in North Wales nearer to Caernarfon than Bangor, your plans look good. Great photos to, I like the way you have hung the track below on Rods...! Do you find this a good way and works well, I have a load of spare rods but that was more for an Helix, but I may go Under like you and round. Looks huge what size is the hole layout on...? I take it you being in OZ, you have the room for it in OO Gauge...?

Keep up the good work bud.

Regards

Jamie

Anthony,

I do think the loops will make your life very much easier.  Traversers with uncouplers, inaccessible, and dependent on precision control, just felt like it was begging for frustrating & troublesome times.

ive just spent the thick end of two hours searching for what turned out to be a dry joint.  It wasn’t a problem when I tested the PCB on the bench before installation, but it was a miserable & unmitigated nuisance once installed under the baseboards, where access wasn’t awful (it was near the front) but the wire lengths etc, made it just plain difficult to sort out.

you've got the potential for thousands of them, so K.I.S.S. is good advice I think.

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Jamie,

The layout is N Gauge so the area being modelled is quite large, incorporating part of Conwy, Penmaenmawr and Bangor.  The layout is 36 feet by 16 feet with a small walkway in the middle y shed is about 40 feet by 19 feet, providing a narrow walkway around the layout. I will need to complete about 450 buildings for the layout ( with many of those being similar tenement houses. The hanging rods are a great idea as they allow the height to be adjusted if the gradient is too steep. I do not have more that 1% gradient (I hope) but on some curves this may be too much , particularly for the 17 coach rake. The rods will facilitate fine adjustment if required. 

The scenic and hidden rack plan is on the prior page.

Simon.

I agree the loops certainly will simplify the process. I sympathise with your connection problem. I have added many switches to try make problem solving much easier. Each switch has its own coloured coded wires to the track area from one of the 6 power sources I have. There may be up to 8 switches per power source.

Even though the hidden yards are under the layout they are not difficult to access, as they are at least 500ml below the scenic track height with nothing else above them. This provides a very large space for problem solving. I hope to place all of the servos and switching electronics on top of the yard board for further ease of access, rather than underneath.  In fact the bottom yard is under the mountain so even more height above it. I do not see access as any issue.

Both comments have been greatly appreciated.

Have fitted one hidden board and nearly done the second in between throwing a ball for Darcy the boreder collie!!!!

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Anthony,

please don’t take this the wrong way, but each of your “8 switches per power supply” has at least two connections, and if you add that to the track connections, you end up with plenty of “SPOF”s - Single Points of Failure, and it’s difficult, impossible even, to avoid them.  And by any standards, your layout is complex.

I do like the idea of everything visible with lots of headroom, but even on my pal’s garden line, (there’s a hundred miles of headroom but you might have to duck if the ISS is coming over :) ) access can sometimes require some contortions, and he built it twenty-odd years ago, when he was my age.  Whilst he’s very active and in good health, he’s in his eighties and not quite as flexible as he was, so it bears planning for the future too.

I'm sure the loops are the right way forward.

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Anthony Ashley said:

Jamie,

The layout is N Gauge so the area being modelled is quite large, incorporating part of Conwy, Penmaenmawr and Bangor.  The layout is 36 feet by 16 feet with a small walkway in the middle y shed is about 40 feet by 19 feet, providing a narrow walkway around the layout. I will need to complete about 450 buildings for the layout ( with many of those being similar tenement houses. The hanging rods are a great idea as they allow the height to be adjusted if the gradient is too steep. I do not have more that 1% gradient (I hope) but on some curves this may be too much , particularly for the 17 coach rake. The rods will facilitate fine adjustment if required. 

The scenic and hidden rack plan is on the prior page.

Simon.

Hi Simon

Thank for that information Simon, a very descent size layout to, impressive, I'm be going to the Colwy Bay MRC with there show towards the mid/end of the year (2020) as they put an a good show on. I last saw most of them at the Prestatyn and Rhyl MRC back in December 7th, 2019. 

I take it before you moved to OZ that you lived along the North Wales coast line then as the Area's you are modelling must come from your younger days on Holiday or Living close.  Its One of the Best Railway Rides by Train once you leave Chester as my Dad always used to say and much preferred to travel up by train than by car, but then any excuse to use the Train. He would say to Mom, no love... the car is not big enough for all these suitcase, we better go by train... haha...

Trouble is we don't get much running nowadays, the WAG Train runs down to Cardiff Central and the Nuclear Flasks every Thursday @7:30 to 8:00 then catch then going back around 3-4 o'clock in the afternoon and always DRS Class 57's Doubleheader normally occasionally Class 20 and or Class 57 together which always seems odd combination as I'm so use to a Pair of Class 20's but that as been fairly rare and tends to be 57's.

