For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

2014 SWAG Module Project

Tigger

• RMweb Gold

So having (been) volunteered for this auspicious post my first comment is a plea request- is there anyone anywhere who is offering to make the second corner module please?  Without it our particular fun and entertainment for the masses attending the good Captain's excellent event could be in serious problems as trains will have to jump a 3 foot gap, and it's on a curve.

Doesn't matter what theme turns you on - could be anything from alpine to Aussie outback to Welsh mining Valleys as we are already pretty diverse and you can bring your own trains to play with as well as long as they're compatible with our less than onerous standards.  And you can even cheat by buying your trains on the day from the no doubt ever helpful traders the Captain is lining up to compete with his pastie sales.

So either volunteer on here or to me by PM or if you wish to send your application in a sealed brown envelope just ask for our address.

• RMweb Gold

A corner module would be a bit awkward for me at the moment Mike, but I'll gladly volunteer to act as an assistant/gofer on the day. I'll make sure I bring a few tools and a soldering iron, as well as some strong cardboard for vertical "adjustments".

• RMweb Gold

A corner module would be a bit awkward for me at the moment Mike, but I'll gladly volunteer to act as an assistant/gofer on the day. I'll make sure I bring a few tools and a soldering iron, as well as some strong cardboard for vertical "adjustments".

Thanks Trevor - necessary tools we have found by experience include pliers and a Xuron rail cutter as well as mundane things like screwdrivers, plus spare Code 100 rail joiners and a soldering iron is always useful although I don't normally bother taking one.  The cardboard etc is essential, in varying thicknesses ;)

BTW at this stage can we please have a confirmation - in this thread - of who is planning to supply modules and their sizea.  Mine is the usual four foot straight module with shunting puzzle on top but hopefully it might no longer be winter in Narnia (although Mrs Stationmaster might object to that change after our upcoming trip to the Arctic Circle.

• RMweb Gold

Mike, thanks for taking on the role of Projektleiter for this year's enterprise. To confirm, I am building a corner unit which links with a three foot module as described in my note above. The theme is a container terminal. The 3 ft module baseboard has the connecting track laid and wired. I am now in the process of laying track on the corner unit. The plan is to use the rear of the corner unit as part of the terminal. Progressing slowly!

Best wishes

Godfrey

Mike,

I can bring along the 3' module that I built for last year if it will fill a gap. As I've said, I'm happy to make way for new modules if you've got enough, or bring mine along if it helps.

Can't help with a corner module I'm afraid as I'm away from home for most of March.

Arthur

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike. I will be bringing a 4' straight module. The scenic treatment I have in mind will give the impression of a route cutting through the edge of a town or city, so certainly not up the standard of a steelworks! Just to reiterate, I won't be offended if mine is not needed as I'm deriving a lot of satisfaction from the build.

• RMweb Gold

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for responses thus far.  To summarise the present position, going clockwise from the doors into the room we have -

1& 2.   Fiddle Yard modules - Sidecar Racer

3.         Module (is it 3 ft or 4 foot Mike?) - Sidecar Racer

4.        4ft module - Trevellan

5.      *  Corner module - Godfrey Glyn

6.        3ft  module - Godfrey Glyn

7.        3ft module - Arthur (if you would be so kind as to take up your offer please)

8.      *  CORNER  Module - VACANT

9.        4ft  module - Stationmaster 

10.      4Ft module - Tigger

11 & 12  Fiddle Yard modules  - Tigger

Note: *  A reminder that the plan for this year involves a punters in the middle U shape so the corner modules provide an 'inside viewing' aspect - not teh arrangement we have used in the past.

Outstandings -

The most critical of these is the second corner module for the 'radiator corner' and a volunteer is now urgently required before we resort to taking a saw to somebody's layout (if we can find one the right shape).

The second one is not knowing the state of play with Tigger however there is a sort of cunning plan already in mind to tackle the fiddle yard situation if that Mike doesn't get in touch but it would be helpful if anybody happens to have access to the original fiddle yard wiring drawings please.

The third one is the situation regarding Tigger's third module - which needs a little research as I can't recall if it is one that swings the main lines from fiddle yard alignment to the standard module intervals; can anyone recall if it does that before I start bashing though my pictures from past years in the hope the answer lies there?

