Sandwich & Ashford Model Railway - Running Session Videos

Lots of presents for my birthday has meant many small and other large additions to the layout. Ashford station is beginning to be more populated and looking more realistic. Bought some more scenic items since my birthday which will be added in between the October update below and the November Update. Hope you enjoy the new update in HD with my new camera!

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The scene outside the station entrance has changed dramatically and all scenery is stuck down and in place.

People have begun populating the Ashford section and some signs for the station platforms have been made too!

All can be seen in the latest layout update below.

Plus, there is the small matter of a Southern Class 171 arriving to the layout :D

• Like 2

David Todd:

Was hoping,you would have photographed your Electrostar,update with it............ :paint:

With a lot of help from 'mum the artist' on the livery application the end of the cabs for the Southeastern Electrostar 375 are nearly complete. The doors have received their yellow paint and also the steps in a silver. Also complete is the yellow line above the first class area.

Other areas still to complete on livery include orange line along the whole of train with another silver line above, the black outlining of all the doors and cab windows and finally the covering up of the windows of the 375 in a black reflective self adhesive. One final touching up of the white around areas that have been painted will hopefully complete the livery application except for transfers of Southeastern and the first class writing and numbers etc.

Some pictures below of the continued progress.

post-18424-0-56596500-1384212621.jpg

post-18424-0-07667000-1384212630.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A well earned break form Uni work and normal work on Saturday meant the annual trip to Warley Model Railway Show at the NEC.

I arrived at the NEC for the opening at 9:15 and headed straight for the Bachmann Stand and eventually got to the front of the packed sardines to grab a Network Rail Class 57 for £50.

After that experience I moved onto other traders such as Hereford MC, Cheltenham MC, Hornby, Heljan and Dapol in an attempt to find other bargains of interest to add to the Sandwich & Ashford Model Railway

Not finding anything suitable I went off towards other traders and then came across a pair of Colas 47's reasonably priced at £95.95. Knowing the rarity of these from Ebay I snapped them up and on inspection found they were ViTrains Ltd Edition pair made for Rail Express. Very happy to have paid that price and basically under £50 a train!

The next stall of call was the Traintronics stand to pick up the signal gantry lights and I did in the end purchase all 4 of their 2 aspect stock for the two sets of gantry signals for the Ashford station and saved on postage! :D

Lunch was next after going around the trader stalls and pondering on my purchases I decided something was required to accompany the Network Rail Class 57 on the layout so I headed back to the Dapol Stand. Did some bargaining and came away with 4 Network Rail JNA Wagons. 

Now some of these purchases are Christmas Presents to be! So some may not appear in updates for a while but in the meantime for the afternoon at Warley I videoed all the Modern Image layouts for a video soon to go on Youtube after editing. It will appear within this blog very soon.

Further to that video I promised a video on the Traintronics signals which when I am putting the next signals in I will video this at the same time and this should be uploaded around 1st week in December. Then for middle of December the plan is to do a Christmas Update!.

Lots planned along with a Website Update on Rolling Stock and Pages to come.

Cheers :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not much has happened on the layout due to loads of uni coursework and busy working schedule.

However, I managed to put together the second part of the Warley video.

Furthermore I have completed the signal gantry at the one of the Ashford platform!

With completing this signal gantry I have done a video on how to dcc traintronic signals which are 2 aspect for use with the elink.

Any questions feel free to ask. :D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A few evenings on the layout has resulted in tidying up the TMD concreted sidings and constructing the carriage cleaning steps!

The four TMD lines have the yellow lines painted to warn workers around locos moving.

The far right TMD line will see the addition of a fuelling point and moveable inspection steps will be acquired for the other lines.

post-18424-0-78890900-1388703972_thumb.jpg

Cheers :D

• Like 3

For the next two weeks I will be revising and then taking my January exams so not much work will occur on the layout during this time. So here is the latest on the work I have done since the new year.

I began with the TMD area and tidying up the appearance in terms of straightening the edges and adding into the rear corner to allow for a wall to be put up at the end of the TMD sidings. This wall will then remove the appearance of the curves around the layout and hide the bridge entrance behind, whilst also providing a backdrop to the TMD.

The yellow lines around the sidings are now complete along with some refuelling points installed on the siding nearest the wall. Some fuel tanks will eventually appear alongside the refuelling points. A CR signals tower floodlight has also been added to the TMD which provides not too much or not too little light for the TMD.

Pictures of progress below...

post-18424-0-14696700-1389352866_thumb.jpg

post-18424-0-95596400-1389352870_thumb.jpg

post-18424-0-48402200-1389352875_thumb.jpg

post-18424-0-00988300-1389352879_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The second layout day was Friday, it went very well until I tried to connect the point motor decoders to the elink software. To be sorted in the future I think as I plan to continue with the scenery work over today, tomorrow and Wednesday. I did also scrape the polyfiller out of the sleepers and paint them black again where appropriate and hopefully completing lighting of buildings and platforms along with cable trunking ready for ballasting.

Something productive completed on Friday was the January update:

• Like 2

The third day on the layout has involved a lot of gluing. Gluing the cable trunking, signals and paths around the Sandwich section. The art deco signal box has been installed with lights and in place. Typically that side of the layout looks like a work in progress site and I thought i'd like to share the changes amongst the mess.

post-18424-0-41183000-1390859902_thumb.jpg

post-18424-0-59255800-1390859914_thumb.jpg

• Like 1