The One-Turnout Layout

Guest Jim Read

Hello Pete and Hello all,

I think I can see a solution to the boredom problem with a small layout, as I see it the cause is lack of operating interest, and of course this is just my personal opinion having made a prototypical layout in 1980 got bored with it and designed my own for operating interest ever since.

So here's my ten pence worth just been into the garage to take this pic, the layout is hooked onto the wall keeps it out of the way when I'm listening to my (DIY) audio;

2agupgy.jpg

Starting at the top left;

Coal staithes, dumps for sand and gravel and a small platform, in order to get something out I have to move whats in front of it and then put it back. Five wagons/vans here.

The centre road into a platform, vans and/or a workman's coach. Three wagons/vans or 1 wagon and the coach.

Bottom road into a factory (the door slides) this movement must be accomplished with a wagon in front of the loco. Two wagons/vans, can get three in here for shunting requirements.

That's five different things and juggling those about to swap two or three wagons can take 1/2 an hour or so. With 12 wagons plus the coach on the whole layout it can take 4/5 hours for anything to repeat itself.

It's Reely Grate.

Cheers - Jim

Hello Pete and Hello all,

I think I can see a solution to the boredom problem with a small layout, as I see it the cause is lack of operating interest, and of course this is just my personal opinion having made a prototypical layout in 1980 got bored with it and designed my own for operating interest ever since.

So here's my ten pence worth just been into the garage to take this pic, the layout is hooked onto the wall keeps it out of the way when I'm listening to my (DIY) audio;

2agupgy.jpg

Starting at the top left;

Coal staithes, dumps for sand and gravel and a small platform, in order to get something out I have to move whats in front of it and then put it back. Five wagons/vans here.

The centre road into a platform, vans and/or a workman's coach. Three wagons/vans or 1 wagon and the coach.

Bottom road into a factory (the door slides) this movement must be accomplished with a wagon in front of the loco. Two wagons/vans, can get three in here for shunting requirements.

That's five different things and juggling those about to swap two or three wagons can take 1/2 an hour or so. With 12 wagons plus the coach on the whole layout it can take 4/5 hours for anything to repeat itself.

It's Reely Grate.

Cheers - Jim

I'm considering something similar in P4, mainly to keep my hand in while I'm not in a position to consider anything more ambitious. Of course, the need for somewhat more generous curves means that the overall length isn't reduced by much; I reckon it will be doable in 4 feet by 12 to 16 inches, maybe a little less.

Archived