Hessle Model Railway Group open day 5th October 2013.

the penguin of doom

Hi all.

Thanks for looking in. On behalf of the Hessle MRG, I am very proud to announce our second open day to be held on Saturday 5th October 2013 at the Hessle Town Hall, South Lane, Hessle, East Yorkshire, HU13 0RR. Times to be confirmed and I will also post a map and directions in good time.

The Hessle Town Council recently awarded us a grant which has enabled us to stage a larger event than the one we held in 2011 and this time, we expect the open day to be twice the size of 2011. As this will be an open day, as opposed to an exhibition, there will be a seperate display of ongoing projects and demonstrations as well as a number of working layouts, both visiting and owned by the group.

Layouts confirmed so far are.....

Battersby North End, (OO).

Burythorpe, (N).

Vintage 3 rail, (OO).

Live Steam, (16mm/1ft).

Visiting layouts include Peffermill Road and the Stoneferry Tramway as well as one other, making Seven layouts in total. Once I've sorted out the Town Hall footprint, I hope we may have space for a few more layouts, but will confirm this as well as many more details of the layouts above in good time.

As well as the working layouts, we will be showing visitors what the group is up to and will be displaying a further three, (possibly four), layouts in various stages of completion in our demonstration section which will form a sort of "annexe" to the main display area. This section is intended to show local visitors and potential members what we do and will hopefully be a focal point for those wanting a good natter about all things railway. The layouts under construction include P4, OO and O gauge layouts. Also within this area, will be a demonstration of building construction from Alan who will also be displaying some of his excellent models based on Bridlington, link here.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/4806-bridlington-station-buildings/

I will also be showing some of my recent detailing projects, Including, (hopefully), a completed Trans - Pennine set, link to my thread here.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28223-the-penguins-workbench-trans-pennine-transformation-part-2/

There will also be a demonstration of weathering rolling stock from Andy at the Yorkshire Steam Navigation company, (TBC).

With regards to local interest groups, displays will be provided by the Hull Model Boat Group, The Hessle History Society and the Hull and Barnsley Railway Fund.

Finally, there will be the obligatory catering section where visitors can sit down with a brew and cake and have a natter!

Prices will reflect the size of the show, although have yet to be confirmed, but will hopefully be kept between £2 - £3. Children will be free if accompanied by a paying adult.

So, that's where we are at the moment, there's a lot to sort out between now and October and I will update on news as it happens. Please do come along and see us if you are nearby and/or get the chance. Last time, many RMwebbers looked in and introduced themselves, and it was great to put faces to names.

Cheers.

Sean and the Hessle MRG.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all.

With around six weeks to go before our open day, I thought it was about time I put an update on the thread and attempted to drum up some support.

So, we have a final line up of exhibitors and a floor plan that has changed often, (and may do so again), and the order is out for the catering supplies - we all love cake and a brew don't we.

So our open day this time will be bigger than last time with the main hall being used for our completed layouts, (if a layout is ever complete), and the smaller front room given over to displays of work in progress and a third room allocated to our friends at the Hull Boat Club. Members of this club exhibited last time and were very well received given Hulls maritime connections.

Layouts to be exhibited include.....

Battersby North End. OO gauge 1980's

16mm/1ft live steam. Freelance with the chance to have a go at driving

Burythorpe. N gauge preserved railway loosely based on a number of locations.

Hornby Dublo 3 rail display.

Peffermill Road. EM gauge provided by a friend of the group.

Stoneferry Tramway. OO gauge layout concept display based on local working practices also provided by a friend of the group.

Narrow Gauge Quarry. Supplied by one of our members, (John, if you're reading, I still need your layout blurb!).

In the "Work in progress" section, we hope to have.....

O gauge layout based around a small Scottish terminus

OO gauge junior layout

P4 layout based on Boston Docks

Building construction display, including our attempts at the buildings around Bridlington

Modifying RTR rolling stock - The Penguin of Doom of this parish

Painting and weathering rolling stock - Eric and Gripper of this parish

Displays will also be provided by.....

The Hull and Barnsley Fund

Yorkshire Wolds Railway

Hessle History Society

All in all, a very full line up and hopefully something for everyone. Entry to the open day will be the princely sum of £2 per adult and accompanied children come in for free. The open day takes place on Saturday 5th October from 1000 - 1630, at The Hessle Town Hall, South Lane, Hessle, East Yorkshire, HU13 0RR. The Town Hall is fully accessable to the less able.

