Why are the J94/WD austerity 0-6-0's Unloved?

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Premium
On 09/01/2020 at 18:05, doilum said:

The only problem with the brass J94 was that the Chinese factory scaled up the 2mm model complete with all the boiler compromises. I think I even saw a 10mm version, but that might have been a cheese and ale induced nightmare!  Mercian do an accurate and easy to build kit, or, they make a good first scratch building project.

If you want an O gauge J94/Austerity then you can start with the Premier Components frame kit including coupling rods for £37, plus Slaters drivers at around £66 and motor/gearbox of choice  http://www.premiercomponents.co.uk/Locomotive_FrameKits_lner.html

Build the rest, John Fownes has done one in card, or plasticard, brass or nickel silver. Even alu drink can could work for the tank.

Dava

• Like 1

My collection in order.

Diana was a scratch build project using a 4mm drawing from Railway Modeller and a calculator. I got the superstructure built quickly and then it was put away as work, a WD, J39 and house move got in the way. When I retired in 2012, I was treated to a trio of industrial locomotive kits, the first opened was a Mercian Austerity. To my delight this included an optional nickel silver chassis. I dug out the previous attempt and found I had all the major dimensions correct and proceeded to assemble the brass chassis and complete the model. My only regret is that I did not notice the handrails under the tank and it is all but impossible to retro fit them.

Wheldale is the Mercian kit as provided. I just modelled the correct steps and distinctive ladders and is painted in final condition green. I am aware that nameplates were a post preservation addition, but it is my model.

The kit also included the high bunker option and, one wet weekend, this somehow morphed into Antwerp. The bunker was a post preservation modification by the NYM rly, but it is my model.....

If anyone needs a Lampton cab send me a pm.

Just to complete the line up is S112 the ,50550 from Ackton Hall, but that is another story.

IMG_20200124_084836.jpg

IMG_20200124_084857.jpg

IMG_20200124_084905.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Dava said:

If you want an O gauge J94/Austerity then you can start with the Premier Components frame kit including coupling rods for £37, plus Slaters drivers at around £66 and motor/gearbox of choice  http://www.premiercomponents.co.uk/Locomotive_FrameKits_lner.html

Build the rest, John Fownes has done one in card, or plasticard, brass or nickel silver. Even alu drink can could work for the tank.

Dava

This is an excellent way forward. I would suggest either plastikard or about £15 worth of brass from the modelling shop.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 04/01/2010 at 20:39, LH&JC said:

I think part of it is the attitude that exists within some preservationists that if it isn't BR then its not worth 2p so hey presto austerities are made to look like J94s and I believe that the Mid Hants want to convert one of theirs to look like a black motor! :angry: And its not just austerities that are insulted by been made to look like a 'main line' company loco.:( The industrial scene is just as if not more interesting than the 'main line' scene and don't forget that the first steam locos were industrials and they lasted longer than BR steam. (VoR excepted)

Going off topic slightly it seems that some people have the same attitude with steam rollers, so some brass, a longer canopy, a fancy paint job and generally speaking a re wired motor is added as a dynamo, and they are passed off as Showman's Engines.

I’m incredibly late to the party here, but that engine was converted to look like Douglas from the Railway Series. Last I heard it was at the East Lancs. We do have one that was converted to a side tank to look like Thomas (the MHR seems to have a thing for conversions!). It’s affectionately called Dave but handles like a Hornby Pug on steroids! A friend and I still talk about trying to turn Dave back to its Austerity form.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

I’m incredibly late to the party here, but that engine was converted to look like Douglas from the Railway Series. Last I heard it was at the East Lancs. We do have one that was converted to a side tank to look like Thomas (the MHR seems to have a thing for conversions!). It’s affectionately called Dave but handles like a Hornby Pug on steroids! A friend and I still talk about trying to turn Dave back to its Austerity form.

I have no problems with conversions. My great wish would be that one or two that are currently dismantled and disappearing into the weeds could be returned to at least display condition. There is only so much money, skill and end use to go round and we may have to rethink a future for our industrial locomotives.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

BEN_BUCKI_East-Lancs-Railway_2890_Bury_02_02.2019_04.JPG.9a7159348eae2947f28c7566be92ba29.JPG

It was out on test when we visited the ELR this time last year.  I know it's a fake, and I am a big fan of the Austerity tank loco, but I have to say, I don't mind this one too much personally.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Ben B said:

BEN_BUCKI_East-Lancs-Railway_2890_Bury_02_02.2019_04.JPG.9a7159348eae2947f28c7566be92ba29.JPG

It was out on test when we visited the ELR this time last year.  I know it's a fake, and I am a big fan of the Austerity tank loco, but I have to say, I don't mind this one too much personally.

Personally I love it - it’s a different and effective way of reusing an engine that unfortunately had no certain future in its original form. Couldn’t the same be said of Bulleid’s ‘Light Pacific’s when they were rebuilt? The only grievance I have with it is that monstrous Fowler tender behind it; the proportions are completely off! Maybe a custom-built smaller tender would be more effective, but just my opinion.

• Like 1

Personally, I rather like this, captures the spirit of the original illustrations. 

3859D58C-BA63-4D48-A2C8-3565D8C37B90.jpeg.81471f2f580ec5fc51c3e838201849d6.jpeg

actually, I like both the conversions shown, and why not? They are authentic steam-age Engineering, doing the sort of task and in the sort of surroundings, which were largely the province of 0-6-0 types throughout the steam revenue service era. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/04/2016 at 12:42, Jongudmund said:

The Pontypool & Blaenavon railway has a lovely Austerity in Mech Navvies livery.

The thing out of place on this line is of course the big fat coaches! EDIT: Just seen there's a pic of this on the previous page as well.

post-13501-0-55999600-1461411619_thumb.jpg

Crikey! That's out of the archive! Must have been 2016... That's my fireman, Mr. Perham. The ugly bloke with the brown cap is.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The big thing that counts in favour of the 18" Hunslets, is that there is still quite a lot of them. There is a lot of knowledge about them from a maintenance perspective. Most of the parts are fairly cost effective to procure, and things like batch production can sometimes be used to advantage. 

The basic loco is as tough as old boot, and is an excellent nursery locomotive. An entire generation has grown up learning to fire to the Hunslet, and how to get the best of them. The locomotive can be 'worked up'  to a very high standard, both cosmetically & mechanically.  From an operating viewpoint, I'd much rather an Austerity than a pre-grouping locomotive. Sure, I like pre-grouping locomotives, but when you're the driver, you don't want any fuss or bother... Or, more importantly, unique features to the non-standard loco (in this case ) can lead to problems that can cripple the locomotive. I have witnessed a driver cripple a loco because the person concerned didn't know or understand his charge. If you've passed on a 18" Hunslet, you've got a better than average chance of keeping the loco in good condition. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2010 at 08:20, papagolfjuliet said:

I seem to recall that 'Antwerp' used to manage the 18 miles from Grosmont to Pickering on one tank of water with five on, but she would of course need to be watered at each end of the line after every trip.

Reviving this thread because we may be about to find out whether my memory was correct: 68030 has now moved from Llangollen to Grosmont for overhaul. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/61796596150/permalink/10163289063601151/

• RMweb Premium
On 19/07/2023 at 10:10, papagolfjuliet said:

Reviving this thread because we may be about to find out whether my memory was correct: 68030 has now moved from Llangollen to Grosmont for overhaul. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/61796596150/permalink/10163289063601151/

Gifted by the Standard 4 Group (along with 80136) to the NYMR. The boiler is currently being overhauled in Manchester.