Rolls Royce industrial Shunter

While walking on the " High Peak Trail " I saw this industrial Shunter in a car park. It is very unusual in design, is there anyone out there who knows about  and can give some historical background to it ? 

post-16028-0-27262100-1368392428_thumb.jpg

post-16028-0-02276200-1368392467_thumb.jpg

post-16028-0-47873400-1368392496_thumb.jpg

post-16028-0-22852200-1368392527_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Unfortunately this shunter has really suffered over the past 8 months. The radiator was intact and a number of the panels on the engine cover were present. I've been watching its slow demise. I don't know if it is kids or scrap metal thieves.

It's all very sad.

There's a plaque in it some where that says it belongs to the Bahamas railway society.

• Like 1

It does look in a considerably worse state than when I last saw it 15 years ago.  It was previously at Dinting, hence its connection to the Bahamas Society.  

By coincidence after posting the photo of the two MR locos at Smalldale - Post #8 in the Standard Gauge Tin Turtle topic - I have been wondering whether to post a new topic on ICI Buxton's 'first generation' diesels.  In addition to RS8, the subject of the above photos, they also rebuilt several Ruston diesels to the similar strange appearance with raised cabs and lowered bonnets for use at Tunstead and Hindlow, most of which I photographed there or elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

For anyone interested, Tarmac are now running a website on its restoration - http://rs8restoration.co.uk/index.htm - and there are a few historic photos there from quarry archives.  A number of RS8's parts have already found their way up (back) to Tunstead as the restoration gets under way. The seized torque converter (which was the reason we approached Tarmac in the first place) turned out to be much less severe than we had feared.

Although the restoration workis taking place in the quarry workshops, some way from the rail system, it is more than likely that RS8 will find itself back in the quarry eventually.  

• Like 4

Really glad to hear RS-8 is being restored, I also first stumbled on it whilst walking in the Wirksworth area and was intrigued to discover the history of the loco via Google when I returned home. Suitably inspired, I scratch built a model a couple of years or so back around a spare basic Hornby 0-4-0 chassis - hence it is a little over scale for 4mm. Excuse the poor photos and rather bright yellow livery that had just been applied, it has been toned down somewhat since the photo was taken, honest! Sadly due to the size issue it doesn't see any use currently, but may in due course be modified to fit a more suitable chassis.

post-28743-0-93490300-1498134885_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-43874500-1498134835_thumb.jpg

EDIT TO ADD MORE RECENT PHOTOS:

post-28743-0-97023400-1498414387_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-66079400-1498414426_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-99997400-1498414451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 15

When I first saw this loco next to the High Peak Trail I was intrigued by the height of the cab with its flat roof and the covered cab entrance (presumably a safeguard when loading stone from overhead hoppers).

Does anyone know if it still fits within UK loading gauge, or whether the apparent height is just an optical illusion caused by the fairly low bonnet?

Better yet, do any dimensioned plans exist of this loco?

Edit: PGH's excellent thread on the Tunstead locos (many weird and wonderful machines of which RS-8 was one) is well worth a look: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72947-ici-buxton-tunstead-etc-railways-in-the-1960s/

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69

When I first saw this loco next to the High Peak Trail I was intrigued by the height of the cab with its flat roof and the covered cab entrance (presumably a safeguard when loading stone from overhead hoppers).

Does anyone know if it still fits within UK loading gauge, or whether the apparent height is just an optical illusion caused by the fairly low bonnet?

Better yet, do any dimensioned plans exist of this loco?

Edit: PGH's excellent thread on the Tunstead locos (many weird and wonderful machines of which RS-8 was one) is well worth a look: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72947-ici-buxton-tunstead-etc-railways-in-the-1960s/

Cheers,

Martyn.

If you look at this photo of it next a shunter it doesn't seem to be any taller than a standard loco. I think it's just the weird proportions and the tiny wheels that make it look bigger than it is.

https://inlanding.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/img_5414.jpg

If you look at this photo of it next a shunter it doesn't seem to be any taller than a standard loco. I think it's just the weird proportions and the tiny wheels that make it look bigger than it is.

https://inlanding.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/img_5414.jpg

Yes I expect you are right, it just seems very oddly proportioned when you stand next to it; then when you realise the "boxes" under the cab (fuel tanks from what I could make out - the fillers extend out of the front - the gearbox iirc was between them under the cab floor) mean that the cab floor is somewhat higher than on most comparable locos. The cab is also fairly narrow which compounds the tall look.

• 1 year later...

Impressive progress. Even if it's not the prettiest engine out there, it's a notable historical artefact and so I'm glad it's being restored.

Thanks for sharing, absolutely fantastic to see after the state it was in. I found a YouTube clip of the loco being used to move the crane around whilst at Dinting many years ago, which is worth a look for those interested:

https://youtu.be/JD7lC0_Eguo

• 10 months later...