Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - Wishlist Poll 2013

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to the team for arranging the poll again. 

I am disappointed that yet again the Gresley V2 has not featured highly, although Bachmann now has an excellent chassis the body falls far behind the other excellent LNER designs available. It is a significant locomotive for all of us who model NER and ScR. I would be interested to see how many votes it received, if that is not too much trouble.

With regards to how the poll could be improved, from speaking to other customers at my local model shop it is clear that in the hobby we fall into two main camps - modellers who model a specific location at a specific time with accurate stock to suit, and those who enjoy running whatever suits their fancy, locomotives and stock they are interested in, regardless of region, era, etc.

Thanks again for providing the poll and letting us have a say in the hobby we love so much!

Hello Btourer

Many thanks for the kind comments.

In 00, the V2 polled 118 votes (placing it in the 'middle polling' segment - albeit at the very top end). It is slightly higher in the LNER steam loco category than last year. Overall, it is in about the same place top-to-bottom compared to last year.

The Poll has to appeal to modellers (of all levels of experience) and collectors. The 'combined volume' approach seems to work and we have had more voters this year. The Poll's simplicity is a virtue. We (as a Team) took a conscious decision to not have a box for 'I would buy ___ examples of this model'. 

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

The Poll has to appeal to modellers (of all levels of experience) and collectors. The 'combined volume' approach seems to work and we have had more voters this year. The Poll's simplicity is a virtue. We (as a Team) took a conscious decision to not have a box for 'I would buy ___ examples of this model'. 

I think this approach works well and I agree the format works well. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the poll team for their hard work. :good:

I can't see many 8P's and P2's flying off the shelf. Not compared to the likes of say a J27 or A8 if they were ever considered.

I think you underestimate the appeal of the original P2.  It was an iconic loco that regardless of 'modelling interest' attracts many people.  For example, I model the S&D in the 1960s and I'm very particular and only buy stock that ran on it then, but I'll buy Cock-o'-the-North and have allready worked out my excuse for running it !.   

However, I'll never buy any other ex-LNER loco, and thats not because I don't like them.

• RMweb Gold

I think this approach works well and I agree the format works well. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the poll team for their hard work. :good:

Many thanks, Matt

Your work on the NGS Passenger Brake Van helped us to slightly revamp the GWR PBV section to good advantage.

Hello Btourer

Many thanks for the kind comments.

In 00, the V2 polled 118 votes (placing it in the 'middle polling' segment - albeit at the very top end). It is slightly higher in the LNER steam loco category than last year. Overall, it is in about the same place top-to-bottom compared to last year.

Brian,

Many thanks for providing the information on the V2.

Regards,

Colin

• RMweb Gold

I think you underestimate the appeal of the original P2.  It was an iconic loco that regardless of 'modelling interest' attracts many people.  For example, I model the S&D in the 1960s and I'm very particular and only buy stock that ran on it then, but I'll buy Cock-o'-the-North and have allready worked out my excuse for running it !.   

However, I'll never buy any other ex-LNER loco, and thats not because I don't like them.

Dear All

Combe Martin's post sums up nicely why we can't differentiate between 'modellers' and 'collectors' (or other such distinctions, along the lines of 'prototype modellers' and 'run what I like'). He has been able to say what he wants to see made and will buy, although he is neither an LNER modeller, nor 'collector' (in the multiple sense).

The P2 was 5th in the LNER steam loco category and overall well inside The Top 50 in 2012 (and was announced by Hornby last December). 

• RMweb Gold

A look at the 00 ‘High Pollers’ from a different angle

Those of you who enjoy looking at the Wishlist Poll Results from different angles may like to have a look at the attached 2pp PDF in respect of the 00 steam era ‘high pollers’.

It clearly shows where voters’ preferences lie with wheel arrangements etc. Notice how many named 4-6-2s are in that segment!