Tools etc  - addendum.  Last year I took along a glass fibre stick and found it very useful for cleaning (someone else's) railends when we were joining modules.

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Tigger's 3rd module did indeed swing the tracks from the front edge to the middle to align with the fiddle yards. However, by off-setting the FYs baseboards from the alignment of the main module boards, you might not need this intermediate module.

As for a corner unit - the one used by the BRM guys should be switchable to be used as a internal corner - would just need the backscenes swapping round.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Yes, count me in Mike.

Many thanks Arthur.

Mike,

Tigger's 3rd module did indeed swing the tracks from the front edge to the middle to align with the fiddle yards. However, by off-setting the FYs baseboards from the alignment of the main module boards, you might not need this intermediate module.

As for a corner unit - the one used by the BRM guys should be switchable to be used as a internal corner - would just need the backscenes swapping round.

Stu

Thanks Stu - clearly my memory is not as bad as I often think it is.  I shall make inquiries regarding the 'BRM module from last year to see if it happens to be available (hopefully in time for some scenic treatment should it still exist.

But any passing readers should note - don't let this put you off volunteering to go for that corner module - we are a very forgiving bunch, it is not compulsory to be called Mike, and we will be a Stu less this year so it could be helpfully confusing if you're called Stu.  And if you contribute a module don't forget that it entitles you to various other 'benefits' assciated with the Captain's big weekend (including tea or coffee for free - unless things change).

• RMweb Premium

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for responses thus far.  To summarise the present position, going clockwise from the doors into the room we have -

1& 2.   Fiddle Yard modules - Sidecar Racer

3.         Module (is it 3 ft or 4 foot Mike?) - Sidecar Racer

4.        4ft module - Trevellan

5.      *  Corner module - Godfrey Glyn

6.        3ft  module - Godfrey Glyn

7.        3ft module - Arthur (if you would be so kind as to take up your offer please)

8.      *  CORNER  Module - VACANT

9.        4ft  module - Stationmaster 

10.      4Ft module - Tigger

11 & 12  Fiddle Yard modules  - Tigger

Note: *  A reminder that the plan for this year involves a punters in the middle U shape so the corner modules provide an 'inside viewing' aspect - not teh arrangement we have used in the past.

Outstandings -

The most critical of these is the second corner module for the 'radiator corner' and a volunteer is now urgently required before we resort to taking a saw to somebody's layout (if we can find one the right shape).

The second one is not knowing the state of play with Tigger however there is a sort of cunning plan already in mind to tackle the fiddle yard situation if that Mike doesn't get in touch but it would be helpful if anybody happens to have access to the original fiddle yard wiring drawings please.

The third one is the situation regarding Tigger's third module - which needs a little research as I can't recall if it is one that swings the main lines from fiddle yard alignment to the standard module intervals; can anyone recall if it does that before I start bashing though my pictures from past years in the hope the answer lies there?

Tools etc  - addendum.  Last year I took along a glass fibre stick and found it very useful for cleaning (someone else's) railends when we were joining modules.

With reference to above points ,

3 . is currently a 3' module with track outswing , with the plan being that we are now going to be driving from the outside

of the boards rather than the insides I think it might be an idea to rest this part , that would allow the follow on boards to be

a bit closer to the wall where the serving hatch is , and that piano if it in that corner , and also more room for me or other

operators against the wall by  the entry door . Dropping this 3' may prevent us causing a partial blockage in the doorway ,

I see from Tims room plan we have approximatly 18' from door to wall but there is a radiator fixed to the end wall .

In the outstandings ,

I am in the process of getting some photos of my yard boards and doing a simplified wiring plan for the

other yard to pass on . I will recomend going to hand operated point switching to simplify things even further

and to keep costs to a minimum if this set up is not needed on the day .

I will also be bringing a selection of tools and ' repair ' things . But I think it is a good idea if all exhibitionists

bring some for their own use .

If you need some memory joggers as  to how the last couple of years looked there are a few good photos

amoung the reports from previous shows in the RMweb events section at the top of the main page .

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to update the situation on modules and the 'volunteers producing them - going in clockwise order from just inside the double doors/servery side of the room.

