Dearnford Junction

Trainsrgr8

Hello everyone!

Well i have finally come round to the thread again after getting a bit wound up with the blog idea! So from now on i will update this thread only and just forget about the blog. I will start off with a bit of background info on the layout and will then move to my latest update in my next post.

So, Dearnford Junction, named after the road i live on. Trackplan is pretty simple, two ovals of track, a station, crossover, bay platform and loco servicing depot (currently undergoing a serious rebuild). The layout is simple DC but i go have plans to move to DCC in the not too distant future. The whole layout is currently undergoing a serious rebuild so has not been fully operational since September now. :(

The stock i have is a variety from around the North West of England as that is where i live and the main location i go to photograph movements on the real railway. The layout is set on the Crewe - Shewsbury line today with fictional services to London operated by Virgin Trains, a service to and from Shewsbury via Dearnford from Liverpool ( operated by Northern rail, an excuse to run Merseyrail livered pacers really :P ) aswell as the usual Arriva Trains Wales runs and other things. The arrival of the bigger TMD that i am currently building will no doubt lead more loco hauled trains to Dearnford.

So a few pictures of how the layout was before september last year. Note the layout of the yard in the pictures, this has changed since...

220018copy.jpg

220018 awaits deprture from platform 1 with a service for London.

37229readytodepart.jpg

37229 awaits departure from the old yard with a short Fuel train.

SDC11088.jpg

resident shunter, 09006 shunts in the old yard

SDC11817.jpg

66135 hauls a Netork Rail RHTT train through Dearnford.

142045.jpg

Under the instruction of an old semaphore signal, 142045 departs with a train for Liverpool.

So since september there has been scenic and remoddeling works going on on the layout. The aims of these works is:

- Install working signals where nessarsary.

- Remodel the yard, with new trackplan and buildings.

- Improve general scenery all over the layout, taking sections as a time.

So, allready the corner of the board where the signal box used to stand has been remoddeled so the level crossing could be moved over to allow more space for the new yard..

Image027-1.jpg

SDC12805.jpg

SDC12804.jpg

SDC12803.jpg

I have also made an embankment for the church to sit on, adding more variety in the different height in an attempt to increase realism...

SDC12806.jpg

Image028-2.jpg

SDC12906.jpg

SDC12903.jpg

And finally i have started work on the remoddeling of the yard. The complete change to the trackplan from the old one can be seen in these images...

SDC12902.jpg

SDC12901.jpg

So that is how the layout stands at the moment. The post below shows the start of the work on the new shed i am scratchbuilding for the yard.

So, any comments welcome, posotive or negative as i allways like to know what everyone thinks of my work! :)

Regards,

Danny

*edit* Will - The details on my efforts of scratchbuilding the shed are starting to appear below! Thanks for your kind comments! :)

So as i said above, i have recently started work on the shed i am scratchbuilding for the depot. I have tried to keep the design as close to the low relief structure i built for my boxfile layout as i liked the look of what i had built there. Below are some quick snaps of how it looked last night. Appologies for the poor quality, they were took in low light on my iphone whilst i was getting rather tired :blink:

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

So what does everyone think, next hjob is to build the roof and fit the extensive interor lighting which i want to include in this building. Then the whole thing will need "planting" on the board.

What do people think??

Regards,

Danny

Ahh like the shed, Looks better than anyrhing I try and scratch build, mind you thats not saying much :P .

Seriosly the shed looks good.

Will

Thanks mate :) Few bits im not happy with and a few mistakes that i will correct by carefully placing some shrubs over them! But i think its cming together to plan!!

Danny

Hi Danny

I love the engine shed you have built there, very nice! :P

Just some quick question's: where have you got those speed limit signs from that are by the mersy rail 142 and the one entering your old TMD where it says "Stop"?

Where is the RHTT set from?

Sorry to bother you mate.

Dave,

Hello everyone!

During the downtime we have just experienced, i have been working on the shed more and more. the pictures below show it in it's current state...

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Tatty looking roof

IMG_0028.jpg

As you can see i have added a roof, and started on the detailing work including a slight weatherng (maybe not visable in some of these pictures, aswell as weeds nd shrubery that i could add before i "plant the building". I have also installed and wired in the interior lighting...