Brian Macdermott (on behalf of The Poll Team)

00 Steam Era 'High Pollers' of The Wishlist 2013.pdf

• RMweb Gold

A look at the 00 ‘High Pollers’ from a different angle

Those of you who enjoy looking at the Wishlist Poll Results from different angles may like to have a look at the attached 2pp PDF in respect of the 00 steam era ‘high pollers’.

It clearly shows where voters’ preferences lie with wheel arrangements etc. Notice how many named 4-6-2s are in that segment!

Brian Macdermott (on behalf of The Poll Team)

That is a fascinating distribution - it also seems to suggest that Bachmann are also currently hitting the right sort of spots marketing wise although obviously only in respect of the sort of folk who responded to the poll although the 4-6-0s do include some 'big' engines.

It also tends to perhaps confirm the fact that there simply aren't many pacifics left uncovered in the market as it stands.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Mike

The other pacifics that we had listed were:

GWR: Great Bear

LMS: Princess and Duchess

LNER: A1/1, A2/1, A2/2, A2/3

BR: Duke of Gloucester (two tender types)

Martin,

What I was meaning by my post is an individual may buy one P2. They may buy 2 or 3 J27's, different liveries/ numbers, for example. More scope to sell more and covering development costs. There was one Duke (8P) when you have one, you are very unlikely to get another.

My other issue is that we don't all construct mainline layouts! More smaller locomotives would be useful. The amount of new micro layouts we see on here would show demand for small to meduim size locomotives.

• 6 months later...

If you model the S&D your going to need an awful lot of LNER engines... a Q6 for example... :declare:

On a more serious note, its interesting to compare where the Heljan annoucements fit in with the results from only a few months ago. Those selected by Heljan dont appear to be the highest choices on the wish list at all. In light of this, does it mean that the others above them are all possible... or do we think Heljan is gambling with the selections announced recently...

• RMweb Gold

Hello Black Hat

The Poll in conjunction with MREmag and RMweb has only been in existence since 2012, and the first set of results was published just over 18 months ago. I think it is fairly well accepted that – generally speaking – models take 18-36 months in R&D.

Since publication of the 2013 results, the following have been announced:

Three items from The Top 50;

Two items from the ‘middle polling segment’ (one of which was Heljan’s 1366);

One item from the ‘lower polling segment’ (but this was not from any of the ‘major’ manufacturers).

We have yet to hear Hornby’s announcements and – if they are true to form – there will be at least one in The Top 50. And Bachmann don’t announce until just before the 2014 Poll. Usually, something also gets announced at Ally Pally.

... Those selected by Heljan dont appear to be the highest choices on the wish list at all. In light of this, does it mean that the others above them are all possible... or do we think Heljan is gambling with the selections announced recently...

One would guess that Heljan take in far more than the wishlisting in making their choices. Dealers they consistently do good business with would be my top suspects for making input that 'gets heard'. If one or two of these outfits say 'we can shift hundreds (or possibly thousands) of these, no bother' you simply have to listen.

I have been interested in the wishlist surveying for a while, in terms of whether it has an effect. I have monitored the 2009 output, just the 'top 70 places' cut. Now, I think we may assume that some of the wished for items may already have been on the 'to do'  lists of one or more business, but now four years later over half of the 2009 top 70 items are available, and eight are announced, some near enough to production to have had development samples exhibited . That does suggest to me that the wishlist input is getting looked at.

I think manufacturers treat such polls as an indication of current trends rather than a guarantee of future sales. I doubt they would overturn their schedules on the basis of such polls but I am sure they use it to inform future R&D.

I always have a feeling that certain groups block vote for their favourites.

Certainly individuals vote for their favourites, that's the point.

There was some effort a few years ago around a 'get out the vote' campaign for locomotives from the LNER (and it's constituents and antecedents.)

In general I think that most of us are cantankerous enough to vote for what we personally want and it's not a coincidence that the voting patterns of people who model a particular region will have many things in common.

From the 2012 poll, Andy shared the voting distribution - in this case how many people each cast a particular number of votes. There was zero apparent evidence of bloc voting in that result.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived