Dutch 3d printed trains n stuff

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys.

It was indeed a bit expensive, but worth it :)

It's around 3 times as expensive as FUD, but I'm sure many people can use it as a master?

Alright some extra pictures.

I'm working on a new shop where I will be selling (no, this isn't me promoting myself ;) ) trains in Full Color Sandstone, with wheels in 1:450 as sort of collectibles.

You will probably be asking why would anyone want those small trains.

Well I created them especially for myself: I love 3d printing trains, but all of them look ugly without paint and as I'm not really good in painting like bmthtrains, i decided to make small (cheaper) trains in full color sandstone.

In addition, i created shells in color for 1:450 before, but those didnt have wheels :(

It looks rather cute in this size with wheels:

674x501_1339186_1413973_1381052524.jpg

674x501_1339141_1413980_1381053233.jpg

674x501_1339146_1413971_1381052493.jpg

Well that's it for now :)

Cheers,

Mitchell

• Like 3

Has anyone tried the new Brass material at Shapeways?

9fQLsLL.jpg

(1:160)

This is the unpolished version (with bit of polishing due to the casting process)

:preved: Wow!   

I do love the Regiorunner - they are lovely looking units, and nice to travel on . It would be nice to see a proper HO scale model - as i think the Rivarossi one is slightly undersize?

Regards

Jon 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys.

It was indeed a bit expensive, but worth it :)

It's around 3 times as expensive as FUD, but I'm sure many people can use it as a master?

Cheers,

Mitchell

That's a good point, it certainly looks good enough to be a master, and durable too.

I just love the colored trains :)

And on request a BSI coupler for 1:87

J7D9xtf.jpg

Looks good. Does the electrical cover roll back ? :) Would make a nice  addition to UK sprinter / pacer fleet although some differences exist.

Edited by stadman

@billbedford: I suspect that this was the sprue:

uLjIzLT.jpg

I got a message from the production team that they made a mistake by actually polishing the raw version a bit, they will not do this for future models (unless you order Polished Brass) so it might be better visible next time.

@Stadman: haha, no unfortunately not, it's too small for that :P

L8vqNme.jpg

I have to make some small adjustments as I actually made this model without any measurements, it seems that I have to make the model like 10% smaller:

IMG_20131016_180341.jpg

Hello.

I just dont know how you guys do things like that. Pretty much every single time I try to get something printed via Shapeways it gets rejected. I have never come across anything as frustrating as Shapeways rules and standards for thier materials, its like playing roulette with your parts if they get printed or not!

Missy :(

If you just follow the design rules you should be fine :)

Its a shame the design rules seem to keep on changing. It my latest batch of models sent to Shapeways I had one fail because a diameter was 0.01mm to small. There was also one that Shapeways requested I made the sprues about 3 times larger than the actual part I wanted. On N Gauge (or smaller) parts these becomme critical to the design. Oh and dont get me started on models that print then for some reason on repeat printing they fail!

Shapeways is not the panacea that everyone thinks it is. I have had models printed without any problems with other people and companies that Shapeways have failed.

Rant over!

Shapeways is not the panacea that everyone thinks it is. I have had models printed without any problems with other people and companies that Shapeways have failed.

Rant over!

Same here, I've had a model printed elsewhere and Shapeways have rejected it for FUD printing because the detail was too small!  The competition must either be able to ignore the fine detail or interpolate better.  One printer even complimented me on the quality of my CAD yet Shapeways wouldn't print it.

To be honest, I haven't had a single rejection in 2 years.

(around 200 printed models)

If you just follow the design rules you should be fine :)

for 1:160 I used FUD and a wall thickness of 0.8mm

I suspect this is because you are an employee, I know that I get a lot of stuff refused as the rules change from one month to the next, drawings are checked by different people using different interpretations of the rules. Recentlely had 2 sets of lamp posts order one double arm the other single arm, both test printed fine, but I decided to thicken them up a bit.

Double arms printed, singles refused on the arm thickness yet both are the same. Complain and was informed the drawings were checked by different people.

I suspect this is because you are an employee, I know that I get a lot of stuff refused as the rules change from one month to the next, drawings are checked by different people using different interpretations of the rules. Recentlely had 2 sets of lamp posts order one double arm the other single arm, both test printed fine, but I decided to thicken them up a bit.

Double arms printed, singles refused on the arm thickness yet both are the same. Complain and was informed the drawings were checked by different people.

Nah, that wouldn't make sense.

I don't order anything as employee, i still use my personal account for orders.

My orders are being checked the same as others, the production team can't see names of the models or the name of the designer.

As for the issue you had with the models: it's more the fact that we don't check a model on every single square cm like this:

http://i.imgur.com/DqIUi8u.jpg

They only check some parts on the model where they think it might be too thin.

I don't say that this is right and that this is best method, but that's just how it is right now.

We are working on some visualization which will help determine potential issues during upload.

As for the small details: just send an email to service@shapeways.com that you don't care about the details.

They will give you some additional store credit to cover shipping and will make sure that the models are being printed.

Reason for doing this: some people actually expect that the details on the render will all show up.

this leads to wrong expectations and (in the past) angry customers.

hope this bit of insight helps.

though let's not continue this conversation in this topic (i'm just here to show pictures)

Mitch

• RMweb Premium

I think Richard was implying that you have a better knowledge of what will and wont get rejected, rather than getting special treatment.

The issue of design rules changing can be a big problem for us designers. Better communication would help a lot. As well as telling us about new materials (in the regular emails), I would like to know about any changes. The usual way I find out is when something gets rejected, that has previously been printed.

That is indeed possible.

But it will be more experience i got from designing than actually because I work at Shapeways.

Last thing I want to say about the rejections, we haven't changed the design rules for a really long time.

So it's not that it changes from month to month.

The same rules are used when checking, though it's the "only checking a model partially" which leads to parts being rejected from time to time.

And yes, we need to improve it :)

As well as telling us about new materials (in the regular emails)

We do email when we launch a new material!

The last one about the new Steel finishes was emailed on the 24th with the subject: 3D Printspiration: Steel the spotlight!

We also only add new materials to existing models if other materials of that family are enabled.

So for the new steel finishes, they will only be activated if that model has the original steel enabled.

============

Now back on-topic :) To show this community some love as well:

bV7JcVJ.jpg

• Like 1