Wheel diameters for North Staffs Class A/B 2-4-2T

smyles1

Please can anyone tell me what the wheel diameters are for a North Stafford Railway Class A/B 2-4-2T? I have acquired a part built etched brass kit that does not have any instructions or prototype information. Searches on the computer have not been successful although I found photos.

Thank you,

Mike

As built, the A class 2-4-0Ts had 4'6" driving wheels and 3'5" leading wheels.  After rebuilding as 2-4-2Ts, they were 5'1" and 4'1" respectively.  The B class were likewise built as 2-4-0Ts, but retained their wheel sizes (5'6" and 4'0") after rebuilding as 2-4-2Ts.  There are further dimensions (but no drawings) in "North Staffordshire Locomotives - An Illustrated History" by Ken Hopkins.

The quick answer without reading through all the details is: According to 'North Staffordshire Locomotives - An Illustrated History' by Ken Hopkins (Trent Valley Publications 1986, ISBN 0 948131 16 6 (hardback) or 0 948131 14 4 (softback)) the original Class A 2-4-0T as built had 3ft 5in leading wheels and 4ft 6in driving wheels. As rebuilt to 2-4-2T they had 4ft 1in leaders and 5ft 1in driving wheels. Class B had 4ft 0in leading wheels and 5ft 6in drivers in 2-4-0T and 2-4-2T formats.

• 2 months later...

Hi. Just read this thread. If this is 7mm scale then it may well be one of my Kenscale kits, (Well out of production now). If it's the 2-4-0T it will be the Class B. Later converted to a 2-4-2T arrangement.

I have a set of instructions and drawings in the kit I found on ebay recently. I will be starting the build later this month. (I never kept a built up model for myself as I sold up prior to emigrating to the USA)).

Is this the loco?

post-150-0-49584000-1372796743_thumb.jpg

Archived