North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

Anthony Ashley

Anthony,

I was in the area today so had a wander round the station and castle, are these photos any help ?

post-14569-0-55410000-1379623322.jpg

post-14569-0-83589000-1379623329.jpg

post-14569-0-46652100-1379623336.jpg

post-14569-0-23354400-1379623344.jpg

post-14569-0-60653400-1379623352.jpg

The old goods yard area has been considerably altered

post-14569-0-75337600-1379623359.jpg

and repairs done to the town wall - the lighter patches of new stonework

post-14569-0-40938800-1379623368.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Anthony,

I think the castle needs to be a lot closer to the bridge.

Photos 1 & 2 on Post #169 shows the view from the castle looking at the bridge & tower - there is virtually no gap between the two. I accept you've not yet added the small round turrets on the bridge, but your lastest photos (post #173, pics 1 & 2) show quite a large gap.

I also think the castle is too far from the edge of the bank, there is very little room between the suspension bridge tower and the castle rock & walls.

Stu

Dear Stu,

I agree the castle has not been permanently positioned and as I get closer to finishing it I shall ensure correct placement. I have a one and a half metre by one metre satellite photo of the bridge castle and surrounds and shall use this to good effect. From the satellite photo there appears to be a fairly large area between the castle wall and the foot bridge. The supporting cables are anchored on the castle wall. How far do you think this distance is? I was thinking of adding a slight extension to give more room in this area. Interested in your comments.

Regards,

Anthony

These show the road passing under the town wall and railway:

attachicon.gifConwy 41.jpg

attachicon.gifConwy 42.jpg

attachicon.gifConwy 43.jpg

attachicon.gifConwy 44.jpg

attachicon.gifConwy 45.jpg

attachicon.gifConwy 46.jpg

attachicon.gifConwy 47.jpg

Dear PGH,

Your photos are great and will be of immense assistance in constructing some of the more difficult aspects of the layout. It is amazing how many photos you need when you start to model an area. I realise the creek line is not right and too deep in my layout. I will have to see how I can fix it.

I have put in part of the ditch road in Conwy and have been focussing on the hidden track area. I have modified the hidden track layout, deleting the giant road turntable but creating a permanent fiddle yard with two single track traversers to run the loco and tender around the rake for the return journey on each fiddle yard. This will mean I don't have to operate the turntable for every departing train or handle the loco. There are also two 3 level giant helixes almost running the length of the sides of the layout. I have moved all of these tracks to the outside of the layout to give better access to the fiddle yards. I may post my hidden track plan again as it has changed considerably.

My mother in law has been painting again and added detail to the houses on the far bank of the Conwy river. Photos to follow later. She has done a great job.

All comments are welcome.

Regards,

Anthony

WELSH DRAGON RAIL - LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

I have modified the hidden part of the layout as shown below.

The red and green track is a large hidden oval around the layout.

On the both sides of the layout is a large helix with 3 levels. On the lowest level a train heading to the fiddle yard can cross tracks and return back to the scenic table if required.

At the end of each fiddle yard is a single traverser track allowing a loco and tender to enter from any fiddle yard track and run around the fiddle yard, entering the fiddle yard entry track and to rejoin its original rake of vehicles facing the correct way to leave the yard.

On the first and second level of the helix on each side of the layout are a single 16 foot goods storage siding (in orange track as is the fiddle yards and loco run around track).

I do have a query re TC gold. is it possible to draw the different levels of the helix in TC Gold as there are 3 of them.

If you have any further queries on the plan please ask.

post-15340-0-67341400-1380282911_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-84297400-1380282923_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

WELSH DRAGON RAILWAY -  LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

Dear All,

A few developments on the layout.

These include completing many of the southern Conwy medieval town wall sections including some of the turrets along the way. It is a slow process with walkways being modelled behind the wall. The turrets were made from 40 ml plumbing pipe with B Queen resin used to create the stone woek. This material remains flexible for long enough to curve around the turret and then cures in this shape. I am very happy with the effect. The castle turrets will be completed in a similar manner.

I have completed the Llandudno goods are sea wall and this is also featured.

The supporting ply for the hidden track around the top of the layout, including a large curve has also been cut.

I now need to purchase the train control system and some of the electronics. The points need to be prepared for DCC ops.  I have also recently purchased 60 vehicles form Oxford. I need some roads to put them on.

Goods train heading past the medieval town wall.

post-15340-0-57979000-1381151584_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-72657900-1381151615.jpg

The next photo shows a gate in the distance, which is yet to receive the stone work . It is a complicated shape and taken from Google earth.

post-15340-0-50448900-1381151656_thumb.jpg

Detail of the turret and wall

post-15340-0-13526600-1381151802_thumb.jpg

post-15340-0-37029400-1381151825_thumb.jpg

Sea wall in the Llandudno goods area.

post-15340-0-12033800-1381151690.jpg

2 photos of hidden track area

post-15340-0-28948900-1381151728.jpg

post-15340-0-77235600-1381151778.jpg

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Anthony

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

WELSH DRAGON RAIL LAYOUT DEVELOPMENTS

I have been busy with creating the road which goes under the goods area at Conwy and focussing on the hidden track area around the outside at the top of the layout. Photos of the new hidden track area are enclosed. It was a lot easier than I expected and has worked out well.

