Hi Simon,

Did you get my e-mail on the Sprog? Any help?

Fleet is looking good, didn't realise you had 4 gronks!!!!!! :O

Jinty ;-)

Couldn't resist it, it was for sale in the Classifieds section and after you'd shown how easy it is to hardwire a Bachmann non DCC fitted 08 I had to get it. The plan is to repaint it as 08834 for use in the yard 

8833682728_dcd67ac794_b.jpg08834 Ripple Lane Depot 171087 by honeymonster37, on Flickr

Nice update plenty of motive power there

David

Thanks for having a look David.

Edited by bescotbeast
  • Like 4

Hoping no one gets bored with more shots of my Class 85, here it is in the vicinity of the PSB showing off the retaining walls now clad with Metcalfes engineering blue brick wallpaper

15840929910_14810dc177_b.jpgPendeford PSB view by bescotbeast, on Flickr

I've got a gap just over 1 1/2 inch behind the elevated track and I'm wondering whether to add a low relief building and maybe an 80's billboard to add to the period atmosphere??

15408550883_bb48c489ab_b.jpgAnother view of the 85 by bescotbeast, on Flickr

15840752878_884b70d15a_b.jpg3 quarter of 85110 by bescotbeast, on Flickr

Still some more walls to add the brick paper too but it's brings back memories of the area around Stoke station and Sideway.

• Like 7

I'd be a bit wary of billboards, for one thing the advertising people choose their locations very carefully based on socio-economic and demographic information on the passing "eyeballs", and thanks to us planners, the general reduction in the number of billboard sites since the introduction of advertising consent means they want to target those sites where the biggest number of people will be passing and where they can sell the space for the biggest bucks.  I doubt they would target a freight only line with no scheduled passenger services, and no adjacent main road.  The other thing is the adverts will date.  You'd struggle to find an ad campaign that would allow you to vary the date of operation over a long period should you wish to, unless you were less anal about such things.  This is the problem I'm struggling with for the shed layout, I want the AC electric layout to represent 1961-2006, which means I will probably have to have swappable signage and advert hoardings to help create the sense of a place in time.  Gill Sans nameboards would be fine up to 1967-9 but I'd need Rail Alphabet after that date, and ads for "Pepsident" and "Capstan Full Strength" would be great for 1961 but by 2006, it's more likely to be cars and bras.

I think low relief buildings to help create a sense of an industrial area would be a good move, or even a backscene with some buddleia and shrubbery growing and spilling over the top of the wall.

The venerable Dapol, nee Airfix, semi detached house makes for a passable inter-war Council house of the sort that sprung up all around Wolverhampton.  Being relatively cheap, they could be an option.  They would be great to detail up and you would find a Council estate fairly close to an industrial estate in that area, in fact it was the expansion of Pendeford with housing schemes that killed off the old airport of course.

Actually, thinking again, if it's only an inch and a half, why not a photo-real printout of a building with a yard backing onto the line, in which you could park lorries and stuff?  A steel stockholder's yard and a printed shed would add some interest, perhaps with a security gatehouse leading to an industrial estate road at the top? You could probably use some of the MSTS textures as a source of suitable material for printing out.

• Like 1

Actually, thinking again, if it's only an inch and a half, why not a photo-real printout of a building with a yard backing onto the line, in which you could park lorries and stuff?  A steel stockholder's yard and a printed shed would add some interest, perhaps with a security gatehouse leading to an industrial estate road at the top? You could probably use some of the MSTS textures as a source of suitable material for printing out.

I would Mark but the space I've got tapers to nothing by the top of the gradient (say's a lot for my track laying). I'm just after creating a backdrop for that area of the layout as at the moment it's the colour of the wall where as the rest of the scenic area I've got blue painted hardboard.

1961-2006, which means I will probably have to have swappable signage and advert hoardings to help create the sense of a place in time.  Gill Sans nameboards would be fine up to 1967-9 but I'd need Rail Alphabet after that date, and ads for "Pepsident" and "Capstan Full Strength" would be great for 1961 but by 2006, it's more likely to be cars and bras.