Fiddle Yard - Sidecar Racer (2 modules)

Module - Sidecar Racer

4 ft Module - Trevellan

Corner Module - Godfrey Glyn

3ft Module - Godfrey Glyn

3ft Module - Arthur

Corner Module - BRM module from last year 'redeveloped'

4ft Module - Stationmaster

? Module - Andy Y

Fiddle Yard - Andy Y (2 modules)

PLEASE SHOUT if I have got any of the above wrong or caught you unawares of what have previously been listed.  Now what we need to do now is rope-in the Managing Editor as in a job like his he's bound to have plenty of time on his hands .. er ... cough ... splutter but it would be nice to see Ben and hopefully bringing along some toys from the review box for us to play with (unless they're being raffled of course!).

Now a further thought which those involved, and others(?) might like to consider.  Although we only have a one day event running the modular layout can mean that folk have limited time to see the rest of the goodies the Cap'n has kindly laid on for our edification and amusement so instead of a bit of informal 'I'll do this for now' would the moduleteers (in particular) think it might be a good idea to establish a roster as to who will be covering the fiddle yards (if nothing else) when? Others might also like to volunteer if the module owners are happy about leaving their bits of railway in a stranger's hands - that is where I will be guided by their views.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The final countdown begins.

Firstly would all module participants please confirm here or by PM to me that they are fully on course with modules as listed in the post above (17 March) apart from Mike Sidecar racer who will now be bringing only the two fiddle yard modules from his end as discussed at Melksham.

I addition to your modules will you please have ready -

1. One set of connecting leads to join your module(s) electrically to the adjacent person's modules (and a set to go between your own modules of course where you have more than one).  I know these have not always been needed in the past but they are a sensible insurance policy.

of 

2. Two lengths of Code100 track approximately 4" in length (and of equal length) to join your module to the next person's plus additional lengths to join your own modules to each other.  And rail joiners of course!

3.  Any tools you consider necessary but I have found the following useful in the past - Xuron rail cutters, screwdrivers, pliers, glass fibre brush, scissors, pieces of card/cardboard packing to help level adjacent modules.   Sticking plaster might be a good idea in my case to avoid blood on the floor after 'an incident' with a rail joiner last year.

4.  I am thus far assuming - which might be dangerous - that the controllers for the through movements will be included with the fiddle yards - if they are not then please shout.  if anyone else requires mains power for their module please advise.

Rolling stock is very much a free for all provided that it fits British loading gauge and will run on 16.5mm gauge track.  Note however that the 'water troughs' on my module can bring to a halt anything with low ground clearance in the four foot, e.g a Kernow Beattie Well Tank.

Any questions please raise by PM

Edit to correct typos

• RMweb Gold

More or less on schedule here Mike. A bit more grassing to do, plus shrubbery and other detailing, but it should be presentable for Sunday. As for me, that's another matter. ;)

Thanks Trevor - I had in mind progressing the season on mine but for some totally unaccountable reason I've finished up not only retaining the snow but making a few (minor) changes to it and at least my high level shunting quiz (it's hardly a puzzle) passed it's running test today notwithstanding lashing of paint on the rails yesterday.

• RMweb Gold

Quick tip/ reminder to all moduleteers - it can be very helpful to make sure the through line rail ends on your module, where the bridge pieces attach, are nice and clean in order to ensure best conductivity and help with the mating processs.

My ends are already very clean, thank you.

I seem to recall that in 2012 under the previous Modulemeister, his Royal Stubbiness, the most interesting part of the mating process was coping with the surprising number of variations of 4" rail heights :D

• RMweb Gold

2012 was the first attempt - 2013 was a lot better.

No doubt you've all followed Arthur's 2013 example for 2014 - bespoke flight case to music industry standards, adjustable feet at each corner of the module, etc., etc.

It's also important to make sure your two 4" bridges are both the same 4" long, and that they too are clean.

But of course, I'm teaching granny here...

• RMweb Gold

2012 was the first attempt - 2013 was a lot better.

No doubt you've all followed Arthur's 2013 example for 2014 - bespoke flight case to music industry standards, adjustable feet at each corner of the module, etc., etc.

It's also important to make sure your two 4" bridges are both the same 4" long, and that they too are clean.

But of course, I'm teaching granny here...

I've just spent all afternoon making sure my two 4" bridges are the same 4''  (well about 3.25" in the end if I were to be honest, and they are very clean, or they were when I packed them for transit - wherever that is?).

Archived