Sandwich & Ashford Model Railway - Running Session Videos

Hi all,

Back in January i began building the Sandwich & Ashford Model Railway Layout.
The layout is within my garage and can be folded away up against the garage wall.
Using the Bachmann DCC Dynamis system all trains are fitted with decoders.
The layout plan, which i am finally satisfied with, has been attached below.

post-18424-0-68908200-1367529979_thumb.png

The layout has been designed to be 2 layouts in 1 using the partition of a bridge between the sections.
The Ashford section is a station area scene and the Sandwich section will be a TMD scene.
Up to now i have began on the Ashford section, starting on the Sandwich section later.
The partition bridge is completed and the platforms for Ashford have been made and completed with
lights and Bachmann art deco platform buildings included. Work in progress :D

All this can be seen in the April & May 2013 Update on YouTube link below.

http://youtu.be/JJnUpRhxbLM

Any comments and ideas for some of the small scenic areas on the layout are welcome :D

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by Sandwich&AshfordMR

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is slow at the moment due to exams but in my breaks between revision i have had

some thoughts on some small scenic ideas for the Ashford section of the layout.

These include some houses which are set back onto the railway with some gardens and a busy entrance scene to the station.

Still thinking of some possibilities surrounding the car park and the corner area at the controlling end of the layout.

Attached the picture of the layout to give some reference for the sizes of the areas.

post-18424-0-85569800-1368383704_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions? :)

Cheers Matt

Guest oldlugger

Nice work Matt. Representing two locations in a small space like this is indeed a challenge visually and scenically. Your road in the centre is a good idea but I think it could do with an additional scenic break, like a low backscene above it (say about 6 inches high) which goes round both sides of one half of the layout (preferably curved rather than angled at the corners), leaving the front area clear for viewing (so effectively a "U" shaped backscene). The backscene could be on both sides but obviously with different locations. That way you, or others will get the feeling that each half actually goes somewhere. If the layout was higher up, closer to eye level, this effect would be greater still. Looking down onto a tail chaser style layout never looks very convincing in my opinion. Obvious things like track painting and weathering, then ballasting (also with weathering) would enhance the overall effect, plus some vegetation suitable for an urban station area. Have a look at prototype southern region stations around the London area on Flickr, for example, for inspiration. If it were me I'd carefully weather some of the rolling stock too.

All the best

Simon

Edited by oldlugger
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reply Simon.

The only issue with an additional scenic break above the road is that the layout folds away against the wall in the garage where the plastic sheeting is in the picture. The problem with it folding away means the height clearance between board and wall is about the height of the road partition. :( The possibility of building some 'banners' for the scenic backgrounds and attaching onto the edge of the layout only when it is down may work?! I agree it would look much better with the higher backscene as can be seen in the video that the view of the layout should exclude the garage surroundings!! The layout is actually very high of the floor as a sofa is hidden underneath it! The backscene could also be added to the garage wall on one side or the shelving on the other to look like a distant scene behind the bridge. I can upload some pictures of the layout up away against the wall and the possibilities of where to add the backscenes for a better visualisation.

The idea of the tail-chaser layout could basically end up as a 'train set' look which is not what i am aiming for so many thanks for your suggestions. This is my first attempt at a layout but at the same time i wanted to be able to just watch different scenes on the layout whilst not needing to operate the trains.

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Few pictures have been posted, one of the layout in the 'down' position for playing viewing towards the wall where a scenic background could be added on the wall behind and one of the 'up and away' position for storage. This gives a better representation of the height issues for scenery on the board when 'up and away' against the wall and scenic background problems i may have around the perimiter of the layout. Any other solutions or thoughts to these issues are welcome :D.

post-18424-0-51248300-1369258902_thumb.jpg

post-18424-0-11523400-1369258922_thumb.jpg

Cheers Matt.

• 3 weeks later...

Some work to the car park area since the update has occurred and with the modern fencing in, I have chosen to take out the walling around the edge of car park and road as the modern fencing does the same job and too much in such a little space will look overcrowded. So the grass area will remain with a few trees and merge into the road and car park.

