Model Buses

Bartb

I've tried going back through the thread, can't find any reference to Ralph Jackson? Also, as I'm not a MBF member I'm restricted to buying from them I've searched their links too with no success.

Stewart

I don't know how he goes about advertising the bus parts range. He trades under 'Regent III Models' and I suspect his customers get to know about the range by word of mouth. He was well known in railway modelling circles when he traded as Jackson-Evans nameplates, which are now with Modelmaster. I am reluctant to give a phone number on a forum, so PM me if you have difficulties.

Larry Goddard

• 2 months later...

Is there a source for 1:50 London Transport transfers? I have a Solido RT that is a bit the worse for wear and needs new ads and destination,well the whole lot actually.

TIA

David

Hi David.

I have sorted out some transfers for the Solido RT.

The original destinations and ads plus an additional Brymay from another bus.

There will be two sets of London Transport side  logos pus a Route 30 which will look better as the Rt blinds are too narrow [they must have measured a roof box bus and decided that it was too restrictive , you can still see the marks on the roof dome ]

I made a wider blind from card with the transfers cut as needed, just guessing the dimension.post-19753-0-90520300-1426263387.jpgpost-19753-0-99639100-1426263403.jpg

The other has a roof box available way back when with the correct blinds.I did look for a roof box, but no luck.

I don't think anything is available now.

e mail me- deeslexia@icloud.com. or PM your address and I will send them out.

Regards

dee

Hi David.

I have sorted out some transfers for the Solido RT.

The original destinations and ads plus an additional Brymay from another bus.

There will be two sets of London Transport side  logos pus a Route 30 which will look better as the Rt blinds are too narrow [they must have measured a roof box bus and decided that it was too restrictive , you can still see the marks on the roof dome ]

I made a wider blind from card with the transfers cut as needed, just guessing the dimension.attachicon.gifrt 1.jpgattachicon.gifrt 2.jpg

The other has a roof box available way back when with the correct blinds.I did look for a roof box, but no luck.

I don't think anything is available now.

e mail me- deeslexia@icloud.com. or PM your address and I will send them out.

Regards

dee

PM sent.

Cheers,

David

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the bump, but as the owner of the prototype Rochdale Regent on the previous page, I just want to stop by and congratulate coachmann on his excellent models. The prototype is shown below, click on the image for a larger version. I think you've captured the feel of the thing, well done.

Paul

15177288252_bc9a7525e5_n.jpgRochdale 235, Trans Lancs Historic Vehicle Show, Manchester, September 2014 by Paul Williams, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

I see that B T have issued two Red & White Bristol double deck buses. Please could someone confirm whether these are OK to use on a BR steam era layout? 

Also I cannot find a list of bus routes on the internet for the company so where did the 76 route start and why has the 147 Abergavenny route blind contain Badminton? The latter is a long way from its destination. 

Thanks

I see that B T have issued two Red & White Bristol double deck buses. Please could someone confirm whether these are OK to use on a BR steam era layout? 

Also I cannot find a list of bus routes on the internet for the company so where did the 76 route start and why has the 147 Abergavenny route blind contain Badminton? The latter is a long way from its destination. 

Thanks

Can't say anything on the destinations but the buses are Bristol LDs, introduced around 1953, so fine for BR steam era. They lasted into the 70s although this scheme was replaced with NBC poppy red after 1973.

Grahame, I thought maybe P & D Marsh or Graham Avis might have done one, but a quick search didn't find any Titans, They do have a Mk2 Metrobus, which is near contemporary with the Titan but would probably not be easily modified to look like a Titan, but could provide you with a shell framework to scratchbuild some sides and ends on.

That's the best i can come up with at the moment, but the model bus scene is constantly changing, particularly on the N scale side so if you wait a little, who knows what may turn up.

Thanks. I have been looking and checking with the usual suspects but hoped someone would know something I didn't.

If I wait, three might suddenly turn up together but in the end waiting just means we are all dead.

I've got the Metrobus but it is no good for converting. In N gauge the models don't have a 'shell framework' that is useful for scratch building. Sides, ends, floor and a roof is basically all you get. You might just as well scratch build the whole thing.

A Titan does seem a major omission. Sigh.

G.

http://modelbuszone.co.uk/

A good refence point for model buses, all known diecasts & kits listed, also liveries. Well worth spending some time on the various pages.

Thanks.

Interesting, but I can't seem to find anything about N gauge Titans. In fact that site doesn't readily indicate the scale. Am I missing something or do I assume they dont exist?

G

It's probably because the (B15) Titans weren't made for very long or for many customers even though LT bought a large fleet. If there was a Leyland Olympian that could make a good starting point as the window bay layout and overall profile were the same, at least on the normal height version (early ones were low height). At the moment the only Olympians are the Hong Kong 3 axle versions with Alexander R type bodies.

The Titan was a pretty square box shape, vertical to the bottom of the upper windows which angled in slightly (Metrobus and most Fleetline/Atlantean bodies tended to have the taper starting around half-way between the lower and upper windows), so not too hard a shape to scratchbuild. For the roof I'd start with a 4mm van roof as that should have about the right curve for the top, rounding the edges with a file to create the domed look for the Titan.

Thanks Bernard. I have thought about scratch building one but ideally I'd like a few of them and that puts me off somewhat. I'll have a look at the 3 axle Olympian as I've got a few of them and did manage to convert one to a two axle version.

The Titans might not have been made over a long period but certainly seemed to be in use for quite a long time - I understand the last few London Titans were running in the 2000s and presumably those sold on to provincial users also kept on going for a while.

G.

There are a couple converted to open top (with a simple roof on that!) running around Melbourne on sight-seeing tours. The open sided roofs were a requirement for running under the tram overhead wires. they would almost certainly be ex-London buses but I don't know their original identities.

One is pictured on this web site: http://www.spencersguide.org/2013/10/open-top-bus.html . The distinctive rear window "tunnel" has been filled in for some reason.

• 4 months later...

post-6680-0-75167900-1451322444.jpg

I have only just revisited this thread and so missed this post. Thanks for your comments. When I had SHMD Daimler No.60, the Crossley Omnibus Society was affiliated to the Bury group and the chap that owned tis AEC Regent also purchased fire engines. I remember the bus well, as it was always one I wished I owned! The Rochdale livery was one of the best in the country IMV. The closest I got was driving an ex City of Oxford Regent V (exposed radiator) every day in the early 1970's.

• 3 months later...

I'm feeling the need to scratch build a really OTT curvy 'art deco' coach (of the kind I drew out to 4mm scale in post #30 above) now I'm getting to the end of clearing out my pig sty workspace.

post-21705-0-41887800-1461664999_thumb.jpg

I am wondering what might be the best way of updating my 1940/50s method of making a 3mm timber floor/chassis structure with wheels, seats and steps; cutting out card body sides with a scalpel, pre-painting, layering and forming up sides with glazing laminated in; gluing together with Evostick around the chassis and glueing in a thick timber roof pre shaped to the 3D profile.

It was a technique learned from the old 'Lineside' plans sold for vehicles like the AEC Q Greenline coach; LT Leyland cub interstation half decker and Glasgow Weymann AEC, all of which I built before going 'off road' making my own creations.

The drawbacks were rather erratic window openings - especially when radiused, and rather grotty sanding filling and making good of radiused body curves.

Surely there must now be better techniques to apply to scratch building:

• should I get a cutter or laser to cut card or plasticard more uniformally?
  • is it worthwhile commissioning an etch for bodysides/body mouldings from an ACAD dwg file (they seem possible for about £40)
  • likewise 3D printed details like mudguards, mirrors, safety rails/skirts?
  • pre-printed vinylfor bodysides instead of painting?

Can anyone advise please? There does not seem to be any literature/web info on scratch bus modelling, just adaptation of diecasts or kits.

dh

Archived