The Great Central in and around Nottingham

Mallard60022

Save away Phil.  If you're interested to see how he's done any particular location, just ask and I'll post a screenshot. 

Or buy Trainz from here http://www.simulatorcentral.com/index.php/trainz/all-trainz/trainz-simulator-55.html for AU$19.95 (about £13), then download the route "GCR Version 2" by pflindley for free!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

hope it is alright to add to this thread after such a long time dormant. I have an interest in railway computer simulation and Nottingham Victoria. This is a screenshot of our version of Victoria station and the North Signal box (not in place on the route yet) using the Railworks TS2014 simulator. We are making the GNR Derbyshire and Staffordshire extension to Derby. 

10266833745_a502320459_c.jpg 

10427410606_9fe0bc517f_c.jpg

Edited by briyeo
  • Like 6

A few more work in progress screenshots, we are looking at a 2 year long project on this route. Thanks to DaveF for all the amazing photo references from his fathers collection posted on this site 

10746762864_5f3ddeb71a_c.jpg10746659015_52f089bf84_c.jpg

Edited by briyeo
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...

An interesting thread and I do like the effort that has gone in to Nottingham Victoria. I see that this thread is mainly about the GC and there was a mention of Netherfield Lane and the singling of the Gedling branch. Can I point out that the line wasn't singled during 1966 that was done during the early 1971. When Colwick closed during 1970 the breakers moved in and dismantled the yards between Colwick North Junction and Rectory Junction rendering the Gedling Branch purely under the control of Netherfield Junction. A single line token was used and bi directional running from the former junction at the east end of Netherfield & Colwick station to as far as the crossover adjacent the box where the signal fixed at Danger once stood.. Netherfield Lane became a unmanned gate box with it original unaltered 4 gate double track crossing. It was operated by the duty shunter who would travel by van from Nottingham to Netherfield Lane Crossing and open the box to allow the train up the branch and off of it when it arrived at the Home and fixed Distant. This continued until the box was closed during early spring of 1983 and the gates and box abolished to be replaced by an automatic open level crossing. This did catch out a bus driver not long after the new crossing had been commissioned on the Number 46 route when his Nottingham City Transport Double-Decker was hit broadside on and shoved for over 25 yards towards Netherfield Junction by a pair of Class 20's with a loaded train for Spondon coming off the branch. This wouldn't be the last time something like this were to happen as there was a car hit and dragged by a train heading towards Gedling in 1990, yet again a pair of Class 20's with an empty M.G.R train to a car out driven by a driver that hadn't long passed her driving test. The crossing was never upgraded and with the closure of Gedling Colliery in 1991 the line was mothballed and fell into disuse. It wasn't until 1999 E.W.S invested money along with Railtrack to upgrade the line in order to extract coal from the slag heaps at Gedling. Netherfield Lane crossing was also upgraded and gates were installed 8 years after the original crossing gates were abolished along with the box! The reason long gates were installed was to ensure that line was protected from all road traffic and pedestrians with the overlap when closed to rail traffic. This is because the gate posts are closer together covering a single line formation as opposed to the original double track.

A little bit of useless information for you! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

What fantastic graphics.  I am mostly a Midland man but went to Uni for a year at Nottingham in 1971/72.  Weekday Cross closed part way thorugh the year and I've got a photo of it after the track was lifted with a board saying 'Goodbye Great Central We won't forget you."   I also went to the coach station at the Victoria Centre and walked around the underground car parks wishing that tracks still ran through there.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've asked a question on this photo here http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?serial=35&img=G-241-09, but its worth asking here, I'm not sure if many are looking at the older photos on the RCTS Mystery site.

Victoria Station was closed Sept '67, but my copy of the signalling diagram for Trent PSB (1969) as here shows a double line continuing to Trent Lane.

post-1762-0-94530600-1389570184.jpg

As double freight lines were relaid in the east side of Victoria Station during demolition (lasted until May 68), and the signalling diagram would be produced well before implementation in Sept 69, can anybody confirm if it was intended to retain this double line all the way from Colwick through Victoria?  Why was the plan abandoned (and the Vic Centre foundations extended all the way across the Vic Stn site)?