This time of year we get the Weed Killer aka RHTT which was always Network Rail Class 37's aka 97303/97304 normally and have plenty of photos of it at Holyhead but seems from 2/3 or so years ago, last year and this year it seems to have gone over to Class 56 in Colas Rail Livery.

Regards

Jamie

• Thanks 1

Jamie,

I’m Simon, just an observer and commentator who used to live on the Wirral and pass that way quite a bit.  

The man behind the Layout is Anthony, I think you mistook his reply to me as his signature.  I guess he’ll forgive you!

atb

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simond said:

Jamie,

I’m Simon, just an observer and commentator who used to live on the Wirral and pass that way quite a bit.  

The man behind the Layout is Anthony, I think you mistook his reply to me as his signature.  I guess he’ll forgive you!

atb

Simon

Doh!

To Simon

Sorry Simon... ah the Wirral so a none Scourer then... I sometime go over to Birkenhead MRC on Friday Nights, and when I first went to visit, all I could hear was a load of lar lars, as my brother would put it, I mistakenly said Scourers as that's what they all sounded like to me lol WHAT...! Never again... Scourers are the other side of the Mersey in a true Scourer ascent... came back the answer... Never call them Scourers on this side of the Mersey is all I took away with me that night, along with Calm Down, Calm Dow Ehhhh...!

I found it funny and could only relate to me being from the Black Country in the West Midlands and calling me a "Brummy"... What...! That was the only comparison I could take from it lol

Good job both ascents are equally as bad lol ... that, and we all have great sense of humour haha...!

To Anthony

and Sorry Anthony, getting you mixed up with Simon in Comments above, I do apologise....!

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Thanks 1

Jamie and Simon,

I appreciate all of the chatter about the area and the line in particular, and am not in the least concerned about the confusion on the layout building. Simon has contributed in a very important fashion over the years (longer than 5 years), although we have never met. His insightful and practical comments have always been greatly valued and have really assisted in refining the layout with some minor but also very significant improvements. The discussions on track plan, layout and scenery have assisted in changing and improving my planning. Of course this is my first layout the I have built so I am learning as I go.

Jamie just to explain I am Australian and have never lived in Wales, although I have had 3 holidays the Britain. If you have a look at the very first post of this series I have explained the basis of the layout . I decided on the location by going to a train enthusiast house, talking to him and looking at his extensive train library. The Chester/Holyhead line had everything I wanted in a N Gauge layout. The volume of traffic for a day was manageable with 108 passenger. 54 goods and 8 parcel movements. This has required 220 coaches of various sizes. I have managed to get all of the coaches and ,most of the locos. The line had the spectacular Conwy castle at Conwy, a granite mine in a mountain, narrow gauge track, seaside resort and 2 fantastic viaducts at Penmaenmawr and the largest goods station at Bangor. These 3 station add different elements to the layout and are managable in N Gauge. Conwy and Penmaenmawr have quite a few buildings but Bangor only a few. One of the more interesting buildings in Bangor has been there for at least 100 years and is next to the underpass near the station. It is the grave maker, who has maintained the same house and advertises examples of his grave stones at the front garden of his house. I have seen photos from about 1920 and the same thing is still visible on google earth. Photo from Google Earth is below:

181695473_BangorFunerals.jpg.7b32810dafccf3dd14fd68d20f20e1b4.jpg

An extract of the time table  is below:

The extract includes the Irish mail rake. the columns are in order:

Time of departure, Departing Station and rake length including loco, Destination station, Time of arrival at scenic station, Time of departure at scenic stations (yellow in these boxes means stopping at the station), Rake composition, Number of coaches, Loco on rake and Layout designation number (recorded on Storage yard), I have all of the passenger, goods and parcel trains for a day in summer 1960.  

1690208587_Timetableexample.JPG.9b3dbd04f60c961c8cce352989266cda.JPG

I shall post some photos of the hung hidden support boards later today. 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Anthony Ashley said:

Jamie and Simon,

I appreciate all of the chatter about the area and the line in particular, and am not in the least concerned about the confusion on the layout building. Simon has contributed in a very important fashion over the years (longer than 5 years), although we have never met. His insightful and practical comments have always been greatly valued and have really assisted in refining the layout with some minor but also very significant improvements. The discussions on track plan, layout and scenery have assisted in changing and improving my planning. Of course this is my first layout the I have built so I am learning as I go.