Attached is a picture of the current modern fencing progress situated next to the bay platform.

post-18424-0-02432200-1371064438_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of progress over June has almost filled up the Ashford section of the railway. The area between the bridge, railway and station entrance is completed with all the basics. A Deal signal box by Hornby has filled the corner nearest the control panel and a mini building is situated behind the Station building wall. All the new features are showed in the July Update video below. Any suggestions for improvement or ideas are always welcome :D

Cheers,

Matt

post-18424-0-29254000-1372969964_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

A trip to Hattons and Penketh Model Rail Centre has meant some purchases for the layout and especially the corner at the end of the Ashford section in the only empty space left in that section. Have to say Hattons cupboards were pretty bare for modern image stock, don't know if it's the time of year models sell through?! But I bought scenery items from Hattons with a Bachmann Low Relief Rear of Terraced Houses and a Stagecoach East Kent Bus made by Britbus. Penketh Model Rail Centre was in an unlikely location amongst a housing estate but the owner informed me saves paying the high street rent. Extremely friendly atmosphere within the Penketh Shop, even though they were having a huge move around. From the shop I bought two hitachi coaches to make up the full set for the Hitachi Class 395 001. Enjoyed my trip out on a lovely day and since I have set out some plans for the garden plots of the houses and provided a bit of 'photoshop' to draw on the gardens onto the picture below. A little bit of garden design and a track access road down the side will then complete the basics for the whole of the Ashford section.

post-18424-0-09426100-1373619340_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This looks very good :) Like the idea of fitting two scenes onto one board, very clever. Will be following this with great interest! 

Forgive me if I have missed it but how have you done the markings in the carpark? They are very good :)

Thanks, Oli

This looks very good :) Like the idea of fitting two scenes onto one board, very clever. Will be following this with great interest! 

Forgive me if I have missed it but how have you done the markings in the carpark? They are very good :)

Thanks, Oli

Thanks for the kind comments Oli :)

I have mentioned the making of the car park in my comments on a youtube video but not on here.

The kit used is a Road Scene Kit I got off ebay which included a car park, roundabout, bus stop etc. This kit is self adhesive and allows also for some 'kit bashing'

to suit my needs around that section of the layout. Any marks or blemishes of glue on the car park will be eventually tidied up with some spare standard road sections

I still have left over. The markings can also then be adapted by using the white lines from the side of the road. Provided a link for you below of the kit I bought :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/66mm-Road-Layout-to-suit-OO-Gauge-Hornby-Skaledale-etc-/271237619746?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f2705a022

Hope that helps and explains things, Matt

• 3 weeks later...

The houses and gardens scene at the end of the Ashford Section is now complete and in place, next to this will be a track gang scene alongside the lineside hut. All the minor details are still to add in the Ashford section but the basis for all this is now complete. All is explained further in the video :)

Cheers, Matt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mini Update - Back from holiday and plans are to commence work on the livery application to the Southeastern Electrostar Project. The August Update is uploaded                         on Youtube and I am now able to answer any questions or comments or ideas you may have for additions to the Ashford or Sandwich sections.

Cheers, Matt.

Took a trip to Hattons on Tue and picked up a few small taxis and a network rail van along with a new DCC system to replace the Bachmann Dynamis I was using. Been testing the capabilities and ease of use of the new system on the layout and I can say it can only improve my layout. :D so watch this space In the September update when the system and its benefits to the Sandwich & Ashford Model Railway will all be revealed in just over a week today!!

Matt.

• 3 weeks later...

Took a trip to Hattons on Tue and picked up a few small taxis and a network rail van along with a new DCC system to replace the Bachmann Dynamis I was using. Been testing the capabilities and ease of use of the new system on the layout and I can say it can only improve my layout. :D so watch this space In the September update when the system and its benefits to the Sandwich & Ashford Model Railway will all be revealed in just over a week today!!

Matt.

Some point decoders have been installed into the layout with more to do yet and some streetlights added to the Sandwich & Ashford bridge with some backscene testing also going on, lots of progress to be made in the next few weeks. The tour of the layout at its present stage is now available underneath.

Lots to do with another video on trains running and the Hornby elink in mid September.

Cheers Matt,

• Like 1

Take a look here.....I have 2. to convert....................

http://www.wellsgreen-tmd.co.uk/omwb.htm

attachicon.gifrmweb1.JPG

I hope you can just about make out my attempt at the Electrostar project in the background, currently it is now undergoing the livery application and hopefully to be revealed soon as the named Medway Valley Line 375304 car Southeastern unit.

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing special happening on the layout but around the layout the points have been connected up to accessory decoders and added into the Railmaster system for Sandwich & Ashford Model Railway. Route setting for the loops is now possible and talked about in my video on the Elink and Railmaster DCC system below.

Happy to answer any questions about the system.

Cheers,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I reached 100 subscribers on youtube and for those members on RMweb who have subscribed I would like to say a huge thank you.

I have compiled a compilation of the updates to create the 'story so far' video below for those who are not quite familiar with the layout.

Progress on the layout is going forward with the tricky and technical conversion of the Traintronics signals being able to be used with the standard accessory decoders and linking them to the railmaster software. Other areas being worked on is the backscene behind the station in which it requires a sky behind the scene of row of terraced houses. Lots of developments planned for the remainder of the month and an update on progress will appear in due course with some latest pictures.

Cheers.

• Like 1