This is one on my current on-going projects.  The track plan is based on an 0 gauge layout called Swansea Riverside which was built by a member of the Luton Model railway club of which I am a former member. After seeing this layout, it was thought a good idea to try and replicate the plan in different scales and era's,  I believe there that there are versions in  00 and N gauge and even one in Z gauge.

My version is Canadian/US based, set somewhere in Canada near the US border but not set in any particular location or era, there is a mix of locomotives from various railroads that use the fuelling and light maintenance facilities at Campbell Riverside. 

The scenic part of the layout is 6' x 1' and is on two boards for easy transportation.   It is DCC operated and at present one loco is sound fitted.

post-11882-0-56295900-1367236552.jpg

post-11882-0-15047500-1367236572.jpg

post-11882-0-16569800-1367237197.jpg

Edited by irishmail
  • Like 6

Did not mention in original write up that the layout is HO scale.

This is one on my current on-going projects.  The track plan is based on an 0 gauge layout called Swansea Riverside which was built by a member of the Luton Model Railway Club of which I am a former member. After seeing this layout, it was thought a good idea to try and replicate the plan in different scales and era's,  I believe there that there are versions in  00 and N gauge and even one in Z gauge.

My version is Canadian/US based, set somewhere in Canada near the US border but not set in any particular location or era, there is a mix of locomotives from various railroads that use the fuelling and light maintenance facilities at Campbell Riverside. 

The scenic part of the layout is 6' x 1' and is on two boards for easy transportation.   It is DCC operated and at present one loco is sound fitted.

Edited by midland flyer

• 7 months later...

Here is a couple of pics in birds-eye view which hopefully shows the track plan.

Track is Peco code 75, the plan uses two  asymmetrical 3- way turnouts.  The high level tracks are purely cosmetic,  and the track leading under the bridge to the top in the second photo goes to a cassette for swapping locos and stock.   Each road hold two locomotives.

post-11882-0-83980800-1387048586_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-82739900-1387048607_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Here is a couple of pics in birds-eye view which hopefully shows the track plan.

Track is Peco code 75, the plan uses two  asymmetrical 3- way turnouts.  The high level tracks are purely cosmetic,  and the track leading under the bridge to the top in the second photo goes to a cassette for swapping locos and stock.   Each road hold two locomotives.

I am thinking of putting this layout up for sale over the coming weeks.

Edited by midland flyer

• 2 months later...

Going to list this layout for sale, look out for posting in Classifieds section in the next few days.

Having gone through my stock list, I am going to keep hold of this layout for the time being, so first job is to get it out of storage, test run some loco's and then do a bit more scenic work, at least I will then have a layout that as they say is 'Finished, but not completed'

Edited by midland flyer

Got layout out from loft yesterday afternoon,  made temporary connection with DCC controller and test run a loco, all worked fine, and the Seep point motors had not seized up either. So next job a bit of general cleaning ,and try and work on the back scene, and tidy up the baseboard edges.  Should keep me busy for a while.

Edited by midland flyer

I have made a bit more progress with this layout.  Have installed a Lenz express net faceplate and a couple of sockets for the power bus and point motors, so will help make it easier for setting up and dismantling. Also leaves the DCC system free to use on other layouts. Next job is to get the baseboard edges cleaned and tidied up and fresh re-paint, fiddle yard board is now made and just need to make up some cassettes.  Will try and get some pictures posted of the progress in the next few days.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Here are a couple more pics showing the latest progress with Campbell Riverside.  The baseboard edges have now been tidied up and a cassette fiddle yard has been built.

post-11882-0-90897000-1405511401_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-40149500-1405511644_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve seen a photo taken at Ford’s famous “River Rouge” car plant that contained a three way point and looked remarkably similar to your layout (I can’t find the original photo, of course). Was that the catalyst for your layout as the name is similar?

Look forward to seeing a thread on your new work from design through fruition. Please don’t go over the top in using this section as an advert, though!

Cheers, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your comments.  I am not aware of Ford's 'River Rouge' car plant.  The inspiration for my layout came about when I was a member of the Luton Model Railway Club, where one of the members had an 0 scale layout called 'Swansea Riverside'  Mine is in HO scale and the track plan is based on this.

www.lutonmodelrailwayclub.org.uk/swansea_riverside.htm

Regards

John

• 5 weeks later...

A bit more progress made. A curtain drape has also been made and fixed in place with Velcro which helps make the layout stand out.  A little bit more testing before taking to first exhibition in 2 weeks time.

post-11882-0-84818700-1409413124_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,  Here are a couple of pictures of Campbell Riverside being exhibited at the Midlands Model Railway exhibition in Portlaoise on 14th September.   Was a very great and enjoyable day.  

Must give thanks to the lads at the Midlands Model Railway Club for giving me the chance to exhibit Campbell Riverside.

post-11882-0-20381500-1410782978.jpg

post-11882-0-66181200-1410782996.jpg

• Like 2

Hi irishmail  we met yesterday at Portlaoise, I was really impressed, thanks also for allowing me to try your Lenz DCC system. I have decided thats the one for me and I am going to build a micro layout as well.

Thanks to the MMRC guys for a great show.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

One area of improvement that I feel is needed on Campbell Riverside is some form of lighting pelmet.  As I have seen mentioned in other forums, exhibition halls vary in the lighting available and also where you are located with your layout makes a big difference.   Another plan I have in mind is to possibly make the single track high level road extend into the fiddle yard and through the back scène  to the back of the layout, the idea being to have a loco or short train shuttling back and forth using a time delay.  This would ensure that there is always something running on the layout, irrespective of any operation on the main scene.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Campbell Riverside will be at the St.Joseph' s Easter Model Rail & Transport show in Wexford on 5th and 6th April 2015. 

If any RMweb members are at the show I would look forward to meeting  you.

Regards

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have started to make a few alterations to Campbell Riverside, The dummy single high level track has been lifted up and is in the process of being re-laid with an extension into the fiddle yard and also behind the back scene. This will then be operated by an auto shuttle module ( from Gaugemaster) and so that a loco will shuttle back and forth in addition to the shunting moves on the main layout. Also it will ensure that something is always running at exhibitions if I m on a break. Will try and post some pics soon of progress.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Here are some pics of the work in progress to the mods on Campbell Riverside,  showing the work in progress.  Since these pics were taken, all track has now been re-laid and the Gaugemaster auto shuttle been installed and tested.  I have a little bit more work to do on the scenic side for 'view blocking' when the train's disappear through the back scene.   Hope to be at Enniskillen on 19th Sept with Campbell Riverside.  I hope to put some more pics of the completed work up in due course. 

Regards

John

post-11882-0-50770900-1440589114_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-69930500-1440589142_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-59033700-1440589176_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-95694300-1440589198_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-90691200-1440589220_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-41848300-1440589252_thumb.jpg

Edited by irishmail

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have been working on some improvements to the backscene on Campbell Riverside.   Will be exhibiting at the First Bangor Model Railway exhibition next weekend,  Fri 27th and Sat 28th.   If any RM web members are there, feel free to say Hi and have a chat.

Regards

John