an EAR Class 59 Garratt in H0m

Fedor

Hi,

I picked up an interest in modelling in an African theme. And when modelling in an African theme you can not escape the omnipresent Garratt engines. 

Unfortunately the well known manufacterers do not offer Garratts, and a few smaller manufacterers only offer Garratts that are either very expensive or are modelled after a british prototype. 

My conclusion therefore was that I had no other alternative then to scratchbuild my own Garratt. And when I'm at it I thought I'd go for the biggest of them all: the EAR Class 59

garratt_ear.jpg

First I messed with existing TT scale engines but it was too hard to find two similar engines that looked like the chassis of the Class 59. So after hunting ebay and other second hand markets for a few months I gave up and decided to design and build my own chassis and body parts.

The chassis is an etched brass chassis, the well known book of Iain Rice helped me a lot.

garratt_etswerk.JPG

garratt_chassis2.JPG

The hardes part of the design is the Walschaerts gear. But it also was great fun learning step by step how it actually works

garratt_valve3.JPG

The body part is designed in 3D using SketchUp. When done I will send it to Shapeways to have it printed.

garratt_shapeways2.jpg

Currently I'm concentrating on the body parts. The chassis is not fully assembled jet, but my local reseller has trouble getting the necessary parts and tools. 

@Paul: Yes I have. It's not going too fast due to technical problems I had this week with my Ubuntu-Wine-Sketchup-setup but the maior outlines are there:

garratt_shapeways3.jpg

I checked out native linux 3D programs but I either found them too complex for my use so I'm glad I've got sketchup running again. I hope the good people at Trimble will put out a linux version soon.

Hi Fedor,

Great to see this, and it looks like you've made some great progress! I'll be watching the thread to see how you get on. Might even be interested in a set of parts if you're interested in selling any! The 59 is a suberb prototype to do, very best of luck with it.

As you'll have seen from the thread posted by Grovenor, I've had a crack at a RR 15th class garratt. Currently not much happening on it as family is taking priority at present.

Regards

Richard.

• RMweb Premium

Very good to see somebody having a crack at one of these great beasts. They are one of the few steam loco classes I saw in "real" service, or at least that I remember seeing. I was 6 years old when we went on holiday to Kenya in 1966 and dad took me to Nairobi and Mombassa. I was too young to remember which place it was but I remember standing next to a wonderful red loco, with two sets of wheels. There are some photos in the family archives somewhere but I have no idea where they are. The other loco I recall seeing was a German built tank loco as station pilot. It was something like an 0-10-4 built by Henschel but it was a long time ago and I was very young, so the details are a bit hazy now.

Good luck with the build and I hope to revive some memories from it when I get to see it on a layout!

Tony

@Ben: Thanks. I'm considdering selling it as a kit. Since the components are reproducable it would be a waste just to make a single loco. It might also help me funding the next project. I have now developped a love for Garrats and would like very much too make many of them available to other enthousiasts.

And hopefully I make some money that will get me to Nairobi to see Mount Gelai in real

I think the next model will be a South African GMAM... and there are many more to build.

@Stadman: They did, but they are very expensive. I think it should be possible to make a kit available for half that price. (which imo is still quite a lot of money)

The new parts and tools are in! Now I can pick up working on the chassis. Currently the cylinders are giving me a headache, the plating was designed a bit to narrow for the cylinder length. It takes a lot of extra solder to fixate it:

garratt_cylinders.JPG

The mid segment is coming along quite nice: the chimney and the dome are there, and the cabin now has windows. I also corrected some minor flaws. The bad thing is I have no drawings of this particular engine so I do a lot of modelling by estimating and measuring from old photo's. The dramatic and artistic perspectives and framing do not always help to get the right measurements. The remedy I rely on to get it as accurate as possible is to measure from as many photo's as possible to eliminate errors.

garratt_shapeways4.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

it has been allmost two years since my last post on this topic and I want to let you all know I did not give up - I just could find enough time to write updates in English and working on my project while not neglecting my kids, wife, job as an IT Manager and comedy writer. So I went for building...

I left you with some updates on my progress on my first etched chassis. In the meantime I have been experimenting with a 3D-printed chassis. This was not a very great succes: 3D printing makes it possible to add a few more details to the chassis but the result weighs far to little and did not have the right mechanical qualities to assure a good functioning chassis. 

So I went on improving my etched chassis. The first version had some errors in it and lacked details. I also had not thought through the construction for the motor as well. Having only 7.5mm inside the frame using commercial motorframes was not an option. So I developed my own frame:

P1000623.jpg

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=44727.0;

This worked out quite well and I now have a running chassis that I can build on! I've made a short film that demonstrates the chassis in some test runs.

http://youtu.be/BXgZqgsCTbc

Wow, Keith, this one truly is great! This EAR Diagram book, where can I find it?

You had to visit the HQ in Nairobi in the 1960s/1970s to buy it from them!

1970 in my case, here's a pic of the other side so you can see where the compressors were hung on.

G5910-1.jpg

Regards

Keith

Since the diagram book is not readily available*, there are redrawn GA drawings of East African Railways locos and rolling stock are included in Ramaer's "Gari la Moshi" (an expansion of the author's earlier work "Steam Locomotives of the East African Railways").

*Some societies (e.g. The Stephenson Locomotive Society) have library copies available to their members for browsing/borrowing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the upper parts are almost ready to sent to the printer. I am realy looking forward to see this project nearing completion though I sure had a lot of fun designing and building.

I just calculated that with printing, parts and etching - and all the stuf I messed up in the process - the costs are nearing a €700... 

post-19098-0-59459200-1422701507_thumb.jpg

post-19098-0-61859600-1422701508_thumb.jpg

post-19098-0-56132300-1422701509_thumb.jpg

post-19098-0-16261600-1422701510_thumb.jpg

post-19098-0-44683400-1422701511_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

So, this project is nearing it's completion. 

I was very pleased with the level of detail 3D printers can handle nowadays. Below is the result of printing in Shapeways Frosted Ultra Detail. FUD however is not very strong. The cabs and cylinders therefore are printed in Strong & Flexibel Plastic.

post-19098-0-86281700-1429589703.jpg

I am quite proud I got the walschaerts valve gear working. 

post-19098-0-22261500-1429589703.jpg

This version I call my 0.9 version. I made a few improvements and will build a final version. 

post-19098-0-26133100-1429589704.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lyonesse

Well done with the class 59, although could you tell me what HOm standards are?  Having built a couple of BG Indian locos I would very much like to try some EAR MG in 4mm P4 (13.12mm gauge).  Lack of information is my main excuse, but you've shown what can be done with determination.

The only EAR model I can recall seeing was a 7mm model of one of the 2-8-2s, built for a clerical gentleman and described in the old Model Railways, sometime in the early 70s.

So, this project is nearing it's completion. 

I was very pleased with the level of detail 3D printers can handle nowadays. Below is the result of printing in Shapeways Frosted Ultra Detail. FUD however is not very strong. The cabs and cylinders therefore are printed in Strong & Flexibel Plastic.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150406_080139.jpg

I am quite proud I got the walschaerts valve gear working. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20150406_075349.jpg

This version I call my 0.9 version. I made a few improvements and will build a final version. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20150406_075249.jpg

• 6 months later...

Archived