Traction longevity

Bon Accord reminded us of the Scottish J36

We shouldn't forget the NBR C class, aka J36. Some of them lasted right to the end of Scottish steam in June 1967, this from a design first built in 1888. No less than 30 members of this class were 70+ years of age when withdrawn. How many other classes can claim that so many members reached such an age in regular service? There can't be many.

It's quite amazing how long lived some steam engines were. In terms of numbers not sure if the J71 has the '36 beat but in 1948 the majority of the class were still in service (81 out of 120) and were 53 to 62 at the time.

Think I might have found a record for 'in-tact' age.

NER T2 0-8-0 survived without withdrawals from 1913 when the first was built, to 1960 when an accident damaged example was withdrawn. The first intentional withdrawal was in 1963, 50 years from the classes entry into service. Not a record in terms of overall age, but in terms of age to first withdrawal must be close to a record. The afformentioned J36 managed 43 years, the J71 47 years from entry into service to first intentional withdrawal.

I think the T2/Q6 can (just) be beaten in the longevity stakes by the NBR F class, aka J88.

First built in 1904 the class survived intact until 68341 was withdrawn in 1954 after it went for a swim in Kirkcaldy harbour (photos on this site!), with the first 'proper' withdrawal taking place the following year in 1955 - so the class managed 51 years of service before intentional withdrawal.

I think Philip Atkins wrote an article for Backtrack magazine about steam locomotive longevity (or lack of).  There were numerous examples of long-lived steam locomotives on British railways (small 'R'), including the Brighton "Terriers" (albeit rebuilt as the A1X form), Adams "Radial Tanks", Midland 2F, besides those already mentioned.  However these were relative youngsters compared to some British-built 0-6-0s in Spain, which celebrated over a century of regular service (but no telegram from Her Majesty).

The Class 455's where built in the 1980's with some of the phase 3 4557xx units having ex 508 trailer coaches which are 1970's theyre currently undergoing a refreshing C62 overhaul and soon to receive a new traction package for the three phase motors like the desiros so they can do the regenerative braking and get rid of the old control gear the idea being that it will be easier to convert them if they did put Overheads in and also this will mean they will last till 2030 plus so by then theyll be quite old.

I've not read of any intention to convert these to OLE - where have you heard this? 

It would be extremely difficult as either one coach would need major structural work to carry the pantograph and the heavy transformer, or a new new pantograph/transformer car would be needed for each set (which could replace the 508 trailer I suppose).  I can't see that being worthwhile on a 30-year-old unit especially as the "electric spine" only converts to OLE west of Basingstoke where the 455s don't go except possibly for major overhauls.  Any extension of the AC towards Waterloo would probably have to await replacement of the Waterloo area signalling which dates from around 1990 so will be life-expired about the same time as the 455s.

As I understand it the reason for conversion (as well as regenerative braking) is so they need less maintenance and therefore Wimbledon depot can also cater for some new units needed to cater for growing demand. 

• RMweb Premium

The Class 455's ... soon to receive a new traction package for the three phase motors

What three-phase motors?  Weren't the 455s built with the traditional EE507 DC motors recycled from scrapped 4-SUBs?  Or are they getting new motors as well?

What three-phase motors?  Weren't the 455s built with the traditional EE507 DC motors recycled from scrapped 4-SUBs?  Or are they getting new motors as well?

Correct they are amazing following good old Southern Railway practice of purchasing half a train (either new body or new chassis/traction package) and they were built by BR!

XF

... How many other classes can claim that so many members reached such an age in regular service? There can't be many.

I'll put a score on Status Quo...

They most certainley are powered by 507's however theyre getting old and converting to 3 phase is the preffered method as they are the most reliable units in our fleet it would be worthwhile to convert them to ohle if the time comes there very usefull to having no toilets so maximum seating i have also heard they are going to get strengthened to 10 cars and 5 car units using old 456 parts

Archived