Hello, I've now got to the point where I thought I'd start my own layout thread and share some progress. I've been into model railways since I first started noticing trains where I grew up in Blythe Bridge on the North Staffs Derby Line, my first train was a little Hornby black tank engine, some wagons and a circle of track. As I grew older I dabbled at building my own layouts but never got any further than a bare baseboard and some track. Now I'm a little older and hopefully a little more wiser I thought I'd have another crack at building my own (serious) layout and stop playing trains on the carpet.

Having first lived in Tipton before moving to Pendeford during my Railway career, I developed an interest in the Wolverhampton area and for one of my earlier layouts I imagined a fictional joint line built by the GW/LMS running from the Grand Jcn at Fordhouses via Pendeford to Oxley to enable a connection to the Wombourne line, along this line would be a small yard serving some local industries, hence the name Pendeford Sidings. I've always wanted to return to this idea and with a move to Newhaven six years ago our new house had a sizeable spare room, unfortunately other more pressing priorities dictated that my model layout took a back seat until of March this year when under orders from SWMBO I employed a professional

carpenter to build my baseboards. With the baseboards complete I've added the board for the elevated section and cut the approach ramps from plywood, I've also slowly started obtaining Peco Code 75 track and made a start on adding a bus feed for my Roco multimaus controllers.

The layout will have an elevated section to enable me to give the trains a longer run, on this elevated section will be a Glass works requiring trains of sand as well as coal for the boiler house that supplies steam for the factory, traffic out will be conveyed in vans, the other industry on this section may well be a Tar distillers to take advantage of those Hornby Midlands Tar distillers wagons, the lower level on the main baseboard will be the location of Pendeford Sidings, a small fiddle yard will be on the board on the opposite wall with the trap door.

My aim for the layout is too depict the period from 1966 to 1974 and to enable me to run block trains into Pendeford sidings where they will be broken up and sorted into their respective trips for the two industrial concerns.

I hope you enjoy the attached pictures and I hope to keep adding updates as I make some progress.

post-10101-0-65788500-1367613562_thumb.png

post-10101-0-12079600-1367614582_thumb.jpg

post-10101-0-65869200-1367614641_thumb.jpg

post-10101-0-21985900-1367613556_thumb.png

post-10101-0-83794700-1367615387_thumb.jpg

post-10101-0-97953100-1367616019_thumb.jpg

Regards

Simon

Edited by bescotbeast
  • Like 5

Hi, that's a good looking room and very neat.

The track plan will give a nice long run but the only thing I would say is to try and loose some of the strait track into gentle sweeps and reverse curves if you can.

All the best

Andy

• Like 1

do you have some 'inspirational photos or links you can share of where and when you are thinking'.

Andy

Andy the area I'm dabbling with is Pendeford, North of Wolverhampton and just off the Stafford road 

post-10101-0-10564900-1367619746_thumb.jpg as I say it's fictional so I don't intend adding any "real world" locations

Hi, that's a good looking room and very neat.

The track plan will give a nice long run but the only thing I would say is to try and loose some of the strait track into gentle sweeps and reverse curves if you can.

All the best

Andy

Thanks for the comments Andy, that track plan was a very poor representation I knocked up in paint to give me an idea of how to do the elevated section, the curves will be 4th and 3rd radius. I don't intend running any fast trains it will mainly be for trip freight pottering from one point to another.

Simon

• Like 2

Well I've made so more progress, I've now added the bus feed all the way around the layout

post-10101-0-10777300-1367757613_thumb.jpg

as well as a start on the track work on the high level section, this will be the site of Hickmans Glass Co sdgs.

post-10101-0-13139700-1367757709_thumb.jpg

It's slow progress  :drag: as I'm having to fit it in around my shifts and wait for track etc to arrive in the post.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4

Hi Simon, Freight is certainly more intersting than Passenger and you can use a better verity of Motive Power.

I will keep checking in.

Andy

Thanks for checking in Andy and I hope that's a fresh brew in the mug  :jester: , couldn't agree more on the freight interest although i have got a few Bachman MK1s and some parcels stock that I intend to run through once in a while.

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Simon,  

Nice looking railway room you have there. Looks to be progressing well. Split levels is something I thought about with my layout but never got round to doing it.
Are the buildings in the last picture kit or scratch built?

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

Thanks for checking in Andy and I hope that's a fresh brew in the mug  :jester: , couldn't agree more on the freight interest although i have got a few Bachman MK1s and some parcels stock that I intend to run through once in a while.

Simon

Simon I too have a love of Parcels Traffic and I have just weathered a GUV for an article for RM which will be in towards the end of the year but I am just about to put a pic of the finished on on my Loch Leven site.

Andy

• Like 2

Simon I too have a love of Parcels Traffic and I have just weathered a GUV for an article for RM which will be in towards the end of the year but I am just about to put a pic of the finished on on my Loch Leven site.

Andy

Andy I'll be sure to check the pictures out, I'm always ready to learn something new.

Hi Simon,  

Nice looking railway room you have there. Looks to be progressing well. Split levels is something I thought about with my layout but never got round to doing it.

Are the buildings in the last picture kit or scratch built?

Cheers

Scott

Thanks for the comments Scot it's been tricky adding the high level section but it should make for some intersting running as both incines are quite steep,by the way your Redbrook thread helped pass a good chunk of my Night shift last night following all your ideas and changes ;o).

The buildings are Walthers Cornerstone products which are very adaptable and the range is hugem, they even do a steel works with a coking plant, maybe an idea for your next addition to Redbrook?

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Simon, looking forward to watching this develop, very envious of your railway room!

I like the block shelf as well, is that original?

Cheers, Al.

Thanks for dropping by Al, yep the Block shelf is from Littletons Sidings as well as a Signal mans locker, I've also got a booking desk from Bescot Up Hump.

