1991 VIA Rail LRC vs. CPR MLW near Head On Collision

sjgardiner

So, this started making the rounds on Canadian Lists today.  A 1991 near head on collision between a VIA Rail LRC locomotive with three coaches and a CPR freight switching job which had ventured beyond where it had permission to be onto the mainline.  Fortunately, disaster was averted by a quick thinking VIA Crew putting the brakes on emergency as soon as they sighted the freight, and the freight crew attempting to back away.  As you can see in the video, despite almost being stopped, the VIA engineer bails at the last minute rather than ride through the collision, though its not a very graceful leap.  What amazes me is the dumb luck that someone actually caught this on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1q9eBaWY3k

The description of the incident from others:

Via David Parker, Dan Dl'Uo, & David Graham on Facebook:

This incident took place on February 6th, 1991 at mile 33.79 of the CN Smiths Falls Subdivision in Smiths Falls, Ontario between a CP train and a VIA train. The locomotive types of both trains have not been in service since the 1990s. The Canadian Transportation Safety Board report number for this incident is R91H0206, entitled "Canadian Pacific Limited and Via Rail Inc. near collision, Mile 33.79, CN Smiths Falls Subdivision, Smiths Falls, Ontario, 1303 EST, 06 February 1991" although the report is unfortunately not on line.

-Stephen

Also, i knew the Daily Mail was a rag, but this was pointed out to me on the weekend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316622/Commuter-train-narrowly-avoids-near-fatal-head-collision-freighter-driver-jumps-train-save-himself.html

I love the breathless reporting on a 22 year old incident, not to mention the scores of errors (not a commuter train, couldn't figure out what railway was involved, etc) and then calling CPR to see if they wanted to comment on it.  I'd doubt anyone in CPR's PR department that they may get on a cold call would have been around at the time or have any clue what they were talking about.

Good laugh for a Monday morning that needed it.

Archived