View along the top of the layout looking west

post-15340-0-57601800-1381666379.jpg

View looking south to north with the new track platforms just visible

post-15340-0-47067700-1381666395.jpg

View showing the corner. There are two levels with a pair of tracks ascending and a pair of tracks descending. The descending tracks will go into a giant helix appro 20 feet by 6 feet and then run into a fiddle yard a further 28 feet down the shed and yet to be built. The ascending track joins the scenic track or alternatively completes a hidden loop under the scenic section.

post-15340-0-18972600-1381666422.jpg

The other task this week end was to prepare points for DCC. Further work to be done yet on this.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 2

I have been busy with creating the road which goes under the goods area at Conwy and focussing on the hidden track area around the outside at the top of the layout. Photos of the new hidden track area are enclosed. It was a lot easier than I expected and has worked out well.

View along the top of the layout looking west

post-15340-0-57601800-1381666379.jpg

View looking south to north with the new track platforms just visible

post-15340-0-47067700-1381666395.jpg

View showing the corner. There are two levels with a pair of tracks ascending and a pair of tracks descending. The descending tracks will go into a giant helix appro 20 feet by 6 feet and then run into a fiddle yard a further 28 feet down the shed and yet to be built. The ascending track joins the scenic track or alternatively completes a hidden loop under the scenic section.

post-15340-0-18972600-1381666422.jpg

The other task this week end was to prepare points for DCC. Further work to be done yet on this.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• Like 2

I have had a busy week end with a number of tasks completed, although little to show in the way of photos. I have prepared all of the points by removing plastic webbing form both sides of the point in preparation to connecting each side of points tracks by wire. I have also isolated the frogs using a piercing saw for each point.

The supports for the hidden track are now completed and painted with primer. Need to do an enamel coat, position the track mark, out location for cork base, lay cork and paint the cork. I can then relay the track once each point is has the 3 wires soldered to each point. I have purchased 10 colours of wire to assist with identification of the wiring. I shall practice on the hidden area, make my mistakes and then proceed to the scenic area.

I am having trouble understanding how to manage the frog polarity reversal. I am using ESU switch pilot servo to control the movement of the switches with ESU servos as the motors. Does any one know if you need the Switch pilot Extensions for computer control and detection. If you need the Extension for this task then I can use them to also control the frog polarity reversal. If the Switch Pilot Servo provides the control and detection for the point then the Extension would not be necessary as I could use a much cheaper micro switch. I am also unsure how to wire the micro switch with the Switch Pilot servo. 

Any ideas or comments on this would be greatly appreciated, as I can not proceed with further work until I understand the electronics involved and what I need for operations.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley  

• 2 weeks later...

WELSH DRAGON RAIL LAYOUT DEVELOPMENT

This week has been working on wiring in the hidden track area so progress looks minimal but have made some advances. Photos are of part of the hidden track area looking either way. Once wiring this are to the track is complete I need to tackle the bend in the hidden track. 

post-15340-0-89099100-1384081842.jpg

post-15340-0-29499100-1384081869.jpg

All comments are welcome both good and bad.

regards,

Anthony

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This ambitious project is developing well, I'm particularly enjoying the growth of the Castle and town walls.

Brilliant prototype photos as well gentlemen, so different to mine.  When I visited Conwy last year it was dark, grey and extremely wet!

All the best,

Dave.

Dear Simon and Dave,

Thanks for the comments. I was going to add a hinged box with a Perspex front over the top of the hidden areas on the outside of the layout. That way the locos are protected but those viewing from outside the layout can still see them running.

Regards,

Anthony

• Like 1

Dear Simon and Dave,

Thanks for the comments. I was going to add a hinged box with a Perspex front over the top of the hidden areas on the outside of the layout. That way the locos are protected but those viewing from outside the layout can still see them running.

Regards,

Anthony

That sounds like a most excellent idea!!

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Anthony

The scale of this project is astounding - I know the area quite well, from holidays and trips when I was younger but now live in the South East. The modelling you have done to date is excellent, and I'm following this thread with interest!

I've only just got to the end of the thread - I notice you have raised some electrical questions, I don't know if you resolved them, but if you want to post the details of the bits you are using, point motors I assume, I'll try to offer some suggestions.

Kind regards

SD

Dear Terry and Simond,

Thanks for the comments they are greatly appreciated. Work has been a little hectic combined with a family issue over the last two weeks. I have been away for the last week and go to Sydney for most of this week. Accordingly modelling has been limited, although I have at last ordered all of the electronic components required to make Conwy operational. Hopefully the parts will arrive before Christmas, as I have a large holiday period coming up. 

Anyone with more great photos of Conwy, Penmaenmawr or Bangor is encouraged to add them to the thread. Those who have contributed to date have really added to my knowledge for accurate modelling of the bridges and around Conwy. Thanks again to all of those who have contributed.

My next task while waiting for the electronic components is to finish the hidden track wiring and commence cutting track for the scenic area in front of the castle. In addition I have commenced the Conwy Station base boards to run down the left side of the layout. 

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

Dear David,

Thanks for the interest in posting the photos. They are certainly useful as they show detail I have not seen before. Does anyone know what the first photo is showing. It is not consistent with my knowledge of the area. I think it is of the far bank from Conwy prior to the construction of the new highway bridge. What do others think?

Regards,

Anthony Ashley   

• RMweb Premium

Dear David,

Thanks for the interest in posting the photos. They are certainly useful as they show detail I have not seen before. Does anyone know what the first photo is showing. It is not consistent with my knowledge of the area. I think it is of the far bank from Conwy prior to the construction of the new highway bridge. What do others think?

Regards,

Anthony Ashley   

The first photo shows the entrance to the chain bridge from the east end looking towards the castle ie the reverse of the third photo; the new road passes to the right of the picture, and the wall to the left is the retaining wall behind which runs the railway.

David