Jamie just to explain I am Australian and have never lived in Wales, although I have had 3 holidays the Britain. If you have a look at the very first post of this series I have explained the basis of the layout . I decided on the location by going to a train enthusiast house, talking to him and looking at his extensive train library. The Chester/Holyhead line had everything I wanted in a N Gauge layout. The volume of traffic for a day was manageable with 108 passenger. 54 goods and 8 parcel movements. This has required 220 coaches of various sizes. I have managed to get all of the coaches and ,most of the locos. The line had the spectacular Conwy castle at Conwy, a granite mine in a mountain, narrow gauge track, seaside resort and 2 fantastic viaducts at Penmaenmawr and the largest goods station at Bangor. These 3 station add different elements to the layout and are managable in N Gauge. Conwy and Penmaenmawr have quite a few buildings but Bangor only a few. One of the more interesting buildings in Bangor has been there for at least 100 years and is next to the underpass near the station. It is the grave maker, who has maintained the same house and advertises examples of his grave stones at the front garden of his house. I have seen photos from about 1920 and the same thing is still visible on google earth. Photo from Google Earth is below:

181695473_BangorFunerals.jpg.7b32810dafccf3dd14fd68d20f20e1b4.jpg

An extract of the time table  is below:

The extract includes the Irish mail rake. the columns are in order:

Time of departure, Departing Station and rake length including loco, Destination station, Time of arrival at scenic station, Time of departure at scenic stations, Rake composition, Number of coaches, Loco on rake and Layout designation number (recorded on Storage yard), I have all of the passenger, goods and parcel trains for a day in summer 1960.  

1690208587_Timetableexample.JPG.9b3dbd04f60c961c8cce352989266cda.JPG

I shall post some photos of the hung hidden support boards later today. 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Wow Anthony... Impressive... and Detailed.

Penmaenmawr Railway Station is now a Listed Building, so at least it will remain the building it always as been, back Early 2013 the Station Building went up for sale for £159,000 and I was a bit cob smacked as it's not something you see for sale (well Can't say I have ever seen a railway building for sale) but by September 2013 It was up for Sale for £119,000, it was SOLD not sure if the occupier's are huge lovers of the Railways or Not...

1987398645_A55TunnelsEastBound(154)Mod1.jpg.cc672fef70f84eef6f6abc275f6fe920.jpg

279930033_A55TunnelsEastBound(153)Mod1.jpg.0e23d4a8dd7421800a29acf3fdb5efdf.jpg 

But it was kept in good form after the sale... and the Architecture of the station still remains, which I pleased about... as seen in October 2013

Looking toward Llandudno

1459535230_PenmaenmawrRailwayStation12Oct2013(99)Mod1.jpg.a7cb90d378815552ab1b36683193c1d9.jpg

45352903_PenmaenmawrRailwayStation12Oct2013(112)Mod1.jpg.ad2cdddc2427477d6aceedb0baacd53c.jpg

Looking toward Bangor

560101400_PenmaenmawrRailwayStation12Oct2013(70)Mod1.jpg.14fbf463ec0e2a73147532e0f56ee995.jpg

2006578086_PenmaenmawrRailwayStation12Oct2013(66)Mod1.jpg.f6777b40d70dd9142df2625ed2fee264.jpg

The Second Window (Door Way, but Access onto the station) now there is a Parrot in the Window and normally out of it's cage when I have been on in the past since it's sale of the station property and still a working platform and trains still stop all be it, requested now I think now. I do like the Architecture of this building to model on, I have to say. 

I have a load of Close-Ups of this building and the Signal box which is now all Boarded Up and of the Foot Bridge...! If you need any of them as a reference point to model etc,.

Hope the photos help in some way...

Regards

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Anthony

I think Bangor Station and Engine Sheds and Wagon Sheds must have been awesome back in the days when it was all in working order and so many tracks going off in to sheds etc,. Sadly all as been take up and is now a Long Stay Car Park on the Sheds side of the station which was only done fairly recently in the last 10 years or so. Holyhead Station was another great place from old photos I look at to, there were loads of tracks going off in every direction but again the A55 Bypass is all you see in its place today. I have the Close-ups of the RHTT photo in my library of photos on here, RMWeb at Holyhead Station.

I only have modern photos of what it is today.

Regards

Jamie

• Thanks 1

Jamie,

I was aware that the Penmaenmwr station had been up for sale as the real estate adds occasionally cropped up in my internet searches. Thanks for the photos as they will be really useful when I come to model the station.  I have been looking for the balastrading which fits on the rising stair cases on the Penmaenmawr track foot bridge. The picture below shows the design. Is anyone aware of an etch of this design in N gauge?

