For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

2014 SWAG Module Project

Tigger

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Mike that won't work , we need to keep the fiddle yards on  the same side of the room as before , just at the other other end  and

rotated 180 degrees, as you have it now the tracks will be at  the rear of the run and so totally hidden .

Just swap the two fiddle's from side to side and we have a plan . 

• RMweb Gold

Keeping my nose out, but I agree with Mike on both points above...

But, I like the overall plan, it will give a far better view of the layout ( provided there is no-one actually viewing it... :) )

Keeping my nose out, but I agree with Mike on both points above...

But, I like the overall plan, it will give a far better view of the layout ( provided there is no-one actually viewing it... :) )

Great guys, I will amend and re-post tomorrow 

Stu, your nose is welcome any time, please keep sticking it in

• RMweb Gold

I am hoping that my relocation plans for the summer will give me the space for some serious module-mania later this year. Having had to miss last weekend, I really must try to get back in 2014.

I note nobody has (publicly) suggested taking over the main hall yet, with all the other hangers-on in the small room. The piano would make a nice backdrop for a narrow gauge layout...

I hope your plans work out Travellan and module-mania grips you.

We did suggest the other year that we take over the big hall............ not sure that went down to well  :scratchhead: 

• RMweb Gold

Tigger,

Many congratulations on taking on the batten. I was very impressed with the layout this year. Is there any room for a another module? I need something to get me constructing rather than just thinking so this could be the spur for me. I will not be offended if you already have sufficient modules for 2014.

all the best

Godfrey

Godfrey please join in, we would love to have you on board

There is a choice of a corner module or a straight one. Let me know which way you would like to go (but a corner would be great!)

For your guidance the module standards are here any questions please let me know

Thanks  :locomotive:  :senile:

Mike, I'll keep my module and it will be available for 2014 but I'll be happy to make way for others if you have enough new modules offered.

Arthur

• RMweb Gold

PS Ramblin Rich has gone very quiet  :scratchhead:

"Negotiations are at a very early stage...."    ;)

I don't want to commit until I have a definite 'yes' from Sazzle regarding car usage & time of departure! It's her birthday tomorrow, so let's not do anything to upset things yet! :O

• RMweb Gold

Mike, have just had a thought...

The straight modules have the track at the front - what will be the inside edge of the 2014 layout. When the track gets to the corners, if you're planning only a 2ft x 2ft unit, the track will be a VERY tight curve !!

You need to sketch out where the track will be laid on the plan you did, to ensure you leave enough room for the curves.

Thanks Stu. I have been thinking about that and was wondering about having rectangular corner units to make the curves longer, if that makes sense!

This could be one of the drawbacks to this otherwise great idea

I will map it out in Anyrail to see how sharp the curves are and come up with a basic "internal" corner plan 

luckily we have plenty of time to get this right

• RMweb Premium

A quick 2 pence worth ,

a lozenge shape as Stu's origial plan idea might overcome this but would then impact on available length between corners

at the wall end .

or we see if we can get a couple of 'new builders ' and do a couple of revese joggle boards or indeed new corners .

Visualising in my head at the momment so no clue if it would work .

"Negotiations are at a very early stage...."     ;)

I don't want to commit until I have a definite 'yes' from Sazzle regarding car usage & time of departure! It's her birthday tomorrow, so let's not do anything to upset things yet! :O

You know she wants a module for her birthday, what else could a lady need. So that's next years pressie sorted  :jester:

Happy Birthday Mrs Rich  :drinks:

Mike, I'll keep my module and it will be available for 2014 but I'll be happy to make way for others if you have enough new modules offered.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur, your module was great

You can't have the big hall next year - I'll be in there with Shepherds - blimey - let them loose on their own and they want to take over the world !!

The world is only the start....................We have bigger plans than that  :beee:

Any way Shepherds would look great in its own dedicated room with a piano! Then we could have a long straight run and not have to worry about corners 

Cick HERE for the latest plan

To get the internal corners with reasonable radius curves the minimum size of the board is 30" x 30". This will allow an inner curve (as viewed from the "public" side) of 24" and an outer curve of 20". Whilst these are still quite tight they are greater than a 2nd radius bend which most stock should be able to negotiate. To maintain the standard track placing on the modules the corner modules need to be "staggered" as shown on the drawing. I suggest that the corner modules are angled at the front, not as shown, but I could not get the software to draw that!!

Let me know what you think

Thanks Stu. Those curves are drawn "free hand" a 4" separation would be the spec. But if we are going with Mike's (SCR's) plan, which I think is great, I can't see any other way of doing it  :paint:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stu. Those curves are drawn "free hand" a 4" separation would be the spec. But if we are going with Mike's (SCR's) plan, which I think is great, I can't see any other way of doing it  :paint:

There is another way but I think it could get  a lot more complicated and that is to put the tracks at the rear of the modules across the bottom of the 'U'.  This would ease the curves potentially but it would mean track crossing module joints at an angle and would effectively mean that each corner module would have to be it with the 3ft module that goes inside it (to allow a butt joint between the two).

I did think of that Mike but I decided to keep to the original module standards that were laid down at the start of all this so that any module could be used in any future configuration that we may choose.

• RMweb Premium

To get the internal corners with reasonable radius curves the minimum size of the board is 30" x 30". This will allow an inner curve (as viewed from the "public" side) of 24" and an outer curve of 20".

Let me know what you think

That look good , but if the inner curve is 24'' then won't the outer one be a greater radius ??

If so then that would be even better .

That look good , but if the inner curve is 24'' then won't the outer one be a greater radius ??

If so then that would be even better .

Sorry Mike, maybe I worded that badly. The curve nearest the front is 20" and the one nearest the back is 24"

Archived