Or the wonderful 'OXO' family with the late great Linda Bellingham!!!!!!!

I would Mark but the space I've got tapers to nothing by the top of the gradient (say's a lot for my track laying). I'm just after creating a backdrop for that area of the layout as at the moment it's the colour of the wall where as the rest of the scenic area I've got blue painted hardboard.

How about a nice view of the rear of terraced houses on photographic backscene???

Have a look on Wrexbury, just above the cutting (where I take most of the photos) is the very said backscene!!!!

Done by ID Backscenes.

Jinty ;-)

As I hinted earlier another loco has joined the Pendeford fleet 47594

16079137341_3269fb1260_b.jpg47212 by bescotbeast, on Flickr

It started out as a secondhand chassis block from Ebay followed by a body-shell from the same source, this prompted me to source some spare bogies from Howes and a search to find a suitable use for this triple grey body-shell. The answer was 47594 in Thornabys FMYT Metals pool but with the added bonus that it's got ETH so it can cover the ECS workings etc besides steel trains.

15893779640_8b9c7fefbc_b.jpg47594a by bescotbeast, on Flickr

Also I've finally finished the transfers on 37511 

16055271126_14dd6ba0f7_b.jpg37511a by bescotbeast, on Flickr

Work has also continued in cladding the retaining walls in the brick paper which I've almost finished.

Merry Christmas to you all.

• Like 8

594 is a great addition Simon. 511 looks nice now too, your fleet is certainly growing. Maybe Santa will bring more goodies????? :imsohappy:

Have a great one.

Jinty ;-)

Thanks Jinty, fingers crossed Santa does stop by at our house.

15908965479_1e051fded8_h.jpgChristmas at Pendeford 241214 by bescotbeast, on Flickr

15908822139_a222ff62e7_b.jpgEllesmere to Pendeford feeder service by bescotbeast, on Flickr

15906867208_78a52f9ec8_b.jpgTarget 34 241214 by bescotbeast, on Flickr

16094304525_d39c98d761_b.jpg85110 ECS by bescotbeast, on Flickr

• Like 9

Hi Simon,

Merry Christmas.

The new loco's look nice, I do like 47594 I think there were a few ETH 47 painted in triple Grey. The last pic of the 85 passing the car park is superb.

All the best Peter.

Hi Simon,

Merry Christmas.

The new loco's look nice, I do like 47594 I think there were a few ETH 47 painted in triple Grey. The last pic of the 85 passing the car park is superb.

All the best Peter.

Morning Peter and Merry Christmas to you and your family, thanks for the comments on the new loco and you're right having flicked through my 1988 ABC there were some ETH locos in Rfd colours allocated to Tinsley so this may be a future project, just need to find another cheap Heljan 47 on Ebay.

The 85 shot is inspired by the many great shots I see from Llanbourne :declare: , I just find it difficult with the layout being up against the wall to find good vantage points to place my camera.

Simon

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just a brief catch up and update, I've not done much with the layout since Christmas as I've been busy with work and an outside interest that has taken most of my spare time up. Next week sees the arrival of my good friend Mr Wiles aka "wombatofludham" for a short visit so I'll be dusting the layout off and turfing the cats of the running lines ready for his arrival.

Stock wise I've recently bought a Bachmann Polybulk which once it's arrived I'll post a picture, my long time "on off" project to remotor a Limby Class 87 has staggered on with an hour or two spent on it when possible.

Anyway all the best and watch this space for another update.

Simon

Edited by bescotbeast
  • Like 6

Well with Mr Wiles inbound (should be on the M23 at least by now) I've spent a few hours cleaning the track all over the layout and hoovering every square inch (even the hard to get too corners) ready for a few intensive days of operating and shunting till he screams "enough is enough" .

16423693623_261206cb5b_b.jpgAll quiet on the Pendeford Front by bescotbeast, on Flickr with all the stock bar my new Polybulk and an old POA wagon, the yard is ready.

Happy Easter to you all.

Simon

• Like 10