I'm currently waiting for some more bits to come from Gaugemaster and Hattons and I'm also working late turn which means there won't be much progress until I switch to Nights on Friday.

Simon

Well the postie arrived just before it was time to leave work with another delivery of points for the elevated section, so with an early start tommorow I hope to make some further progress.

Simon

Well after a fairly busy day laying cork tiles and track, adding point motors and then trying my hand at wiring up the frog feed to my SEEPs I've nearly completed the track for the Upper level, the only outstanding track work left to do is the Boiler house road and the Tar distillers sidings, then I'll need to finish wiring the points as the upper section will be virtually inaccessible . Once that is done then I can turn to laying tracks on the gradient sections.

post-10101-0-85923800-1368214838_thumb.jpg

D3108 (needs renumbering to a Bescot engine) shunts some parcels vans on the warehouse road.

post-10101-0-50948300-1368214977_thumb.jpg

A view showing the end of the room which will be taken up by the glass factory.

post-10101-0-16810800-1368215025_thumb.jpg

A view showing the other end and my cat "Jocko" who has learned how to jump up and take advantage of this part of the spare room.... :nono:

A test run of my Jocko found only one short and it wasn't on the single slip :sungum: , I'll fix this tomorrow once I finish my post Nights nap  :drag:

Regards

Simon

• Like 6

As somebody who lived on Rake Gate Estate I looked at Pendeford sidings with interest.

You may not know it but it may not be as fictional as you think.

In the "Railway to Wombourn" by Ned Williams (i.e the Oxley-Kingswinsford branch frrom Aldersley)

there was a plan to cross over the Shrewsbury line and join the Grand Junction railway at Elston Hall (nearly Bushbury)!

Another proposal was to join the GWR at Oxley but continue eastwards crossing the stour valley line, the Bushbury spur, the

Grand junction line and meet up with the Cannock Chase and Wolverhampton Line (which wasn't built).

So where we lived could have been quite different.

Good luck with the project.

Edited by bob hughes60
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info Bob, I knew I was on the right track  :sungum: . Anyway I've spent the afternoon repainting Bachmans shunters cabin (Bescot North end cabin) into its 70s colour scheme 

post-10101-0-74652100-1368653719_thumb.jpg

post-10101-0-83192300-1368653755_thumb.jpg

Inspiration came from this superb 70's view of the North end of the down yard. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_marshall_7099/8305508784/

A little touching up to do but I'm pleased it looks different to the default model now.

Simon

Edited by bescotbeast
  • Like 6

You'll need a collection of motheaten old office chairs lined up outside for the sunny day snap breaks!  It's surprising how a repaint can change the look of these models although I quite like the Bachmann original "Staffordshire Blue" style brick colour.

The 08 was a tight fit in the backdrop building!

• Like 2

Mark, given time I do intend adding a shunter or two in the porch area as well as some tail lamps, a bench seat would also be a good idea. I changed the colour of the bricks as I've got a colour picture of this cabin and it's companion being built in the 60s and the brick colour appears to be a honey colour.

Simon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Long overdue update on my progress, as the upper part will be virtually inaccessible once i add the side sections I need to make sure all the electrics work before I can progress onto the lower level. The track feed wires have been completed and point motors added as well as Micro switches to enable me to have point detection. I'm now waiting for my chippy to come back round and build me two control panels ( i wont horrify RM Web members withe pictures of my previous attempts :O ) . Once i have control panels I can start wiring my points up and testing all is well.

post-10101-0-16501600-1372088683_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Simon

• Like 1

Whilst waiting for my "tame" chippy to come and build my Control panels  I've been keeping myself busy painting and adding 3 link couplings to some wagons I'd built a while ago, I've also been creating the back story to Pendeford sidings and its associated branch with a trip notice and a map from the front of the 1971 Freight WTT now altered to show my branch :sungum: .

post-10101-0-30007400-1372573684_thumb.jpg

Simon 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well after the visit of my "tame" chippy I thought i'd share a picture of his work for me

post-10101-0-22144000-1374061453_thumb.jpg

i'm really pleased with the look and all I need to do now is a pay a visit to B&Q for some wood paint and then i can start the slow process of wiring the upper level points up.

When I have something more to show I'll post another update

Simon

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Right some progress to report 

post-10101-0-20089800-1376938549_thumb.jpg 

I've now wired my points up on the upper level which thankfully work with no issues to report. So I have now turned my attention to adding point indications.

post-10101-0-56983200-1376938904_thumb.jpg

I will admit to having some help and assistance from "Jocko" the cat. Seen here snoozing betweens jobs.

Simon

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

I've now got track laid down the steepest of the two inclines and across the hatch and onto the fiddle yard board. The bottom of the incline needs adjusting slightly as when I run my peak over it the rear bogie derails but i'll come back to that another day as I'm enjoying having a longer run for my trains at the moment.

post-10101-0-39688400-1377853059_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Simon

• Like 5

Hi Simon, Just been in for another up date and it is looking really good mate, I do like the idea of the map, it give a purpose for the train movements. Yes you will need to sort out that graidient as it looks awfully steep. The wiring is sorted so at least you can have a PLAY and relax whilst working out the next step.

Good luck and please keep the pics coming.

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

Andy you're right it is steep but my test trains have got and down ok the only problem is my transition, Bo-Bos are fine it's when you get to Co-Cos and 1Co-Co1s that i'm having the trouble as the rear bogie derails, as you say I'm enjoying having the extra track to run my dusty trains on but I know with some thought I can make this better :mail: . The gradient the other end is much smoother as I didn't have the lift up section to contend with and having ordered some track this morning I hope to tackle this next over the coming weekend.

Anyway thanks for the visit and keep the comments flowing.

Simon