2019671228_Penmaenmawrfootbridge.jpg.bd44b5d1b37b718d282a0bff23f8c4c6.jpg

I think the LMS arches on the station veranda are available in N gauge. I am very interested in all photos of the 3 stations I am modelling if you can post them.

The rail sheds in Bangor were very large. The goods shed in N gauge is about 400 ml long!! I had some trouble working out the design of the engineering shed at Bangor, but now have at least a photo. It was an odd combination of about 2 different styles, partly saw tooth roof and then an elevated section for the coaches/wagons to fit underneath. I have one good photo of the structure shown below. If anyone else has any other photos of this building I a interested in getting a copy.

215833478_EngineerShed2.jpg.0233fea814249984a158bdf1b6d1a887.jpg

The photos below are the final sections of the hidden track support apart from the run around loops and Chester storage yard. I have not completed any of this recently and last did some about 4 years ago!

IMG_5606V2.jpg.914185e9614629f4169fdaf5eea0adef.jpg

IMG_5607V2.jpg.23807254a430d4108475fc6a2889b70a.jpg

IMG_5608V2.jpg.e0b6338ea9c9963e28b2a562b671202a.jpg

I need to finish one of the supports to go under both the board above and the Chester storage yard.

I shall be focusing on the Rail viaduct at Pen-y-clip next.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Anthony Ashley said:

Jamie,

I was aware that the Penmaenmwr station had been up for sale as the real estate adds occasionally cropped up in my internet searches. Thanks for the photos as they will be really useful when I come to model the station.  I have been looking for the balastrading which fits on the rising stair cases on the Penmaenmawr track foot bridge. The picture below shows the design. Is anyone aware of an etch of this design in N gauge?

2019671228_Penmaenmawrfootbridge.jpg.bd44b5d1b37b718d282a0bff23f8c4c6.jpg

I think the LMS arches on the station veranda are available in N gauge. I am very interested in all photos of the 3 stations I am modelling if you can post them.

The rail sheds in Bangor were very large. The goods shed in N gauge is about 400 ml long!! I had some trouble working out the design of the engineering shed at Bangor, but now have at least a photo. It was an odd combination of about 2 different styles, partly saw tooth roof and then an elevated section for the coaches/wagons to fit underneath. I have one good photo of the structure shown below. If anyone else has any other photos of this building I a interested in getting a copy.

215833478_EngineerShed2.jpg.0233fea814249984a158bdf1b6d1a887.jpg

The photos below are the final sections of the hidden track support apart from the run around loops and Chester storage yard. I have not completed any of this recently and last did some about 4 years ago!

IMG_5606V2.jpg.914185e9614629f4169fdaf5eea0adef.jpg

IMG_5607V2.jpg.23807254a430d4108475fc6a2889b70a.jpg

IMG_5608V2.jpg.e0b6338ea9c9963e28b2a562b671202a.jpg

I need to finish one of the supports to go under both the board above and the Chester storage yard.

I shall be focusing on the Rail viaduct at Pen-y-clip next.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Hi Anthony

Love those hanging rods for the layout below genius... It's gave me a few good idea's for when I get round to starting my layout, I have the Boards all done, but only on 12ft x 9ft '6inch and in OO-Gauge foe me.

The foot bridge I of many of both in Full and in sections, as regards and of the main building on the station I have taken many of that in sections from the opposite platform so I can differently upload those if those will help you...

With regards to the Sheds in Bangor, I have a few but like I said it's all car park now but saying that the Sheds are all still standing or certainly Two but would need to look have many stood back in the good old days as they say, just no track work.

It's a tough one as I only moved to the North Wales back in 2004 and then I got divorced in 2008 and family expected me to sell up and go back to the West Midlands but I fell in love with the Mountains and Scenery and back to the railways I loved of trains from my childhood memories kicked in, along with taking Photographs of the scenery.  In 2008/9, I joined a local Model club but sadly it fell apart due to lack of member's but I was quick to pick up on the amount of attention to details that modeller's like to have on the layout, along with accuracy on detail, I was also quickly noticed how you can't do that, because of this or that, or that is not correct etc., because, you can't run that because it's the wrong era or that wasn't built then etc., blah blah blah.  I came to understand that was Typical Modellers Talk or politics lol

I then started a bit of a mission on taking on more detailed photos as some kind of proof it existed etc., as I started to understand how modellers pull things apart in the real world so to speak and so by taking my photos of the Railway Infrastructure and Railway Building and their changes over the time I have been living there but that would mainly be form of Liveries and what Trains have ran on the North Wales Coast line since I have lived in North Wales, I have slowly built up a good library of photos for modelling purposes. If I have not got it, then I do tend to go out with my camera and take photos of the close-ups needed to fill in any gaps in details of buildings on a specific station etc.. So if there are photo's that you want and I don't have them, I'm more than happy to take a drive out on the sunny days haha, well that 8 months of the year stuck in the house then haha lol... compared to the sunny days you must get in Brisbane, I bet its lovely every day of the year.

