Why are the J94/WD austerity 0-6-0's Unloved?

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Premium

The problem I have with Austerities on heritage railways is that they are doubly inauthentic: not only do they not resemble any locomotive that hauled passenger trains on the main-line railway; they also don't resemble any locomotive used on a Colonel Stephens-style light railway because they are too modern - by the time they were built, most of the passenger-carrying light railways had been closed.

• Like 1

Guest Natalie Graham

I would imagine that if nearly every preserved line train was double-headed by Evening Star and City of Truro then the chance of a ride behind an austerity 0-6-0ST would be quite a crowd-puller. As it is they seemed to become ubiquitous and when you visit a line that has a number of unique preserved locos it is rather disappointing to see yet another austerity as the operating loco.

• RMweb Premium

They were cheap, easy to maintain and reasonably easy to drive and fire ( firing at South Hetton involved chucking another lump of coal in). Very powerful for their size ( was on the footplate at South Hetton while one pushed a loaded MGR + a stalled 37 out of the yard and onto the mainline which was a tad exciting!)

They are one of a reasonably small number of industrials preserved in the UK and I don't mind travelling behind them. Some may have actually been a J94 before re-appearing via Hunslet to a coal/industrial user so can be liveried as such. Not all had the bunkers modified by the LNER - but you could do one if so inclined to make it more of a "J94". It would then be more authentic than a certain "A1" travelling the rails in the UK.

However there is another side to this -do you include travelling behind the Broad Gauge Hunslet 18"? Ie the GWR Broad Gauge locomotive which was built around a Hunslet 18" boiler from the Wigan area? How authentic is that?

• 4 weeks later...

Having now learnt a bit more about the 'Austerities' I thought I would add my two penny worth. Not a lot has been mentioned here of the role the 'Austerities' during WW2 and in post war Army use. I have recently discovered that there is a 1944 built 'Austerity' at a certain 'Heritage Railway' not that far from where I live and that for some time it was finished and operated in its original Army livery, complete with an Army nameplate (original or replica?) showing the name it was given in 1955. Sadly the operators have seen fit to give it a fictitious BR identity by painting it black and applying a BR number and logos. I guess this is to try and make it 'more appealing' to visitors to the railway.

What a sad way to treat a wartime survivor, surely we should be promoting locos like this and celibrating their War Department history. I admit to being biased here, being ex-forces like this particular Austerity.

Edited by Matchless
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The problem I have with Austerities on heritage railways is that they are doubly inauthentic: not only do they not resemble any locomotive that hauled passenger trains on the main-line railway; they also don't resemble any locomotive used on a Colonel Stephens-style light railway because they are too modern - by the time they were built, most of the passenger-carrying light railways had been closed.

I suppose that their use on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire under Army ownership gives them a certain amount of 'licence' for use on Col. Stephens-style light railways; more so perhaps than, say, the 42XX, Norwegian mogul and Crompton currently at the KESR (no criticism intended). I'm quite sure that if the Colonel had been around after the war he would have snapped up a couple of dozen of the things.

• Like 1

I'm slightly biased and these are one of my fave standard gauge locos. When I travel round visiting different railways it is interesting to see all of the changes made to them throughout their working lives. In the autumn I got a chance to look at the HC built Austerity based in Rotterdam.

Some of the other 18" Hunslet designs (48150 & 50550) have gained some modifications and can look like the 'standard' Austerity to the untrained eye. I use 'standard' as the design was modified with experience.

Many of the locos built outside Leeds gained HE plates when they had major overhauls at Leeds.

These and Quarry Hunslets are the most iconic locos that we have at the preserved railways.

Sadly the operators have seen fit to give it a fictitious BR identity by painting it black and applying a BR number and logos. I guess this is to try and make it 'more appealing' to visitors to the railway.

I don't think this practice is the sole preserve of 'Austerity' owners.

We regularly see preserved steam and diesels masquerading on both the main line and heritage lines under 'assumed identities'.

If it's acceptable to renumber a mainline certified Cl.50 then why not an 18" Hunslet ?

Bunking NCB sites around the South Wales valleys I saw many, a number of which were so dirty you couldn't tell what colour they really were - how many preserved locos are as grotty as they were when working for BR ?

Because of their numbers, design and build quality, they were still around when the preservation scene was just getting off the ground, no one knew how succesful railway preservation may become so money was tight and when you could pick up a six coupled 'austerity' for almost scrap value and have it running reasonably quickly the same couldn't be said for a rusting hulk from Woodhams.

Anyway, as the photo shows, I like 'Austerities'.

Brian R

post-1599-0-15283200-1330067778_thumb.jpg

I recently emailed Peak Rail enquiring as to why WD150 had been painted black and given a BR identity, mentioning that it was shame to see this particular loco liveried this way. The reply I recieved stated that 'Royal Pioneer' was in need of a repaint and they decided to paint it black however, the reply also stated "it may appear again as WD150 in the not too distant future". Lets hope so.

I guess it's a difficult balance for Heritage Railways, do they preserve and restoring locos to their original state, or do they try to please the paying public by running what they believe the public want to see. Given the above, it might be that I wasn't the only one to comment on WD150 loosing it's identity...

Edited by Matchless
  • Like 1

Talking of un-loved Austerities, I see that 'Sapper' has gone the same way at the East Lancs Railway. It now sports NCB livery! :swoon:

www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/6928950561

In fairness, that is a transition that no end of the prototype made (even if this particular machine may not have done), and is certainly more appropriate for the physical condition of this particular machine which has a chimney and smokebox door indicative of the draughting modifications made as part of Hunslet rebuilds (of ex-army machines) and the army did not, as it happens, own any of those... The markings appear to be on removable vinyls in any event.

Adam

Although built for the War Department, 'Sapper' worked many years for the NCB, first as 'Alison' at various pits around the NW and then better known as 'Joseph' at Bold Colliery at the time of the Rainhill 150 celebrations. Certainly the current livery is better suited to the appearance of the loco although I'm intrigued to know when the underfeed stoker chimney and smokebox door were added as, when running at Bold it had a conventional chimney and smokebox door.

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/archive/search.htm?location=Bold&srch=&page=0

• Like 1

Hmm... Seems I need to brush up even more on my knowledge of these Locos however, I reckon I'm biased being ex-forces :read:

Is there a definitive history of these Austerity locos one can access anywhere?

Edited by Matchless

• RMweb Gold

As many of you know, i produce many 4mm scale detailing parts for these locos and this is purely because these are my 2nd favourite locomotive.

Why? not too sure, just like the look of them and from a modellers point of view plenty of variations!

Funny enough though and much to my surprise last week, i passed 68030 on the back of a low loader on the A5 not far from shrewsbury, guessing that it came from Llangollen Railway?

• 1 month later...

Very interesting discussion to which I'd like to add a couple of points. I think it's a mistake to categorise the Austerity as a small loco - it is nothing of the sort. Its power classification was 4F, and its design brief required it to be able to move 1,100 tons on the flat, which a bit of mental maths suggests is the equivalent to two express trains with their locos. Mind you, it couldn't move them very fast! The lubrication system as built was crude, and not suitable for speed or long journeys. Most locos still in use have been fitted with mechanical lubricators instead.

On the subject of spurious liveries, let's be realistic: preserved railways may be run BY enthusiasts, but by and large they're not run FOR enthusiasts, and any that are will quickly find themselves in financial difficulty. We're all trying to attract the general public, Mum and Dad and 2.4 children and the grandparents if we're lucky, and I don't think the general public are the least bit bothered about the authenticity of the livery. So long as it chuffs and goes, and there are ice creams for the kids and a cup of tea for Mum and a toilet for Granny, they're happy and so are we.

Also there's one other factor no one has mentioned, so I will. I am a part-owner of an Austerity. We're a bunch of ordinary blokes, but we've raised about £100,000 between us to fund its purchase and restoration, and apart from the boilerwork we're doing it all ourselves.

We think this means that if we want to paint it pink and call it "Gladys", we will. Anyone who's offended by this is welcome to get their own loco and be as authentic as they like.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Saw in the works yesterday at GCR there was an Austerity with a note on it to say "This is not a J94".

Many loco owners will and can paint them in whatever colour they like. However many kids will see a steam engine if it is a blue tank loco (even saddle tank) I have heard them call it Thomas.

I personally like to see Austerity tanks in WD or industrial markings and I think they are more attractive than black as mock J94's. GCR had a nice HE example parked outside as well.

Not loved perhaps, but effective:

post-7346-0-59781800-1334581232_thumb.jpg

post-7346-0-78674500-1334581260_thumb.jpg

post-7346-0-83307100-1334581289_thumb.jpg

post-7346-0-57748300-1334581321_thumb.jpg

post-7346-0-57166600-1334581351_thumb.jpg

post-7346-0-92924500-1334581386_thumb.jpg

As seen yesterday at SRPS

I have a soft spot for them, if only because my first ride behind a steam engine, at age 7 or so was on the reopening day at Mid Hants (or so I believe) when Errol Lonsdale/WD196 hauled the second train on the reopened line. (Obviously we weren't important enough to get on the first train!)

• Like 1

Speaking of watering, I wonder how the "ex Austerity" on the Mid Hants fares now it has a tender instead of a tank. Perhaps PhilH can comment ?

I know some disapprove of this hybrid, but hey, it's different, and serves a purpose. The only problem I have with it is the buffer beam area. I think the MHR engineers should have chopped the beams down to give it a sorta authentic bufferbeam look.

Hi, does anyone have a pic of this engine somewhere? I rather like oddities such as this one, and it would be nice to take a peek at how well they have captured the characters from the books

• RMweb Gold

I suppose that their use on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire under Army ownership gives them a certain amount of 'licence' for use on Col. Stephens-style light railways; more so perhaps than, say, the 42XX, Norwegian mogul and Crompton currently at the KESR (no criticism intended). I'm quite sure that if the Colonel had been around after the war he would have snapped up a couple of dozen of the things.

I think you are spot on. I have read a lot of the history of Colonel Stephens and his railways and had he lived and worked long enough he would certainly have been front of the queue for these locos and the mark 1 coaches on withdrawal too! I think that the KESR created a smashing light railway atmosphere by picking up bits and pieces in a stephens-like approach as opposed to trying the impossible of recreating what the KESR's trains looked like in its heyday. The KESR inspired my interest in Col. Stephens as well as prompting me to work there as a volunteer in my teens. Plus, austerities make lots of noise and smoke and make you smile:

post-12721-0-64591100-1334597243_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...