Little Dunmow

Shadow

Hi all,

Here's the plans and drawings for my latest attempt at a layout.

Hopefully this one will be small enough that it actually gets finished, (or should that really be, "gets started"!)

Previous attempts have all been a bit ambitious. Keeping this one small should make it easier.

The idea came from one that Iain Rice described in one of his books, Bildeston, from "Layout Design - Finescale in Small Spaces"

All that will be shown of the station is the end of the platform with the Goods Shed. The other end will be a signal box and possible a small business building. These will all help hide the exits.

Era will LNER (GER) steam / early BR, based in an area around Bishops Stortford/Braintree.

Scale will be OO using Peco code 75.

Board size is 4' x 2'

post-3744-0-74601300-1367959918_thumb.png

Google Sketchup images

post-3744-0-69404200-1367959880_thumb.png

post-3744-0-91925600-1367959883_thumb.png

post-3744-0-20489200-1367959887_thumb.png

Current state of play. Baseboards made up so far.

post-3744-0-76032800-1367959890_thumb.jpg

post-3744-0-62591900-1367959894_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Will watch this with interest as it's the area I grew up, I lived between Takeley and Great Dunmow and my house backed onto the line. A good book to get if you can is 'The Bishop's Stortford, Dunmow and Braintree Branch' by Peter Paye.

This area of Essex was really good for railways with the Thaxted branch, Saffron Walden branch and of course pushing down towards Maldon, Tolshunt.

This is the Goods shed that was at Great Dunmow.

It's got the flavour of what I would like to achieve, although I'm going to swap it around and do the reverse view.

post-3744-0-25114100-1368007808.jpg

Beechwood Photography's photos via Getty Images (and Flikr)

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine (who has no interest in model railways) lives in a village near Great Dunmow so I might point him here to see if I can tempt him to the dark side! Mwahahahahahah! :devil:

Been off work today, and in between chores (!!) did a bit of planning.

Had a few buildings that I have built in the past, just placed to get an idea of size, scale, etc..

post-3744-0-64338300-1368031447_thumb.jpg

post-3744-0-58299000-1368031452_thumb.jpg

post-3744-0-75006100-1368031459_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

If you want pictures taken of what remains, let me know. I rode along the track bed from Start Hill (where the track bed starts East of the M11) to the bridge in to Dunmow over the A120 only last Friday!

Good luck with the project - GER layouts rule OK!!!!

PGC,

Thanks for the offer. I've got quite a few photo's off the web and 'The Bishop's Stortford, Dunmow and Braintree Branch' by Peter Paye book.

Both have good references. Also, Rayne station is still standing and well photographed in colour, and is of a similar design.

Dave

Quite a lot of the branch still standing at Takeley, Easton Lodge etc also even at Stortford you'll see the remnants. Great Dunmow has probably fared the worse! I read in a book that one of the original plans was to connect the LUL from Ongar to Great Dunmow!

Even though they all appear to be to similar basic design, they do seem to vary in brick colour.

Some are cream (Takeley), some are cream and red (Rayne) and Dunmow appears to be red, 

and possibly a darker red/blue for the corners (although it's hard to tell, but some of the B&W

images appear to show different shades!)

Going for the all red here! (Although I do like the cream and red as at Rayne)

Hello Shadow,

As others have said its good to see another Essex branch line being modelled. Your chosen station name in reality would be almost on top of the site of the station at Felsted where I grew up. That station being definitely nearer to Lt Dunmow but I guess Felsted sounded more grand with its public school and of course later the sugar factory. I am building a 7mm scale model based on Felsted but with the inevitable compression. The era will be my childhood, 50s and 60s so mainly steam. The station house is still there but alas the signal box and overbridge have disappeared. Luckily there are some photos around to work from.

I hope your progress is quicker than mine and I look forward to developments.

Bob

PS Black Notley is another thread worth following

Edited by boeing757

Shaddow

You will find a lot of information, drawings and photographs of the 1865 architecture in the GERS Journal and on the Society web site www.gersociety.org.uk

Paul

Hi all,

Here's the plans and drawings for my latest attempt at a layout.

Hopefully this one will be small enough that it actually gets finished, (or should that really be, "gets started"!)

Previous attempts have all been a bit ambitious. Keeping this one small should make it easier.

The idea came from one that Iain Rice described in one of his books, Bildeston, from "Layout Design - Finescale in Small Spaces"

All that will be shown of the station is the end of the platform with the Goods Shed. The other end will be a signal box and possible a small business building. These will all help hide the exits.

Era will LNER (GER) steam / early BR, based in an area around Bishops Stortford/Braintree.

Scale will be OO using Peco code 75.

Board size is 4' x 2'

attachicon.gifLayout Plan.PNG

Google Sketchup images

attachicon.gifLayout 1.png

attachicon.gifLayout 2.png

attachicon.gifLayout 3.png

Current state of play. Baseboards made up so far.

attachicon.gifLayout Image 1.jpg

attachicon.gifLayout Image 2.jpg

• Like 1

Spent a few hours playing with SketchUp and changed the design of the goods shed.

I thought that it was slightly too large. I have now shrunk it down a bit in width.

Also made a mock up to see what it looks like.

Think that it's a better size know.

post-3744-0-60398000-1368821355_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Was just looking at the layout and wondered if there should be a trap point between the Main line and the Goods loop, or is it sufficient for the three way point to provide protection?

post-3744-0-31635000-1368909711_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would presume that the right-hand most of the three routes at the 3-way point would work in unison with the connected point on the main line. Consequently there would be no need for a trap point as it would be impossible for anything to get between the two points unless the route through the "crossover" was set appropriately.

Thanks Ray,

That's what I first thought when I did the initial layout in post #1, but was just checking!

It would have been easier to change now before I had started.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Quite a lot of the branch still standing at Takeley, Easton Lodge etc also even at Stortford you'll see the remnants. Great Dunmow has probably fared the worse! I read in a book that one of the original plans was to connect the LUL from Ongar to Great Dunmow!

It was proposed under the Light Railways act, but like many such proposals it wasn't proceeded with. IIRC it would have either meant moving the station at Ongar or the local cemetery. There was a layout based on the proposed line that appeared in a model railway magazine some years ago.

• 6 months later...

Looking good. I have been tempted by the Bildeston plan in Iain Rice's book myself, especially as I now work in the next village along...

I like the look of the goods shed, and the scalescenes brick looks the part too.