I'm become a bit of a Railway book collector in this same period on all things Railways of North Wales, and there are some by W.G. REAR (by Foxline Publishers) but I have and they are highly recommended, with photo's and Full Track Plans on every station that each book covers.

There is an absolute excellent Railway Book Shop in the world personally, and is in Porthmadog and ran by Steve who does a lot a Model Shows and major show events to help keep the WHHR Running, that's the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway (WHHR) at the Full Mainline Railway Station end of Porthmadog, as appose to the other end of Porthmadog where you have the Welsh Highland Railway (WHR) which runs from Caernarfon to Blaenau Ffestiniog via Porthmadog. (Not to get them mixed up)

The Book shop and I do say this just about everyone who is looking for a Railway Book on just about anywhere in the world, then Search for Welsh Highland Heritage Railway, there railway only runs for about half Mile, but I often go for a Cuppa-Tea and browse through the books, but Steve will be your man or check out online shop and website etc.,

Nice chatting to you Anthony, no doubt we will chat again over time as I upload the photos you may require, if that is OK with you and helps you out, but will never be offended if not. Just say what you want photos of and I will see what I can find for you, I'll be amazed if I don't have some kind of near or distant photo of what you need.

Bangor Station c1926

177215358_BangorStationTrackPlanof1926Mod1.jpg.d243a383ac1955f4c5d874262d03c935.jpg

Regards

Jamie

• Thanks 1

Hi Anthony

Books that may be of Interest... for Track Plans, Photos and plenty of details, Example being in the Bangor Book in my previous Post of the Track Plan of Bangor Station c1926...

1092689524_WGRearBangor2Mod1.jpg.a8df540ac4400757d58c9e9bf75a5dad.jpg

1917539124_WGRearCaernarfon2Mod1.jpg.c582d022c7009a92f44a7ee23f1cb92f.jpg

356065003_WGRearAnglesey2Mod1.jpg.4a270f631e951fbfc4e938e966d5f651.jpg

452257446_WGRearConwyValley2Mod1.jpg.be5bf0134a5ef473ca826db8cfc981dc.jpg

Regards

Jamie

• Thanks 1

Hi Anthony

Few of the Penmaenmawr track foot bridge Taken in 2013 after its new paint job

1045132915_PenmaenmawrRailwayStation12Oct2013(380)Mod1.jpg.9aaa6ddaaa517210c8a16f9276dc315a.jpg

202751857_PenmaenmawrRailwayStation12Oct2013(381)Mod1.jpg.a43a58bc8176fb662f64797be3ed505b.jpg

387370155_PenmaenmawrRailwayStation12Oct2013(382)Mod1.jpg.c9468acec751bd75b71e85687caaa739.jpg

75505871_PenmaenmawrRailwayStation12Oct2013(300)Mod1.jpg.0df3b9ac32ce5634e46bad6904b79bed.jpg

Taken from the road at the back of the station building

566936822_PenmaenmawrRailwayStation12Oct2013(7)Mod1.jpg.d04fc4cdc66af6a47ea13a7461b12fec.jpg

The Occupier of the station below...

440538546_PenmaenmawrRailwayStation12Oct2013(6)Mod1.jpg.38fa6030f492568e72e1921da3e02c0a.jpg

Regards

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jamie,

Good luck with the layout. OO Gauge has advantages by being less fiddly and much more versatile in terms of items available. If you have a link for your layout please attach it to your next post. All of your photos of the station and bridge will be of great assistance when I come to modelling those features. They are very detailed and provide a great basis for modelling.

I have a number of books on the line including :

From Chester to Holyhead: The Branch Lines

Railways of North Wales: Bangor

Lost Lines of Wales; Chester to Holyhead

North Wales Steam (1927-1968)

North Wales Steam Vol 2

London Midland Steam in North Wales

Rhyl to Bangor Midland Main Lines

Steam on the North Wales Coast

Chester to Holhead Railway. This book has track plans of Conwy, Penmaenmawr and 2 of Bangor 1 of 1876 and one much later- it looks the same as the one you posted above. 