Edited by DavidBird
  • Like 1

As I understand things, the goods lines through Victoria were retained for iron ore workings. These stopped shortly after the demolition of Victoria, so the tracks through Victoria were no longer needed.

A connection was required through Trent Lane until 1969 for empty DMUs going to and from Arkwright Street to run the service betweenArkwright Street and Rugby. These reversed at Weekday Cross.

Edited by Orinoco

• RMweb Gold

As I understand things, the goods lines through Victoria were retained for iron ore workings. These stopped shortly after the demolition of Victoria, so the tracks through Victoria were no longer needed.

A connection was required through Trent Lane until 1969 for empty DMUs going to and from Arkwright Street to run the service betweenArkwright Street and Rugby. These reversed at Weekday Cross.

After closure of Victoria to passenger trains, there were a pair of freight lines laid on the eastern side of the station for the existing freight traffic, which consisted of some 30 t0 40 workings a day. In the pre elf n safety days this traffic ran whilst actual physical demolition was taking place. As well as the iron ore trains, although by this time I'm not sure whether these were running or not due to the importation of higher quality iron ore from abroad, there were coal trains from the pits north of Nottingham to Colwick yard, Linby, Annesley, Silverhill are the pits that spring to mind, all running as 9DXX. These tracks lasted less than 6 months before complete closure of Victoria.

Not being a local lad the above is what I have learnt from other sources, if anyone can fill in the gaps I'd be most interested.

Mike.

There's a sad missed opportunity currently being built south of Nottingham,  The Nottingham NET tram network is being extended (hooray)  but its southernmost terminal is to be a 'park-and-ride'  car park  in the middle of no-where much.  Its  not as near as it could have been to the northern terminal at Ruddington of the current The Great Central Railway (Northern).  Which would have provided a cross platform interchange for trains to  Loughbrough (the missing link bridge will be built fairly soon)  and Leicester North, providing

extensive commuting opportunities.  So much for joined up planning. .

I believe Ruddington was accessed by reversing in the tunnel at Weekday Cross until the Loughborough connection was put in during the 70s, and parcels work continued at London Road Low Level until well after that.  Not sure though if these were accessed from Netherfield Junction or whether another connection was put in nearer Nottingham. 

If the tramway had served the northern limit of the GCR(N) at Ruddington (where there is no useable station) then it would have missed the much larger settlement of Clifton or at least served parts of it less closely and all of it less directly.  I read somewhere that GCR(N) would like to extend northwards to a new tram interchange just south of the A52, which would seem to be a better solution, although the likely interchange site is one of the most environmentally sensitive parts of the tram route.  Parts of the route in between have reverted to agriculture so this would be a major undertaking. 

• RMweb Gold

There's a sad missed opportunity currently being built south of Nottingham,  The Nottingham NET tram network is being extended (hooray)  but its southernmost terminal is to be a 'park-and-ride'  car park  in the middle of no-where much.  Its  not as near as it could have been to the northern terminal at Ruddington of the current The Great Central Railway (Northern).  Which would have provided a cross platform interchange for trains to  Loughbrough (the missing link bridge will be built fairly soon)  and Leicester North, providing

extensive commuting opportunities.  So much for joined up planning. .

The termination of the Beeston/Chilwell route misses the proposed HS2 line by a mile or so, it would seem consistency is the keyword.

Mike.

The P&R will be at the end of the dual carriageway part of the A453 when the current work is finished, so creating an incentive to use it rather than driving on through Clifton village. 

The Nottingham tram pre-dates HS2 but everyone seems to be agreed that a short extension from Bardills Island to the HS2 terminus is worth doing.  It certainly gives  better access to western Nottingham but with 16 stops to the city centre it needs to be supplemented by a heavy rail shuttle too. 

• RMweb Premium

Ruddington was accessed via Weekday Cross until the new link at Loughbrough was built in I think early 1972.   The tracks were lifted when i was at Nottingham Uni between oct 71 and June 72.

Jamie

• Like 1

Ruddington was accessed via Weekday Cross until the new link at Loughbrough was built in I think early 1972.   The tracks were lifted when i was at Nottingham Uni between oct 71 and June 72.