It would be great to see as many RMwebbers attend as possible, and if you can make it along, please let me know beforehand or look me up at the show. I'm sure I can see my way to getting the brews in prior to a good natter.

Right, I'll be spending the next few weeks dropping flyers on the good people of Hessle. Hope to see you on the day.

Cheers.

Sean and the Hessle MRG.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

With less than 10 days to go, everything seems to be going to plan. Mind, I've said it now! It remains to be seen if the apparent calm is indeed, that before the storm, but I'm quietly confident all is well.

Of course, once the floor plan is transposed onto the actual floor in the hall, this calm may suddenly change.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi all.

Thanks for looking in. It's less than 48 hours to go before the doors open and I've reached the point where everything appears to be done, but I have the distinct impression that I've missed something.....

Time will tell!

Tomorrow morning, after night shift, I will be going to place the markings on the floor and this will be when I'll know if everthing fits! After that, (if all goes well with the marking out), it's off into Hessle to purchase ingredients for the home made cakes. Mrs Penguin has left me a shopping list for the ingredients for flap jack and muffins. Matt has provided us with a mountain of tea bags and seemingly endless amounts of coffee. I'm beginning to think this is looking more like a food festival rather than an open day, but hey, you can't beat a cuppa, piece of cake and a natter.

So, if you fancy a brew, please come along and say hi. In the meantime, I'm hoping to be able to post tomorrow evening that all is well!

Wish me luck.

Cheers.

Sean.

Well!

It all fits in the allotted spaces. Hopefully there's been no faux pas with the layout dimensions or it'll be a real bind!

Myself and Mrs Penguin have had a busy day planning, baking, packing and re-checking and it's all systems go.

Early night tonight I think ready for a long, (but hopefully very enjoyable), day, setting up from 7.30am!

See y'all there.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi all.

Just back from what has turned out to have been a very good day for the group and very enjoyable to boot.

There were one or two issues such as limited parking and signs to the venue which we will hopefully address for next time, but in all, comments were positive.

I'd just like to say thanks to all the RMwebbers who came to say hello and have a natter over a brew and to those exhibitors who visit RMweb too and who helped to make the day a big success.

Right, I've got a couple of bottles of Black Sheep in the fridge, I think I've earnt them! ;o)

Cheers.

Sean.

Many thanks, Sean, for organizing such a friendly day. I really enjoyed my visit and it was great to see what is going on within the group. And I scored a couple of bargains on the second-hand stall ;)

Thanks for your support James.

I thought I saw you trying to hide that Hornby purchase. ;o)

Hopefully catch up again at Scalefour North.

Cheers.

Sean.

I too am indulging in Black Sheep following an exhausting but most enjoyable day. Many thanks to all who contributed.

Some pictures;[

post-432-0-03258400-1381002256.jpg

Hull Model Boat Club - absolutely stunning models

post-432-0-39111100-1381002274.jpg

post-432-0-46211700-1381002292.jpg

Hessle History Society

post-432-0-39786200-1381002309.jpg

Hull & Barnsley Fund

post-432-0-61589800-1381002326.jpg

Hessle MRG Juniors Section

post-432-0-29253200-1381002346.jpg

Buildings for Cayton Bay by Alan Smith and the Penguin of Doom

post-432-0-45202000-1381002362.jpg

Display by the Penguin of Doom

post-432-0-80521100-1381002377.jpg

Hessle MRG O Gauge layout, work in progress

post-432-0-45791000-1381002398.jpg

post-432-0-31641500-1381002415.jpg

post-432-0-76906100-1381002432.jpg

post-432-0-88130900-1381002451.jpg

My own attempt at P4 - Boston Frodsham, work in progress

post-432-0-31316900-1381002470.jpg

post-432-0-25907500-1381002486.jpg

Peffermill Road by the Hull lads.

post-432-0-81473700-1381002502.jpg

Penzhale Bay (?) by our very own John Suddaby

post-432-0-00098600-1381002519.jpg

Live steam layout, though I seem to have missed the train!

post-432-0-20009600-1381002537.jpg

Burythorpe Hessle MRG N Gauge section

post-432-0-86226600-1381002563.jpg

Vintage Hornby 3 rail

post-432-0-32188200-1381002590.jpg

Big Mali giving the hard sell on the second hand stall

post-432-0-73563800-1381002605.jpg

Archived