I would be interested if you think the other books have any good pictures of the 3 stations I am modelling. As I am about to model the Pen-y-clip Rail viaduct any photos of that would be useful. I do have quite a few from online. 

Thank you for your extensive contribution to date it is appreciated.

In terms of Brisbane weather we had about 4 months of no rain but in the last two weeks about 200mls or possible more!! Forecast is for really heavy rain for the next week.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Anthony

I don't have a Thread for my layout unfortunately, but I plan to when I stop buy the latest loco's and the Hornby Catalogue and me being a Huge APT fan of, Dec2020/Jan2021 is going to be a huge payout to Hornby, but a savings plan as been put in to place lol

By Oldest Brother is into N-Gauge so I know the sizes we are referring to and personally, several years ago N-Gauge have always lead the way in certainly Modern Day Livery by far, which is more my era or from BR Blue, Br Blue/Grey on wards, can't say I ever even remember the BR Green, Era EVER...!  But on my way back to visit family in the Midlands, I always drop in at the Dapol Factory and Shop in Chirk on the A5, who always tempt me into N-00 & 0-Gauges... I put it down to Staff Training personally... lol

Your Books...

You seem to have just about all and more than me if that is just for North Wales Coast Line... Some I have documented for future the next time I go to WHHR in Porthmadog.

Is your... Lost Lines of Wales; Chester to Holyhead by GRAFFEG...?  I have at least Nine Variants that they have released of most of Lost Lines of Wales Series all are great.

8 hours ago, Anthony Ashley said:

North Wales Steam Vol 2

Chester to Holhead Railway. This book has track plans of Conwy, Penmaenmawr and 2 of Bangor 1 of 1876 and one much later- it looks the same as the one you posted above. 

9 hours ago, Anthony Ashley said:

This book has track plans of Conwy, Penmaenmawr and 2 of Bangor 1 of 1876

Glad you said the 3 Places again... I was going to ask what the third place was, I got Penmaenmawr and Bangor, and I was thinking Llanfairfechan, but I take it, it's Conwy Station, I have only been once to Conwy Station itself although I have been many times before to Conwy as they have Festival Fairs on several times a year but I tend to miss the station when I go to those, but there is a Hill I walk up to take some great photos of Conwy Castle and Railway Cage Tunnel over the Estuary, I try and catch the WAG train (Welsh Assembly Government Train) which is Class 67 with Mk3 Coach with DVT on the rear in Arriva Livery which prior to that was a Class 57 and Mk2 Coaches back in about 2010 or 2012 maybe and they store it at Holyhead on a weekend as its the Main very Limited Stops down to the City Train on Monday to Friday's and starts out around 5;30am to get to Cardiff for around 9-9:30 and again on the night back start back around 5:30pm/6'ish and it arrives at Holyhead around 10pm, its ran to pick up all MP's (Government) and those who worked in the City (Remembering the Capital of Wales is Cardiff) When I first heard them say the City Train, me being from the Midlands, I took it as London, the City haha, that was my First Welsh Lesson. I still laugh now whenever I hear anyone say the WAG Train... I'm like oh... that's the Train that goes to the City of London... haha

I have plenty of photos of the WAG Train as it's always parked up in Holyhead over the weekend. They use it on special Welsh Government Outings (because WE are paying for them to use it, for the MP's and there Families) when the Welsh Assemble have there yearly Conference/Convention at Venue Cymru (Cymru = Wales and Cymraeg = Welsh [that was my Second Lesson in Welsh...lol]in Llandudno, and that is when I tend to catch Photo's of the WAG Train, in the light as it passed Conwy Castle, but it takes me some time to get in the spot I want to take the photo's of, as it is literally on the side of a Steep Hill, and I can't talk for a week when I get into place... lol

I do have several Photo of the Conwy station, but I think a re-visit is on the cards, in Order to update some Photo's I could do with a few more close-ups of some area's in the station, so I have that on my to-do list... Just give me a year or so... lol

I hope the Foot Bridge Photo's were to you liking, not to many I hope... tell me if there were to many as I tend to get carried away, like I said in my previews POST, they are for Modelling purposes hence I try and cover every angle I can and more.  In fact, when my Brother and I go out on the ELR Railway aka (East Lancs Railways) or the SVR Railway aka (Seven Valley Railway) he will only take 10 to 20 photo's max, while I will take sometime over a 1000 plus photo's.