Jamie

Are you sure about those dates, Jamie? I lived on Wilford Lane in West Bridgford for a short time in the winter of 1973/4 and worked at the university. I have definite memories of seeing Peaks on the GC line when walking along Wilford Lane in the morning on the way to work.

If the tramway had served the northern limit of the GCR(N) at Ruddington (where there is no useable station) then it would have missed the much larger settlement of Clifton or at least served parts of it less closely and all of it less directly.  I read somewhere that GCR(N) would like to extend northwards to a new tram interchange just south of the A52, which would seem to be a better solution, although the likely interchange site is one of the most environmentally sensitive parts of the tram route.  Parts of the route in between have reverted to agriculture so this would be a major undertaking. 

The current northern limit seems to be a few yards north of the Fifty Steps footbridge.  Now I can't find a link, but I've seen somewhere that Clifton Road bridge across the line at Ruddington has been strengthened and rebuilt (unlike Ruddington Lane in Wilford, which was demolished and replaced by an  embankment) The spans were formerly double track on each side of the island platform, but have been rebuilt with a single-track width span on each side.  But here http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/DMS/Document.ashx?czJKcaeAi5tUFL1DTL2UE4zNRBcoShgo=tRlxAAjNfJM8mXbibqYlb%2BMtvcWE54ZdyC5GStCYnMFQAJ%2B7AC1lvw%3D%3D&rUzwRPf%2BZ3zd4E7Ikn8Lyw%3D%3D=pwRE6AGJFLDNlh225F5QMaQWCtPHwdhUfCZ%2FLUQzgA2uL5jNRG4jdQ%3D%3D&mCTIbCubSFfXsDGW9IXnlg%3D%3D=hFflUdN3100%3D&kCx1AnS9%2FpWZQ40DXFvdEw%3D%3D=hFflUdN3100%3D&uJovDxwdjMPoYv%2BAJvYtyA%3D%3D=ctNJFf55vVA%3D&FgPlIEJYlotS%2BYGoBi5olA%3D%3D=NHdURQburHA%3D&d9Qjj0ag1Pd993jsyOJqFvmyB7X0CSQK=ctNJFf55vVA%3D&WGewmoAfeNR9xqBux0r1Q8Za60lavYmz=ctNJFf55vVA%3D&WGewmoAfeNQ16B2MHuCpMRKZMwaG1PaO=ctNJFf55vVA%3D and http://www.nottinghampost.com/Bid-turn-railway-land-cycle-path/story-20326635-detail/story.html seems to say that recently (December 2013) the land was being sold to EMRT (new name for GCR(N) Ltd), but a cycle-track and footpath may upset things.  But all is definitely not lost for a linkup with a new tram stop near to Clifton Blvd. Could tram planning not have made a space for a stop to be incorporated in the future?  At least, with it being a tram, not heavy rail, adding a stop in the future should not be too much of a problem.

Edit:

Here's the google maps aerial view of the agricultural section of the line north from Ruddington.  Obvious from the air if not from the ground!

post-1762-0-00802800-1389736472.jpg

Edited by DavidBird

• RMweb Gold

I've asked a question on this photo here http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?serial=35&img=G-241-09, but its worth asking here, I'm not sure if many are looking at the older photos on the RCTS Mystery site.

Victoria Station was closed Sept '67, but my copy of the signalling diagram for Trent PSB (1969) as here shows a double line continuing to Trent Lane.

attachicon.gifToTrentLane.jpg

As double freight lines were relaid in the east side of Victoria Station during demolition (lasted until May 68), and the signalling diagram would be produced well before implementation in Sept 69, can anybody confirm if it was intended to retain this double line all the way from Colwick through Victoria?  Why was the plan abandoned (and the Vic Centre foundations extended all the way across the Vic Stn site)?

The original plan was to keep the lines through Victoria open until around 1970 and close them after Trent Power box was complete. However the traffic was falling off rapidly and I am sure the Victoria Centre developers made is worthwhile to BR to close the line early before they had got too far in the building process.  Even though most of the traffic went in May 68 the GN line between Netherfield and Trent Lane remained in use until Jan 1970 when it was closed along with the remaining signal boxes on the GC and the remaining lines singled.

Somewhere on the RCTS site there is a reference to this by someone much more knowledgeable than me - I will try to search it out later today. 

Rob