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

Sorry bout the quality of the photos, took on my phone and when there was alot of light coming through my window (not making the lighting look as good as it does in the dark)

Next jobs are to build the guttering and add some shelves and other details on the inside before planting on the layout and wiring up to the main power source.

I will take some better pictures with my propper camera when i get a chance, but for now, what does everyone think?

Danny

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Danny

I love the engine shed you have built there, very nice!

Just some quick question's: where have you got those speed limit signs from that are by the mersy rail 142 and the one entering your old TMD where it says "Stop"?

Where is the RHTT set from?

Sorry to bother you mate.

Dave,

Sorry Dave i completely missed your questions and only saw them on a browse through the thread just then! :rolleyes:

The signs are a mixture of things i have found from the internet or made myself on somputer graphics programmes. I use photoshop, but a similar effect could be achieved on paint or soemthing along those lines. The RHTT was sctratchbuilt using crude materials such as card and is extremely prototypically incorrect, doesnt get much running these days. I will be using propper kits andmore advanced skills to redo the set when i get a chance!

Not alothappening on the layout at the moment, drawing up plans for the control panel and carrying on with work on the depot. Will post some pictures when there is soemthing to post a picture of! :lol:

Regards,

Danny

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Well its been a while since my last update and to be perfectly honest, not alot has happened! :huh: Alot of the work i have been doing (Very slowly i might add) is under the board with wires and getting things ready to be plonked on the board. So last week i was working on the interior of the shed:

IMG_0037.jpg

I still want to get a pack of bachamann TMD workers and a few other bits and bobs to fit before the shed gets fitted to the board.

Well tonight i decided that i hadnt ran anything for about 3 months so a good running session was in order! So the whole layout was hooveredto get rid of the thick layer of dust and the track given a quick clean and hey presto! Appolgies for the quality of the images, they were took in the evening and some on my iphone, i will try to get some ones in better light soon! The shots below show how the layout currently is, with a little commentry....

...i went down to dearnford this evening after hearing that 37229 was fueling in the yard and that 47406 was due in. Got a nice position at the side of the line and 37229 could be seen sure enough taking on fuel on the fueling road.

SDC13167.jpg

Nothing happened really then for a while other than the usual units so i decided to head over to the yard and see if i could have a peep in the shed.

SDC13179.jpg

The shed was bear but whilst i was there i overheard the shunter say that 229 was due to depart very soon, so i scrambled back over to my original position securing a quick snap of a pacer heading to Liverpool as i did...

SDC13183.jpg

Back just in time as 229 rolled off the fueling road and paused at the ground signal (not fitted yet :P ) before errupting away with a light engine move to Gresty Bridge.

SDC13172.jpg

Another hour past and i was starting to think the spoon wasnt going to come but after an hour and half's wait she appeared, running some 80 minutes down. The 47 went straight into the shed for minor work on it's bufferbeams.

SDC13186.jpg

With the 47 tucked away in the shed i started to pack up my camera untill i heard the familer ying ying in the distance, scrambled my camera back out to get a shot of 66135 working the Deeside - Warrington Arpley loaded steel train via Shewsbury and Crewe, just as 220018 passed with a london train.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Then i decided enough was enough so i packed up and went home after an enjoyable evening spotting.

Well thats the layout as it currently looks, will try some better pictures soon, next jobs include fitting signals, fitting buffer lights aswell as detail in the shed, before ballasting starting, One the ballasting and the major stuff in the yard is complete i will turn my attention to another part of the layout. My aim is to have the regeneration works of the layout complete by september at the latetest.

Any comments much appretiated! :)

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Danny

I might have a go at making one myself, and loving the commentry on your pics, I would never think of something like that!

the shed looks mint too, it looks really good when that DRS 37 is parked outside!

Dave,

Thanks Danny

I might have a go at making one myself, and loving the commentry on your pics, I would never think of something like that!

the shed looks mint too, it looks really good when that DRS 37 is parked outside!

Dave,

Thanks Dave!! :) Tonight i hae been scratchbuilding a gangway connection for my 142. This is part of my ongoing detailing of the unit, which will now go on to the underfloor areas. Pictures to come tomorrow!

Danny

Archived