in fact It's a running joke with him now, as he will ALWAYS point at something stupid like a screw head on some Lamp on the Coach or Fire Extinguisher Holder and say... Jay... I bet you you ain't got a photograph of this..., as he points at the Screw Head... followed by the words... Is it not killing you, to take a photo of that... You know you don't have a photograph of that Screw head... haha, haha (Brother for You hey lol, but we have a good laugh)

oh... between You and Me... I can admit, He's Friggin right every time... lol Obviously If I ever find out he as started looking at the RMWeb, this Sentence will be Edited and Deleted... Doh...! (that's for Sure, I'm not going to give him the Enjoyment, as it will just be another Micky take out of me AGAIN...lol, it's what happens when you are the youngest of the siblings)  I do always say that The Midland Humour is always the best... we're so use to to having the 'P taken out of you'.

Regards

Jamie

Hi Anthony

11 hours ago, Anthony Ashley said:

North Wales Steam Vol 2

Do you have any of the Books by Middleton Press (MP, Publishers) as they also do some fantastic books, I only have the those in the Pile below:- (Yes, I have two of some, it's what happens when you don't make a list of the Books I do have, hence this photo is now in my phone to refer to) lol

1664124525_MiddletonPressBooksonRailways1Mod1.jpg.05cc4ff0f98fd214f54587b4db51d354.jpg

Those are the only ones I have but I they to have good information and for just about every route in the UK. Few Front Cover views of them the PM Books:-

1681387480_MiddletonPressBooksBangortoHolyhead1Mod1.jpg.59d21a67dc6dca28752ebf2569241285.jpg

1056174915_MiddletonPressBooksChestertoRhyl2Mod1.jpg.927aeb47081d143497be7df5e8a759d6.jpg

1429804505_MiddletonPressBooksBangortoPorthmadog3Mod1.jpg.1d98cf18b020184ff88b76bf86a49f39.jpg

And also this Book is another good one...

730418959_ChestertoHolyheadVol.1byStanleyC.JenkinsandMartinLoader2Mod1.jpg.109cc61b39a0e28186cb81c2c076baf0.jpg

Hmmm Pen-y-clip Rail Viaduct... Would that happen to be it in the above photo which is on the Front Cover of that Book...?

11 hours ago, Anthony Ashley said:

I would be interested if you think the other books have any good pictures of the 3 stations I am modelling. As I am about to model the Pen-y-clip Rail viaduct any photos of that would be useful. I do have quite a few from online. 

When you said Pen-y-clip, I refer to the Road Tunnels which I do have many of inside the road tunnel as they recently upgraded all the lighting inside the road tunnel to LED Lighting which I do have, but if you are referring to the Railway Via Viaduct, which I never knew existed till now... and from the Dual Carriage way seen to the Left on the Front Cover (Above), then it would be a challenge but also a mission... plus even though I have this book and the photo on the front cover, it as never accrued to me before... (go on say Anthony, You know you want to lol ... what my Brother always says...  I bet you ain't got a photograph of that have you Jay... hahahaha lol) I'm laughing myself here... sad... lol

Just wondering if I can access it from the beach while the tide is out, or Drone It would be brilliant... if you can expand a little more as I have never venture over the edge and looked down at this bit of the railway before and there is actually a cyclist / walkers path that goes round the edge of Pen-y-clip Road Tunnel, for Cyclists & Walkers Path Only, as No Pedestrian aloud through the Road Tunnel which is just as well as the view down onto that Railway will be a good one and I'm taking it that, that photo as been taken on that very walk path... gosh i want to go out now... man...!

Even if you know say to me, no that's not the viaduct I was referring to, well still tell me more, as I will not have it, I'm pretty sure of that but I will have at some point, some photos of the one on the Front Cover of the Book above... Hmmm.... whatever it is... I need my Zoom Lens that's for sure.

Regards

Jamie

Jamie,

Yes I think you are right as Pen-y-clip is probably the road tunnel. but immediately below is the rail viaduct as shown in the cover of your book. I have started the construction of the rail viaduct on pages 28 and a single photo on page 35  experimenting with the arch area. The best photo I have of the arches is below;

1089038465_RailViaduct5.jpg.d6539e5de1610d83879e5b8c2631c2bd.jpg

If you have any better detail on the viaduct construction layout I am very interested.

You have an impressive library of books in your collection, particularly for the North Wales area. 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Informative/Useful 1

Jamie,

I have found the book Chester to Holyhead Vol 1 as shown above in your post. I can buy it electronically. Does it have any good photos of the 3 stations I am modelling. If so I shall buy it on your advice.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Edited by Anthony Ashley
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Anthony Ashley said:

Jamie,

Yes I think you are right as Pen-y-clip is probably the road tunnel. but immediately below is the rail viaduct as shown in the cover of your book. I have started the construction of the rail viaduct on pages 28 and a single photo on page 35  experimenting with the arch area. The best photo I have of the arches is below;

1089038465_RailViaduct5.jpg.d6539e5de1610d83879e5b8c2631c2bd.jpg

If you have any better detail on the viaduct construction layout I am very interested.

You have an impressive library of books in your collection, particularly for the North Wales area. 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Hi Anthony

oh that's cool and Dogs that means I can get right near to it, so the Book shows it looking down and your photo shows it looking up at the Viaduct, so were are both on the same page so to speak and the right Viaduct... I could still Drone it so I get Tack Height photos if I can... that may be interesting to see how that comes out, leave this one with me Anthony, is there a Time line you want these for or as and when, as I will take my Zoom lens to and take the the photos from the Carriageway to try and take the same photo on the Book Cover but obviously far more lol

I can buy this book really cheap here in cheap book shop locally in Llandudno £4, am I best buying it and I Post it out to you, you can always PM me, if that is a route to go by, I have Just done a Postage search for Australia... The prices are below and both the same, unless its cheaper for you online etc... it's an option for you, I have no issues doing that for you...!

Royal Mail International Tracked (Service)

5 to 7 working days delivery aim (Speed)

Up to £50 for loss or damage (Cover)

Delivery Confirmation (Tracking)

£12.45 (Price UK£)

Royal Mail International Signed (Service)

5 to 7 working days delivery aim (Speed)

Up to £50 for loss or damage (Cover)

Within UK (Tracking)

£12.45 (Price UK£)

Seem to be my Options to ship to you.

How many Bricks per photo of the Viaduct do you want lol I take what I can and choose the best one to Post on here... haha I will do my best on Modellers Photos you need from Foundations to the Top... 

I'm more gutted I don't have photo's right now to upload but I soon will have...

I'll get back to you on the Book... its been a while since I have looked at it.

Those were just my Middleton Press books, and have several more on W.G Rear I showed you previously 

I have many of UK Coaching stock, Mk1 & Mk2, Mk3 & Mk4's to, not sure on the age of coaches I can go back on...

if there is a certain type of coaching stock you are after... but you may already have that covered.

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

Hi Anthony

The Book... You have some great books already... but as each photo is copyrighted then I guess all photo in the every book will all be different and unique unless its the same own/publisher wrights.

Volume One - Chester to Hoyhead,

It cover's every station from Chester to Holyhead... 

Total of 128 pages.

Conwy,

4 pages of and 6 photo's, 3 are of the station in B&W 

Penmaenmawr,

8 pages of and 13 photo's, 6 are of the station in B&W

Talks about Penmaenmawr Train Crash with a photo of two Steam Loco's of the Up Line Night Irish Mail, headed by rebuilt 'Royal Scot' class 4-6-0 No. 46119 Lancashire Fusilier, collided with 'crab' 2-6-0 No. 42885, which had moved out on to the Up main line during the coarse of shunting operations. There was severe damage to five of the seven coaches of the Irish Mail, including the destruction of a sleeping car near the front of the train. Six people were killed and a further thirty-four were injured.

PLUS the same Picture in Full Colour on the Front Cover of the Book of the Penmaenmawr Viaduct... Bonus...! also includes Photo of the Pen-y-clip car tunnel with the two Viaducts in the distance of both the Road and Railway Viaducts in B&W.

Bangor,

5 pages of and 3 photo's, 6 B&W & 1 Colour of the station and 1 Colour photo of Passenger Tickets

Hope that Helps you decide, I think Books can be a personal thing on whether I recommend the book or not, I personally think it's a great book and with a Photo of Pen-y-clip car tunnel with the both Road Viaduct and Railway Viaduct, I guess is your biggest bonus, with a mix of Photo's in both Steam and Br Blue / Sector Era on wards and of Mixed Freight and Mixed Livery Coaching stock. First Published 2015 so would be pretty bang up to date.

Regards

Jamie

21 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

Book shows it looking down and your photo shows it looking up at the Viaduct, so were are both on the same page so to speak and the right Viaduct... I could still Drone it so I get Tack Height photos if I can... that may be interesting to see how that comes out,

Beware, Jamie, it's illegal to operate a drone within a certain distance of a railway line.

• Informative/Useful 1